Mig 21 "Battle Damage"

This is the fine 1/72 Mig 21 “Battle Damage” reboxed by Lindberg.

boxart.jpg

The original kit was produced by IMC in the 1960s. Its trick feature was that you could build the kit with molded “battle damage”. I needed a quick fix for building something so did this in a weekend. The build process is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973002-mig-21-battle-damage;-a-weekend-build/. I only did this kit to play with the battle damage feature. There was not any considerations to how accurate a kit this is, what needed to be done to correct it; the sole purpose was to play with painting the battle damage and having fun. Here are the results

DSCN4270.jpg

DSCN4272.jpg

DSCN4274.jpg

DSCN4275.jpg

DSCN4277.jpg

DSCN4278.jpg

DSCN4280.jpg

DSCN4282.jpg

DSCN4285.jpg

DSCN4288.jpg

If you want to revisit the days when you just brought a kit home to get it built and play with it in the same afternoon, this is the kit for you. It was a blast. As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 8

Plastic Pilot should get a medal for landing that in one piece! great fun model very well finished

• Like 2

Hi George:

Great build you have done with this one!!!!

Just a kit for a quick build as you said, and was wondering how many people have got a lot of memories watching your masterpiece....BTW, I remember when here in my country there were a Hobby Shop who sold the IMC old models with those nice old rectangular boxes and, with my access to internet and Ebay have luckily bought all the collection of "Hawk / IMC Battle Damaged Kits".

The reason: I watched the ones sold by Lindberg (I have bought two each, except for the Phantom who I bought more than seven....) and found there are some diferences between those old models and the new ones and, having checked my Spare Parts Depot, foound some canopies and other pieces left from previous builds confirming this.

The missing link in the Lindberg collection are the Skyraider and F105, but anyway, the job you have done with this one is superb and deserves a Hat's off and Standing Ovation!!!! Ok, what about theother ones to make a nice companion to this nice build???'

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Luis,

If I find another one of these at my local hobby shop, I will definitely get it to build. I know there wa a series of them, but I could not remember what kits were made. It was great fun to build.

• Like 1

Ah! The halcyon days when models were to be played with. Dogfighting MiGs and 109's when painting them was for the experts. Still is in my case a lot of the time. With that amount of battle damage there's no doubt those rivets would have held it together

• Like 1

Nice one George,

It reminds me of attacking old models with a heated pin and butter knife on a Sunday afternoon in my youth! To a youngster in the 60`s & 70`s these kits must have been so much fun!

Merry Christmas,

Tony

• Like 1

I am happy to say that I have not run out of "Likes" so please accept a "Like" from me. That is a very interesting kit and you have done a very nice job on it. I wish I could turn out a kit in a weekend without getting bogged down in all the nonsense that we tend to get wrapped up in.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi George!!!

The Battle Damaged Lindberg released are: Mig 21, RF4 Phantom II, A4 Skyhawk and F100 Super Sabre. Hope you can find all to build the series and enjoy as you did with this one!!! Hope your Cristhmas were wonderful and also hope Your New Year 2015 will be happier and healthier in every sense to you and your familiy!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1