Airfix 1:48 Hurricane Mk.1

Julien

Yes, look at the CAD images on the left. Very odd that they'd not get this out in time for the anniversary, but perhaps things will change.

bob

p.s. I think I can hear Troy sharpening his pencil...

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Looks like a nice kit, if the CADs are anything to go by. Interesting choice of box art too - P.O. Mackenzie of 501 Squadron ramming a 109 in October 1940. Wonder if the damaged wingtip is an option in the kit... :whistle:

Cheers,

Dean

I'm hoping that that release date is just a long lead time so they'll not disappoint modellers if they don't get it out during the BoB period. If it comes out earlier than that date everyone will be pleased.

Yes, look at the CAD images on the left. Very odd that they'd not get this out in time for the anniversary, but perhaps things will change.

bob

Bob,

I agree but maybe the Hurricane Mk I included in the new 1:48 scale Battle of Britain Gift Set (with Ground Crew etc) is the new mould kit too….This set is due out in April/May 2015 so it would tie-in with the anniversary…..then again, it could be the older kit…..not enough information posted yet (on part count etc) to determine either way although I would suggest it would be an Airfix 'own goal' if they teamed up an old kit with brand new vehicles/figures etc….we will see.

bob

I think the date shown is probably a mistake. I cannot imagine announcing a new kit in the 2015 releases if the target date is 2016.

• Like 1

bob

Already been commenting here - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972970-new-tool-148-airfix-hurricane-and-spitfire-mk-is/

Funny thing is SD-X /V6799 has been an option for the original 1/48th Airfix Hurricane for many years! I didn't know the history of this plane though, wonder what the other options would be?

I'd pick VY-R P2923, as this is very well documented plane, or VY-K from the same era which I believe was Sammy Allard's plane.

Ideally, add some 5 spoke wheels and both types of De Havilland props and the blunt rotol, and alternate windscreens would allow pretty much any metal winged Mk I to be done, though you'd to fill the rectangular access panel for the N**** series planes.

two points from the CAD. The camera gun on the wing is unusual for a Mk I, and the (please forgive me for commenting on CAD shots) but the wheel hubs look to small.

a05127-detail-2.jpg

I'd be surprised if a fabric wing one came along soon, i'd think a mk II would be the next logical step, probably a IIC, as if Airfix have had the sense with the Spitfire VB to plan sprues for alternate variants, so careful planning would allow separate fuselage and wing sprues. So add the 8 gun wing to Mk II fuselage and you have a IIA, and a IIB just needs the outer gun panels ..

this is pretty much what Hasegawa did, except they settled on the B and C wings as the basic types. and one fuselage with alternate noses.

Got to say this really does look good, but will await further information....

PS - the Hurricane wingtip is an integral part of the structure, not detachable, so the neat 'break' in the box art is unlikely... I'll get my anorak

apparently man vegetables as the swear checker would say....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972972-airfix-148-hurricane-mk1/page-3#entry1912691

I stand corrected, thanks Dave.

• Like 3

Looks great, shame in a way that I've just splashed out on the new Italeri one (which looks great), but this new Airfix one looks top rate too, as are all their new kits.

The Italeri kit is in no way 'great'

please see my comments http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/#entry1390213

all that for a RRP of £29.99 .... one of the great modelling disappointments for me, the more I looked, the more problems I found.

The other rated 1/48 Hurricane is the Hasegawa kit, while mostly excellent has one big fault that's really hard to correct without looking like cak, for those reading this and wondering see -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967342-best-148-hurricane-kit/#entry1735571

I'm hoping the new Airfix kit is good as the CAD looks, and having got the superb Spitfire VB and the mostly excellent 1/72 fabric wing Hurricane kit I'm looking forward to this release :)

• Like 1

Do we have a confirmed date for this? Is it March 2015 or 2016?

:doh: Just found it myself on the Airfix website - expected March 2015 - in the words of Blur "Whoo-Hoo"!

Edited by Wez

Taking up on Troy's comments on particular aircraft, I'm really hoping that one of the decal options will be for Pete Brother's Hurricane Mk 1 from the BofB period. I simply cannot understand why his aircraft has never featured on any 1:48 scale kit or aftermarket decal sheet (AFAIK) in the past......I live in hope that Airfix do it since I was fortunate enough to meet this great man some years ago and would really like to model his aircraft from the BofB period.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Italeri kit is in no way 'great'

please see my comments http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/#entry1390213

all that for a RRP of £29.99 .... one of the great modelling disappointments for me, the more I looked, the more problems I found.

The other rated 1/48 Hurricane is the Hasegawa kit, while mostly excellent has one big fault that's really hard to correct without looking like cak, for those reading this and wondering see -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967342-best-148-hurricane-kit/#entry1735571

I'm hoping the new Airfix kit is good as the CAD looks, and having got the superb Spitfire VB and the mostly excellent 1/72 fabric wing Hurricane kit I'm looking forward to this release :)

Yes the Italeri one has good instructions etc but the actual kit's a dog. One of the worst canopies I've ever seen for a start.

• 3 weeks later...