Airfix A04056 Westland Sea King HC.4 1:72

172flogger

I'd rather have it devoid of rivets at a reasonabler price than with. If you take the average rivet at 5mm dia in 72nd scale it's only .0694 of a millimetre, yes you can see them but... Both the Vampire and new Spit are devoid and look OK. If Airfix could emmulate the Revell kit riveting that would be good. See what you mean re the cockpit glazing, could prove fiddly to the less experienced modeller.

Colin

Thanks Sniper. Looks like I will be getting the Cyber Hobby SH-3h and hope for the best.

Have you seen the Whirlykits seaguard? You are going to have a very long road to convert any Seaking into an hh-52. They look similar, but it don't think they share much if anything in common.

Edited by rustywelder

Have you seen the Whirlykits seaguard? You are going to have a very long road to convert any Seaking into an hh-52. They look similar, but it don't think they share much if anything in common.

Just ordered one off ebay. Will build it as a SH-3h asw aircraft.

Pity RoG and Airfix(new tool) don't do a US version. I think it is the best of the bunch in 1/72.

I do like the look of this, I must say I am glad about the lack of rivets, I much prefer the panel lines. I think in this scale they are alot more realistic. I've had a hard look at the phots (which isn't easy in some cases as the lighting gives a horrid blurred look. I can only see one thing missing and that is a hand hold on the starboard side just forward of the sponson. It also looks like they have the correct winch set up which is good as no one else does this. Aslo not sure about the mentioned 'sonar housing' type assembly. I know its been discussed but no one can come up with what it is. I think it is too bulky to have as a sonar housing when the rest of the internal detail looks like it is well done. It may be a jig of some sort though. I am looking forward to this one coming out as I am nearing the end of my Seaking GB build.

Junglies don't have sonar do they, or is this a 'future' as yet unannounced version?

Trevor

You are correct Trevor and I suspect the latter, but if it was moulded for the latter it seems quite bulky and ugly, especially if the doors are designed to show the internal details

You are correct Trevor and I suspect the latter, but if it was moulded for the latter it seems quite bulky and ugly, especially if the doors are designed to show the internal details

I think it could be a template from the folded rotor blades ?

• 1 month later...

Neither are there any invasion stripes on the Gulf War one. I know that they did fly without them before the land invasion, but it would be still nice to have them as an option.

There are photos of ZF123 suggesting it was at Lossiemouth at the station Families Day in August 1994 -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/al_henderson/6884152076/

for instance.

I've no idea whether this means that the decal caption is accurate since the airframe was at Lossie on the day stated (be that for one day, or a day during a short detachment), or whether the photo caption is wrong and the decal designers have been misled by single source research, but offer it up for what it's worth (not much, but...)

• Like 1