1/72 - Junkers Ju-87B-1/B-2 & R-2 Stuka by Airfix - released

Homebee

Actually the fourth Stuka kit in 1/72nd scale

First one was a series one bag kit, very basic

Second was a series 3 box kit (quite nice)

the third one was a simplified version of the series 3 kit in a series 2 box

Actually the fourth Stuka kit in 1/72nd scale

First one was a series one bag kit, very basic

Second was a series 3 box kit (quite nice)

the third one was a simplified version of the series 3 kit in a series 2 box

Ah yes.I recall the two different issues of the first retool. Still essentially the same tooling between the S3 and S2 boxing apart from the some parts as you say.

Fujimi also do a B-1 and include the stub-type B-1 exhausts in their B-2 kit. I have both in the stash, but I'll still be in for a couple of the new Airfix ones and I'd rather build those as I think the Fujimi kits date back to the mid-80s - they tend to be fairly hard to get hold of and as a result can be quite expensive.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Fujimi also do a B-1 and include the stub-type B-1 exhausts in their B-2 kit. I have both in the stash, but I'll still be in for a couple of the new Airfix ones and I'd rather build those as I think the Fujimi kits date back to the mid-80s - they tend to be fairly hard to get hold of and as a result can be quite expensive.

Cheers,

Stew

Hard to get of yes. Expensive? Well I paid £6.85 + 4.99 shipping for two of these. Mind you the next punter will have to wait a few weeks before they re-appear.

Anil The Thrifty

• Like 1

Hard to get of yes. Expensive? Well I paid £6.85 + 4.99 shipping for two of these. Mind you the next punter will have to wait a few weeks before they re-appear.

Anil The Thrifty

I got my B-2's sent from Japan too, just try to find the B-1 at that price though (or at any price at all).

Cheers,

Stew

The Fujimi kit doesn't contain the narrow prop blades of the B-1, iirc. At least I'm pretty sure mine didn't.

Good spot Lasermonkey, I just checked mine and you are right, it only has the broader B-2 style propellers and the segmented cowl flap underneath instead of the one-piece version from the B-1

I hadn't realised that any B-1 had been produced before, even in approximate scale. I think it is a good choice by Airfix.

Graham, I think the Heller kit is a B-1 in name only as it has the B-2's ejector-type exhausts... I'm not sure what variant the markings are for. I'm glad Airfix are doing a new one, though it is a shame it won't be out in time for the BoB anniversary.

Cheers,

Stew

Fujimi kit is pretty nice, but has totally no interior detailing.

B-1 gives a lot of opportunities, from Spanish Civil War through Sept. 1939, 1940 to 1941 yellow-nosed planes from Balkans and apparently even some in desert scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, interesting - if the drawings are an indication of the parts included in the kit, the early- and late-style exhausts and cooling gill flap are included... If it includes the narrow- and paddle-blade propellers then you'll have all the B1/B2 variations available which would be a very smart move from Airfix... :D

Cheers,

Stew

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not coming in on either viewpoint, but assuming for a moment that it does look small, is it possible that we are seeing a leg of a fully loaded Stuka? As opposed to the normal photos showing longer legs of unloaded aircraft? There must, after all, be some give in the design. The fairing does appear to have the upper part wider than the lower, suggesting a sliding capability.

• Like 4