1/72 - Junkers Ju-87B-1/B-2 & R-2 Stuka by Airfix - released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Sprues &more pics : http://www.network54.com/Forum/578046/message/1452631154/The+New+Tool+Stuka+arrived+this+morning

P1122530_zpspsu840sk.jpg.

Frame A.

P1122519_zpssplqfvq1.jpg.

Frame B.

P1122520_zpsgkzt0qgi.jpg.

Frame C.

P1122521_zpsbjwqnios.jpg.

Frame D.

P1122522_zpsrhwdhacr.jpg.

Clear bits.

P1122529_zpsmxgn8rvz.jpg.

Option A.

P1122524_zpsnjj8dojh.jpg.

Option B.

P1122531_zpsymmxygem.jpg.

I've only had a quick look at this but one thing I noticed was a neat trick with the wheels.

P1122525_zps1hmvju8c.jpg.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

That looks quite nice. That is a clever trick with the wheels. I might have to pick one up to do as the Legion Condor version. I have the old Fujimi kit but that's slated for a Hungarian version.

Regards,

Jason

I love the suggestion in the instructions to rotate the main tyres (flat section) if you want to build one in flight!

Don't like the large recesses in the bombs - why manufacturers cannot form complete ordnance without mounting holes/recesses always irks me... made for the kiddies I suppose...

Mine arrived today and I've taken a quick squint in the box - I must say I'm very impressed, I like the clever breakdown of the parts at the moment - only building it would prove its concept is sound.

It's also evident Airfix will be doing a Ju-87 series which, I for one, am more than happy about!

This would go straight to the top of the build pile if I only had time to do some modelling (and that children, is how you acquire a stash).

Wez

Got mine today as well, looks really nice. I did notice the instructions don't mention the propellers for the siren, just the fitting of the siren mounts. But it looks a really nicely detailed kits. And I for one would not complain if they did release some more versions. One can never have enough Stuka's.

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/rafs-ultimate-biplane-fighter/

Quote Stuka Attack!

WB12-ImageS.jpgBox artwork on the recently release 1/72nd scale Stuka A

We end this latest edition of Workbench with the exciting news that the new 1/72nd scale Junkers Ju-87B-1 Stuka (A03087) has been released and is now available on the Airfix website or at your usual model supplier.

This new tooling release has been produced using the very latest design and manufacturing technologies and builds in to an extremely impressive model of this distinctive WWII attack aircraft. Arguably the most feared component of Blitzkrieg, the Stuka was a devastatingly effective strategic dive bomber and close support aircraft, which helped to speed the advance of the Wehrmacht right up to the northern coast of France. The air battles above the Dunkirk evacuation and the Battle of Britain proved to highlight the vulnerability of the Stuka to enemy fighter attack and although it continued in production until the end of 1944, the Stuka would rarely operate in opposed airspace without the protection of its own fighter cover. The picture below features a test build example of the new Stuka, which was photographed on a recent visit to Hornby HQ and illustrates the fine levels of detail available with this new kit. As usual, if you have just built one of these new Stuka kits, please do let us have your model pictures, so that we can post them on the Airfix website.

WB12-ImageT.jpgThe detail on the new Airfix Stuka is certainly impressive

That’s your lot for this edition of Workbench - we hope that you have enjoyed the read and that we had something of interest for you. We will see you back here in two weeks for another instalment of Airfix goodness, but in the meantime, if you have any suggestions for future editions, or if you have any kit build images you would like to send us, please do so.

You can get involved in all the latest Airfix modelling chat on our dedicated Workbench thread on the Airfix Forum, or alternatively, via our Facebook or Twitter social media channels, using #airfixworkbench.

Until next time, enjoy your modelling and be careful with that glue!

V.P.

• 2 weeks later...

Cor, didn't know this was out. One more to get...

The box art is dramatic as usual, especially as he seems to be releasing his bombs at about 300 feet off the ground. :analintruder:

That's one less for the RAF to shoot down!

• Like 1

That looks really nice, will have to see about getting one of those for the Condor Legion version. And maybe another for the Luftwaffe version. I presume the tab on the wheel is to align the flat surface to the ground, that's a good idea as the tab will be hidden by the spat. Good one, Airfix, will take the trial and error out of mounting the wheel correctly :)

New variant expected in Q3 2017 - 1/72nd Junkers Ju-87B-2/R-2 Stuka - ref. A03089

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/junkers-ju87b-2-r-2-stuka-1-72.html

• Scheme 1 - A:JU87 B-2 6./Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 “Immelmann”, Tmimi, Libya, July 1941.
  • Scheme 2 - A:JU87 B-2 W.Nr. 5763 209 Squadriglia, 96 Gruppo, North Africa, 1941.+ RAF captured markings

a03089.1.jpg   Junkers JU87B-2/R-2 Stuka 1:72

V.P.

• 1 month later...

In my my best sarcastic tone Airfix missed an opportunity to raise the price on this release after their clever release of the Me-262 as a series 3 kit with series 2 parts, The R2 Stuka - should have been released as a series 4 kit !

I 'll take cover now...

10 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

In my my best sarcastic tone Airfix missed an opportunity to raise the price on this release after their clever release of the Me-262 as a series 3 kit with series 2 parts, The R2 Stuka - should have been released as a series 4 kit !

I 'll take cover now...

:D:giggle: Shhhhh! Don't give them ideas..........!!!

• 3 years later...

New boxing - this Summer 2021 -ref. A03087A - Junkers Ju-87B-1 Stuka

Sources:

https://uk.airfix.com/products/junkers-ju87-b-1-stuka-a03087a

https://scontent.fbru5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/167035439_10159007258721271_8020624216788369813_n.jpg

167035439-10159007258721271-802062421678

a03087a-2-ju87-liveries.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Junkers Ju-87B-1/B-2 & R-2 Stuka by Airfix - released - new boxing Ju-87B-1 in Summer 2021
  • 2 weeks later...

More in Airfix workbench about - ref. A03087A - Junkers Ju-87B-1 Stuka

Sources: 

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/a-training-aircraft-for-all-services

https://uk.airfix.com/products/junkers-ju87-b-1-stuka-a03087a

68851.jpg

Scheme A - Junkers Ju 87B-1 Stuka VK+ER, II./Sturzkampfgeschwader 77, Breslau-Schöngarten, Germany (now Poland), Spring 1939.

68852.jpg
68853.jpg

Scheme B - Junkers Ju 87B-1 T6+IH, I./Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 ‘Immelmann’, Balkans, 1940/41.

68854.jpg
68855.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news. I only wonder what exactly means that "Balkans 1940/41" - the plane looks very much like the very early marking scheme, with narrow white stripes in the crosses and the swastika in the middle of the tail (see the photo). This could even be correct for 1939 Poland campaign, then for France and Battle of Britain.

spacer.png

• Like 1

From researchers Luftwaffe:

fuse/underwing balkencross style and position clearly indicates the pic of T6+IH was taken during the poland campaign in september 1939. The scottie dog emblem was probably in use by the 1./StG2 only (no evidence for Stab and 2./StG2 so far) then, it was introduced by Hubertus Hitschold, the Staffelkapitän of 1./StG2 at this period. He later was appointed Gruppenkommandeur of I./StG2.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Good news. I only wonder what exactly means that "Balkans 1940/41" - the plane looks very much like the very early marking scheme, with narrow white stripes in the crosses and the swastika in the middle of the tail (see the photo). This could even be correct for 1939 Poland campaign, then for France and Battle of Britain.

I was thinking the same thing Grzegorz, also I think for the Balkans campaign, weren't yellow cowlings and rudders used as theatre/tactical markings?

Also, much as I hate to be that grammar pedant:

"New Stuka bears its teeth"

Oh, Airfix :fraidnot: :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I was thinking the same thing Grzegorz, also I think for the Balkans campaign, weren't yellow cowlings and rudders used as theatre/tactical markings?

I suppose this particular scheme really comes from 1939 Poland, where StG2 was quite busy, but to be honest, 1./StG2 was indeed transferred to Balkans (Romania, then Bulgaria) already in 1941 January and I don't think the yellow cowlings/rudder marking have been introduced that early.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Stukageschwader/SG2.htm

Still, this scheme is really interesting.

Edited by GrzeM