1/72 - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X early and late by Airfix - released - Mk.IIF conversion set by CMK

Homebee

I've got mine! :yahoo:

It's a wonderful kit. One of the first things I noticed is that Airfix is taking steps to reduce the width of the sprue gates! :thumbsup:

Even though my workbench is pretty full at the moment (when isn't it? ;) ) next weekend I will be starting a comparison build between the Airfix and Hasegawa kits. The Airfix kit will be completed as a Mk.VIf nightfighter with a radar nose while the Hasegawa kit will be completed as an RAAF Mk.Ic. Can't wait. :bounce:

• Like 1

It's a wonderful kit. One of the first things I noticed is that Airfix is taking steps to reduce the width of the sprue gates! :thumbsup:

Even though my workbench is pretty full at the moment (when isn't it? ;) ) next weekend I will be starting a comparison build between the Airfix and Hasegawa kits. The Airfix kit will be completed as a Mk.VIf nightfighter with a radar nose while the Hasegawa kit will be completed as an RAAF Mk.Ic. Can't wait. :bounce:

Neither can we - are you going to do it as a WIP?

Wez

• Like 1

I quickly compared the Airfix fuselage to the Hasegawakit and there's a 5mm or so discrepancy. The Hasegawa one is supposed to be bang on according to Richard Franks Datafile (pause for sarcastic response) but the Airfix one is longer. Everything matches up to around the gunner's blister and then goes to cock. A quick comparison of the Airfix with the High Planes and they both match, rudder post to nose. So, either they're out or Hasegawa are.

And the quoted dimensions are? It should be possible to match at least the drawings to them, and proceed from there.

I suspect that short rear fuselages, not unheard of elsewhere, are due to sizing drawings from side-view photos taken from about the wingtip, and not allowing for parallax.

Edited by Graham Boak

I've found only two slight flaws with the kit:

- the engine cylinders have very coarse cooling rings

- the cowling flaps are only provided in open position and lack the prominent strips that cover the V slots when they are extended.

The rest is a dream ...

The Hasegawa TF.X radar nose will fit the Airfix kit with some sanding inside said part OR removal of the front of the fuselage that is hidden by the nosecone. Did a test fit yesterday and all is tickety-boo. The Hasegawa fin fillet will need trimming to fit (easier than trimming the fin itself).

Given that the Quickboost bits are clones of the Hasegawa ones, it'd be cheaper to buy them that raiding a Hasegawa kit.

• Like 1

Found two faulty parts with one of my two kits. The short intakes that fit on top of nacelles behind engine. One half of each of the two parts that make u the pair seem to be damaged or something as they are not complete. Certainly not short moulded as the edges are quite defined and not 'soft' edged as befits short moulding if you know what I mean. I know the two options in the kit call for the long tropical inatkes but my choice needs the short ones that are included in the kit .

Re Short fus, from memory the IPMS Avon guys who ran ADS decals in the late 90's did extensive work for their two Beau sheets and I remember Phil Evans (original owner of MARY-L and importer of Aeromaster products) discovered the Hasagawa kit was 5mm short.

Re Short fus, from memory the IPMS Avon guys who ran ADS decals in the late 90's did extensive work for their two Beau sheets and I remember Phil Evans (original owner of MARY-L and importer of Aeromaster products) discovered the Hasagawa kit was 5mm short.

A short fuselage in a Hasegawa kit? Inconceivable! :fool:

Has anyone started their Airfix kit yet? I'm finding that it almost falls together. I'll start a thread with my Airfix/Hasegawa comparison build over the weekend.

I wonder if the 1/48 Tamiya kit is too short too ...

MOTHER--I mean, oh, I see.

• Like 1

SBS new resin dedicated sets.
Source: http://www.sbsmodel.com/resinsets

- ref.72032 - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter propeller set for Airfix kit

SBS72032-1.jpg?height=133&width=200

- ref.72033 - 1/72 Bristol Blenheim engine cowling + exhaust set for Airfix kit
Please note, set fits with SBS Model 72017 Bristol Blenheim engine set only! (Engine not included, available separately)

SBS72033.jpg?height=200&width=155
- ref.72017 - 1/72 Bristol Blenheim engine (Bristol Mercury) for Airfix kit
Contains resin parts for 2 engines
Blenheim_motor_netre.jpg?height=157&widt

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

got mine yesterday, and paint guide for both options suggest matt black cowls?

This could well be correct Stu, Most collector rings, on aircraft started off a steel colour and after use would start to glow, this is where the illusion of colour or bronze coloured collector rings came in, which I fell for on a tamiya beaufighter I build a couple of years ago.

The RAF later decided to paint the collector rings black, as when the aircraft was in flight, the Glow of the collector ring, especially on night fighters and in low visibility would make them stand out like a sore thumb. The black painting was used to cover up the glow.

You can get away with a very dark metallic gray, or black. I've just finished my Airfix Beaufighter, check the last link on my signature, I painted mine black, with a little hint of metallic gray.

On the other note ladies and gents, I am going to state, after building this kit, This is Airfix's Best 1/72 kit to date, It is really that good

• Like 2