1/72 - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X early and late by Airfix - released - Mk.IIF conversion set by CMK

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine at last!!!! They're out, and it looks lovely! Last time I built an Airfix 1/72 Beau was back in 1978!

Model Junction in Bury even have the new 'einkel and the Swift. I was told there's an organisational problem at Airfix, so the release dates are unreliable.

Apparently the Whitley is ready to go as well, so not long for them.

I've noticed that Airfix supply Model Junction directly before Hannants recieve theirs.

Martin

Jadlamracing have the beaufighter & FW 190 for £16.79 + £2.99 postage, also if you use this discounter code JRM10T you get 10% off the price before postage which is £15.11

You have been misinformed. It's a lovely little kit!

I have a couple of these deep in the stash, so cannot confirm, but some of the comment appears to be re the thickness of the wing trailing edges and the difficulty of thinning them down.

Got my single Beaufighter boxing today and will be looking to get it started asap. I have noticed the sprues are lettered A to D for the fuselage etc and the transparent sprue is labelled Sprue F. Airfix did something similar with the recent Harrier GR1/GR3/AV-8A kit, so I would expect a further issue of this kit with a Sprue E containing some extra options. As to what those extra options would be, I'd hazard a guess on either a Mk.VI with some Universal Carriers and some 250lb bombs (the DF Loop and associated clear dome are already included), or a late production TF.X with dorsal fillet and thimble nose and possibly Firedog style RP fittings (nose and tail are moulded as separate parts and there are two flashed over holes on lower wings that aren't needed for the current RP parts). An outside bet would be the flat tailplanes of the Mk.I, but whatever else Airfix have up their sleeve for this kit will be warmly received I'm sure (and probably can't come quick enough for some of us!!).

Mark.

• Like 1

I am more than a little upset with Airfix now as I have had no word or my 'pre-ordered' kits which I ordered in May and despite my enquiry have had no response from them to date.

I thought the idea of pre-ordering was to get your models as soon as they were available not a way for Airfix to hold onto your Money until they have supplied all their retailers?

The 1/48 'Ready for Battle' set worked out really well on the preorder but, having had this experience, I think I will cancel my preorders for the Whitley, Stuka and Wildcat and just pick them up on Ebay.

I've even seen the Beaufighter discounted by 10% so there goes my Airfix discount!

I have ordered three Beaufighters but that still didn't stop me buying the Dogfight Double as I just couldn't wait. A lovely kit!

Edited by JimHead23

I got mine yesterday, about to start a OOB WIP on the kit, I purchased it straight from my local model shop and he had plenty in stock.

I tend to get my kits from the local shop because if you dont support them, they will end up disappearing like they have done in the past.

• Like 4

If I had a local model shop I would support them believe me!

I'd like to support my local model shop, but they usually take months to get the new kits on the shelf. Sometimes I wait for them, more often I get them somewhere else. I'd rather not, but if they can't resolve delivery issues or just don't see that new releases are big sellers for them, that's too bad.

I'd like to support my local model shop, but they usually take months to get the new kits on the shelf. Sometimes I wait for them, more often I get them somewhere else. I'd rather not, but if they can't resolve delivery issues or just don't see that new releases are big sellers for them, that's too bad.

Having spoken to my LMS owner (who is quite far up the list in terms of business he does with Hornby, so he tells me) there appear to be 'haves' and 'have nots' in terms of priorities for the new releases. Another near-LMS owner confirms this. As a modeller, I like Airfix, but they appear to be quite annoyed by the new ordering system that Hornby has set up, and their recent record (last couple of months) of releasing orders.

As a modeller, I like Airfix and their recent record of new releases, but from what I hear (and I am not an expert on the business, so what do I know?) their relationship with brick and mortar retailers needs some work. Unless Airfix just want to sell to the modelling world via their website and eschew High Street "passing trade".

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will point out the true situation.

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

I love what Airfix have done since Hornby took over in terms of kits but I don't believe Hornby have ever been the retailer's friend.

Airfix have always been known for their great customer service which they still provide but I assume in this cut throat market their old fashioned attitude may have been partly responsible for their previous demise.

The brand will always be close to my heart and I will continue to support them with my club membership until all the margins have been tightened.

(I swear the number of flying hours have been reduced in relation to the kit size?)

Well, based on a sample of one, my local model shop (not part of a chain) seems to get the new stuff in from them pretty promptly - bought my Beau there on Saturday.

Lucky you! My LMS is usually very prompt with new releases. I usually hear that something has hit the streets (often through this forum) in the week, wander into my LMS on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, and it's there. Not this time. The LMS owner has no idea what's going on.

It'll get there eventually, it's just a bit frustrating, knowing it's out there but not having it to hand. (And I know that most people don't have a LMS, so I'm actually in quite a good position). I could just go online and order one, but I had an "arrangement" with my LMS to buy them through him.

Hey ho! There are people out there with no roof over their head, or with no food to eat, or in a war zone, or all three, so I'll count my blessings and stop whinging about a slightly late kit.

Enjoy it in the meantime, one and all!

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo
  • Like 2

I'm quite sorry to hear you peeps haven't had yours yet, to rub salt into the wounds i've made a start on mine.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987066-airfix-beaufighter-new-tool-and-hurricane-mkiic-seac-172/

I've also included photos of all the parts if your curious to see them.

Also, my local model shop does online orders if anyone is trying to get hold of one. http://www.t7models.com/shop/airfix-a04019-172-bristol-beaufighter-tf-x/

Got mine today in a big parcel with the Airfix He-111 too (it's a good job my daughter is at home this week otherwise I'd have to wait until tomorrow to get it from the depot and that would be a huge disappointment), lovely, lovely kit which will join the Airfix 1/48th Hurricane on the bench!

Wez from Much Grinning on the Wold!

• Like 1