1/72 - Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mk.V & Mk.VII by Airfix - released - reissue Mk. V boxing in Spring 2024

Homebee

Another kit ticked to join my stash list for 2015.

Now I can study my references with a little more confidence after continuously putting them away once I compared these to my Frog/Novo Whitley. I just don't have the time, patience and probably skill to hatch this into something that I would have been happy with. This new excellent choice now takes all the pain away... Bravo Airfix - surely a Mk.1 Wimpy with options for the original turrets will be next.

Cheers.. Dave.

and maybe a nice new Hampden too??.

Allan

• Like 2

I was going to ask for both, but I thought that would sound a little greedy.. Perhaps 2017?

:lol: I'll settle for that! I realise of course that this is only a CAD so, I hope the real model includes a detailed bomb bay()with whizz bangs!) as well

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

• 2 weeks later...

If the all black option is from 10 Sqd, then the codes should read ZA:K.

And the 102 Sqd. option above is on interest with those underwing serials. I wonder what roundels will be above - Type A1?

I'm probably wrong, however I would have thought by the time the Mk. V arrived at Squadron level, those marking options would have changed.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does look very good and it's a kit that I'm looking forward to. But, and this is not a moan, merely an observation, it looks like the information that was forwarded to Airfix in early January, regarding the incorrectly shaped bomb aimer's lower clear panel, has not (yet) been incorporated into the transparencies and fuselage. It could be that they were/are too far down the track with the tooling, which would be a shame. It does look like it won't be a huge issue for a determined modeller to fix however, if they don't put it right themselves between now and release.

Jeff

It does look very good and it's a kit that I'm looking forward to. But, and this is not a moan, merely an observation, it looks like the information that was forwarded to Airfix in early January, regarding the incorrectly shaped bomb aimer's lower clear panel, has not (yet) been incorporated into the transparencies and fuselage. It could be that they were/are too far down the track with the tooling, which would be a shame. It does look like it won't be a huge issue for a determined modeller to fix however, if they don't put it right themselves between now and release.

Jeff

Or perhaps the display model (made from prototype parts, not necessarily from the definitive sprues) was made before the observation was made.

Also why is the fuselage broken at mid-point? Something to ask at Yeovilton.

I have no insight into the Airfix system or their intentions, but changes take time. I'm quite sure there has not been enough time to have the observation confirmed as applying to the examples chosen, change the CAD, get through any approval system, get the message to the toolmakers, fit the modification into a presumably-busy schedule, run off examples, return them to the UK, and get them onto the presentation. I do wonder if there is enough time to get changes into the tooling, but we may see.

The break in the fuselage is an indication that the same approach has been made to the Whitley as to the Blenheim. Having recently struggled with the latter I think it a mistake: Airfix are trying to be innovative (which is good) but in these cases have over-engineered the models. Obviously opinions will vary on this point, but presumably a number of kits have been designed with this approach so we'll see more like it before any change of approach can be considered - if desired. I hope they get it right before the Halifax.

I wondered about the fuselage break, i think with the Blenheim it was their solution to the different noses, but I am not about the Whitley. What i found interesting was the rear fuselage, the two canopies and the way the clear sprue is in two parts, are they considering different marks at a later date? I fso I hope it is not for a couple of years so that my Fly MkI/II might get built.

Slightly off topic i presume that next year will see Blenheim IF and MkIV bombers, are Airfix giving themselves some space so that if new mould production slow down they have stuff that can be produced as a 'new' product at lower cost?

How is the fuselage break (if any) on the Dornier? I see it as a way of ensuring the dihedral ends up right.

Airfix seem to be leaving themselves such options, as with the Spitfire Mk.Va, or perhaps they're just a gift to keen modellers? You can do a Mk.IV bomber from the kit as it comes, and if you do there's enough spare to do a Mk.I fighter with the other kit.

• 1 month later...

Great to see more photos even if the photographer was so excited that it caused bad camera shake ! The wing ribbing looks to be well done. As for the bomb aimers panel well I'm sure someone will sort that out fairly quickly. Hopefully I'll be receiving an early pre release for review and build for AMW so will be able to see more clearly exactly what if anything needs sorting out. I'm particularly looking forward to this one (or two) as I'd like to see if the DB productions Mks.2 & 3 resin set I have can easily be adapted to fit. Now as mentioned all we need is a decent Hampden, (or Harrow !)......

• Like 5

Great to see more photos even if the photographer was so excited that it caused bad camera shake !

Very bad lighting by the looks of it... Just get the old red/green 3D glasses out!!

Must admit though, I'm quite fond of the old Whitley! Very early colours for me..

Option of an open bomb bay but not the wing bombcells, odd.

Were the bombcells the sprung loaded type and therefore unlikely to be seen open on the ground unless propped open for loading?

You don't get wing bomb cells on other kits, including the recent Airfix Blenheim and Revell Halifax both of which come with open main bomb bays. Not that the Blenheim's wing cells were used a lot, but the Halifax's were. The main bombbay doors on RAF bombers were not normally left open other than when loading.

If you look closely at the Revell kit you will see signs of plans to offer open wing bomb cells, that seem to have been abandoned partway.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

First I've heard that the Blenheim had wing bomb cells,

or the Halifax for that matter.I stand to be corrected The Whitley and Stirling did though.

Here you go :)

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20070706011932/http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/images/ch18670.jpg

Trevor

• Like 1