1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

Not a lot in there showing the early exhausts. Just a few overall aircraft photos that happen to have them. I'm talking walkaround/close-up stuff, so I can detail the kit parts.

Early type exhaust. Each outlet on the cover had fishtail stubs just inside, curved in section to match the cover itself. Fishtail stubs are hard to come by, as they had a terrible habit of corroding through in service.

10983380_1646037375624682_25104476122978

Later type exhaust

11081016_1646028158958937_63300113598381

If anyne wants specific reference shots, give me a yell, and I'll do what I can.

Kind regards,

Rich

• Like 3

After following that link into the esoteric world of hyperscale to see the transfer/decal sheet I'm extra mega impressed

The plastic is as impressive as I have come to expect on new Airfix models, but the markings are really something else

I admit bias, back many years ago I had an awful time finding stencillings for mine when I built the AEW2

Spoilt for choice with this new one, an absolute beauty and its interior is scary good

:goodjob:

Nice one Matt and team at Airfix, well done Rich and the Shack boys for making it easier for them/US

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you! Some common sense.

They do seem expensive but if you take the historic price ratio, they are actualy cheaper. When the VUlcan came out for example, it was £4.50 and a typical series 1 would be about 60p - with a series 1 price today of £5.99, an equivalent for the Vulcan would be £44.95.

That assumes a linear relationship - whether Airfix kits have gone up in price in line with wages/infaltion is a different question!

Mind you, maybe they could make them cheaper if they didn't include all those prop tip decals!

This is the thing that drives me nuts about people who complain about the price of kits. You hear, with alarming frequency, comments along the line of "manufacturer X's new ____ is too expensive. I wish manufacturer Y would do the same subject, because it would be $10 - 20 cheaper."

Developing, tooling, releasing and marketing a kit costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Hoping that some other company will gamble that much capital so that the consumer can save a relatively insignificant amount of money is ludicrous. It would literally make more economic sense for manufacturer Y to GIVE YOU $20 to make up the difference you'd hope to save than to gamble that much money, duplicating a no-longer-unique subject, that will take years to recoup. Loose too many bets and you go the way of Accurate Miniatures.

(not directed at anyone in particular, just a long-standing pet peeve)

Apologies for offending your sensibilities. To those of us on limited budgets, the best part of forty quid is a LOT of money and very hard to justify. If my hoping for affordable kits upsets you so much, I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Listing prices will always be a matter of conjecture, however I suppose if you want one (like I do), you'll come up with the cash for it.

My family is now on a staple diet of Baked Beans on toast for dinner each day this month!.

But seriously, I've always said it's not a case of how much money you make, it's how much you actually spend that counts.

The older you get and hopefully with the rise in wages and possible promotions along the way, it's amazing what rubbish we all probably spend our hard earned wages on.

There's a heap of stuff that I can do without, however tend to spend money on them because I've got it - rather than I need it!!

I am probably the first to whinge and moan about the prices of particular kits, however this has not stopped me from adding quality kits to the stash for prices I believe are fair.

What is daylight robbery is that my local Toyworld has the re-boxed Airfix Halifax for A$75.00 - that's roughly GBP36.00 !!!! - same price as the Shack !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway - that's it from me... Looking forward to getting my BIG box, once Hatton's receive their stock - hopefully before Xmas.

Cheers .. Dave.

Just received mine.......well some of it, I have NO fuselage or wing parts at all in my box, so great excitement turned into great disappointment, been in touch with the supplier and hopefully I will receive parts soon from Airfix!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well less distraction for me for now then.

check your boxes asap.......

Ali

Just received mine.......well some of it, I have NO fuselage or wing parts at all in my box, so great excitement turned into great disappointment, been in touch with the supplier and hopefully I will receive parts soon from Airfix!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well less distraction for me for now then.

check your boxes asap.......

Ali

I've had parts missing from airfix recently, but surely someone in packaging would notice this

Apologies for offending your sensibilities. To those of us on limited budgets, the best part of forty quid is a LOT of money and very hard to justify. If my hoping for affordable kits upsets you so much, I humbly beg your forgiveness.

Priorities differ for us all. We'd all like everything to be cheaper, not just kits. The key question is whether the price of the Shackleton is reasonable for what you get compared with the alternatives, and I think it is pretty clear that it is. Perhaps you could redirect some of the money from your other interests, IF you really want one. Your priorities are for you to decide.

I don't believe the questions raised about the price have been looked at in the right context.

When I noted it I specifically said about the amount of internal detail included that is unlikely to be seen. You have almost a full interior hidden in a fuselage with small windows. They didn't include it in the Lancaster, and the Magazine preview noted the enhanced bright colours used to make it even halfway visible. What will it be like from an average 3ft viewing if painted iaw instructions.

The rrp itself isn't a problem as it reflects the plastic inside, the question is is all that plastic need, or alternatively could it be put to better use (weapons, airframe options, crew, ground equipment - I reckon a fire extinguisher was an ever present sight).

£40 included yes...£40 seen on completion...that'll have to wait for an OOB as per instruction WIP.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

They do seem expensive but if you take the historic price ratio, they are actualy cheaper. When the VUlcan came out for example, it was £4.50 and a typical series 1 would be about 60p - with a series 1 price today of £5.99, an equivalent for the Vulcan would be £44.95.

That assumes a linear relationship - whether Airfix kits have gone up in price in line with wages/infaltion is a different question!

Mind you, maybe they could make them cheaper if they didn't include all those prop tip decals!

Imagine how many Vulcans they'd shift these days if they sold them for £4.50!

Does anyone know if the Suez Crisis Shackletons carried invasion stripes on the wings please?

My Dalrymple and Verdun book on the aircraft has a colour profile of a 37 sqn aircraft with both fuselage and wing stripes but I have no photographic evidence either way.

Imagine how many Vulcans they'd shift these days if they sold them for £4.50!

If £4.50 in 1/1/83 then they should be £10.28 on 13/10/15...

http://fxtop.com/en/inflation-calculator.php?A=4.50&C1=GBP&INDICE=UKCPI2005&DD1=31&MM1=01&YYYY1=1983&DD2=13&MM2=10&YYYY2=2015&btnOK=Compute+actual+value

Another site says £16 today...!

Either way it's far below the £30rrp

Seems plastic is an investment opportunity after all!

Thanks for all the "stripes" responses. My query started around the Aeroplane Icons publication where I think it says there is no evidence of the stripes being present on the wings. There's also a picture that seems to back this up. Just wondered if there was any definitive pictures one way or the other.

I have a question about the model in the Airfix Model World review. On all four engines the front and rear propellers are lined up neatly. Is this a mechanical thing that happened automatically in aircraft with contra-rotating props, or is it something the ground crews would do by hand to make them look neat and tidy, or just the modeller going for a less-cluttered picture?