1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

Question..... Is the top turret the same as used on the Lincoln? As I was thinking could use it on my Lincoln conversion kit I acquired at Telford, once got my hands on the lovely airfix :)

Mark

There's also the Aviation Classics booklet on the Shackleton currently available in Smiths at £7.99. As well as articles on its history, there are 21 pages of colour detail shots, including loads of the interior. Reckon this'll be a collector's item by December.

I'm most way reading through it, great book with lots of stories for those that flew / worked on them. Highly recommended

The basic wing is the same, and the internal structure bears it out. Centre section, intermediate and outer wing are all almost duplicate of Lincoln, albeit from modified drawings to cover the different fuselage 'covered wagon' section. The early drawings themselves are modified Lancaster items, redrawn several times to cover Tudor, Lincoln, and Lincoln GR1 (subsequently renamed Shackleton). If you remove the boat tail from behind the Shackleton's inner nacelles, the flap still is full width and hinged, it is just split rather crudely and the unusable portion bolted up.

The Lincoln turret is the Bristol B.17 which is the same unit as used on Shackleton.

Kind regards,

Rich W

Firstly, thank you Airfix and apologies for the hard time I gave you guys at Telford in November, one of the team did say that you hadn't announced all the goodies for 2015 yet. Well done and I'm delighted to see that you do listen to your public, I've been writing Shackleton on those slips of paper you hand out at Telford for years.

You've made my Christmas (oh and by the way guys and girls there's some smashing pictures of AEW Shacks in my new book "Beyond the Horizon the History of AEW&C Aircaft" (sorry for the blatant plug but it would be rude not to!).

Now then what to do with all those FROG and Eastern Expres Mk. 3's in the stash, standby ebay.

I too truly hope that the AEW Mk. 2 is part of the original boxing, but I have the ace up my sleeve with a set of Aeroclub AEW conversion parts and 8 Sqn decals if they don't!

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again Airfix.

Ian

p.s £39.99 is not a bad price either

Someone at Airfix is building the resin test shot for the trade shows by the looks of it..... https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270.112940.65102591270/10152910418326271/?type=1&theater

Interesting - I can't see any indication of a join at the nose or tail. If that is indeed the case, it means the MR.1 is a bit unlikely.

Mike. :hmmm:

Re Radar's post ''p.s £39.99 is not a bad price either'

My Frog Mk3 ,salted down,bought in Mitchell's toyshop in Lossiemouth circa 1967 (?) has the price label at 12/6p !

I'll leave the comparison arithmetic to someone with a working brain.

Now I won't need to chop it and I can save the Aeroclub conversion set and decals 'til next year.

Well done Airfix.

RG

Firstly, thank you Airfix and apologies for the hard time I gave you guys at Telford in November, one of the team did say that you hadn't announced all the goodies for 2015 yet. Well done and I'm delighted to see that you do listen to your public, I've been writing Shackleton on those slips of paper you hand out at Telford for years.

You've made my Christmas (oh and by the way guys and girls there's some smashing pictures of AEW Shacks in my new book "Beyond the Horizon the History of AEW&C Aircaft" (sorry for the blatant plug but it would be rude not to!).

Now then what to do with all those FROG and Eastern Expres Mk. 3's in the stash, standby ebay.

I too truly hope that the AEW Mk. 2 is part of the original boxing, but I have the ace up my sleeve with a set of Aeroclub AEW conversion parts and 8 Sqn decals if they don't!

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again Airfix.

Ian

p.s £39.99 is not a bad price either

A cracking book it is too. Heartily recommend it.

2015 stash list - tick..

No. 37 squadron, based at Malta with Suez Stripes for me.

I cannot wait to see the new Xtradecal sheet with all those red and white serials - ghaaww.!!

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

So what do you need to do to turn an MR2 into an MR1? I know the nose is different, quite obviously. I'm thinking there might be turret differences as well as a few small fuselage changes and tweaks in the tail. If one of the custom resin companies decided to backdate the MR2 to the MR1 would we basically get away with just a nose and small part change or are there fundamental shape differences?

The Aeroclub conversion from MR3 to AEW looked fine in passing but in reality produced an aircraft that wasn't really correct in shape as the fuselage was too deep thanks to the MR3 needing to house the nosewheel. I'm not a rivet counter, if it looks about right then to me it is right. I so want to do this aircraft! http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1069850/and I could live with small inaccuracies to get there.

Even if Airfix don't release an AEW version, I can't see it being more than a quick dollop of resin from the likes of Freightdog along with a decal sheet in order to get there. I can fill a big gap in my AEW theme, so that's two Shackletons on order from me then!

So what do you need to do to turn an MR2 into an MR1? I know the nose is different, quite obviously. I'm thinking there might be turret differences as well as a few small fuselage changes and tweaks in the tail.

This drawing from the Wikipedia Shackleton page should help with the differences

640px-Avro_Shackleton.svg.png

Does anyone know the process for making a test shot.

Are actual moulds involved, or is it an SLA print or something like that?

Does anyone know the process for making a test shot.

Are actual moulds involved, or is it an SLA print or something like that?

I understand the parts are 3D printed, the Seaking at Telford was 3D printed AFIK. Note the bottle of Loctite 401 CA

Interesting... looks like a join in the fuselage aft of the wing.

Could be a mark left by CA during a test fit or the fuselage half might have had to be made in 2 parts for the test shot due to size limitations of the 3D printer maybe.

15918213678_3b5312d4f8_o.jpg

Interior looks good though.

15919558269_feb725d93f_o.jpg

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

So what we're seeing is still a fair way from production article?

Proof of concept, if you like