1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

I have a question about the model in the Airfix Model World review. On all four engines the front and rear propellers are lined up neatly. Is this a mechanical thing that happened automatically in aircraft with contra-rotating props, or is it something the ground crews would do by hand to make them look neat and tidy, or just the modeller going for a less-cluttered picture?

For the props to look like that they would have been moved by hand as you say to look neat and tidy it is called dressing the props !

Guy

Have contacted someone who was on Shacks during the crisis and he was involved with transporting troops out to the area and as far as he remembers the aircraft he was on did not have any stripes what so ever and he says that other aircraft had stripes on the fuselage only but there were not many as they mainly operated out over the med and not directly over the hot spots.

Guy

I really did not want to say this , but build wise , im not that impressed. I have waited years for a Shackleton and it is my top favourite aircraft. Im hoping its just my kit but so far the fit has not been too great. No matter what i did i could not get the rear fuselage to close , so i removed the entire floor aft of the bomb bay and the fit was spot on. I have had to use filler on the entire fuselage join. I have actually put it to one side for now. I am a tad dissapointed after waiting so long.I hope thay have not rushed it just to get it out early.. The nose was a little short shot too just above the bomb aimers window.

Edited by gunpowder17

Have contacted someone who was on Shacks during the crisis and he was involved with transporting troops out to the area and as far as he remembers the aircraft he was on did not have any stripes what so ever and he says that other aircraft had stripes on the fuselage only but there were not many as they mainly operated out over the med and not directly over the hot spots.

Guy

I have a question about the model in the Airfix Model World review. On all four engines the front and rear propellers are lined up neatly. Is this a mechanical thing that happened automatically in aircraft with contra-rotating props, or is it something the ground crews would do by hand to make them look neat and tidy, or just the modeller going for a less-cluttered picture?

The prop shafts are geared so that they turn together, equal amounts in opposng direction. The props are dressed by hand into a Y for two reasons - it looks neat, and it prevents water settling into the spinner. This last point poses a real problem in winter conditions as if it froze it would produce a violent off balance when the engine was run.

Edited by richw_82
  • Like 1

I've just had a brief discussion with one of our club members who remembers Shackletons and he remembers the entire interior being in Night. Airfix have only had former AEW airframes for reference and their interiors benefitted from work done on the MR 3 to improve crew comfort on long sorties, including the interior colour scheme. I'm sure I've seen it in print somewhere (Ian Allan "Modern Combat Aircraft" series perhaps, or Dalrymple & Verdun but can't presently locate either book.

The fuselage joint was picked up in Jen Wright's article in Airfix Model World and seems to be capable of reasonably quick and simple resolution. OK, it ought not to be necessary in this day and age, but none of us are infablible, inflailabable,.....foolproof and it ought not to be a show stopper.

If anyone wants something a little different there always the St Mawgan gate guard 2c - the Clotted Cream Shack

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?95115-RAF-St-Mawgan-Remembered

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=178046&stc=1&d=1256082644

They say it was being repainted however having lived in the pointy county for many years I'm pretty sure that's their idea of a completed article!

Edited by dpm1did1

The MR1 was black throughout. Crews complained so the MR2 saw the introduction of a better galley and soundproofing. The only differences are where the soundproofing was removed to retain the C of G. Great for us as we only have to change equipment out to finish putting our Shackleton back to MR configuration.

Edited by richw_82

Thanks Guy, backs up what I thought. I can build one now without the stripes. I can always add them later if I'm proved wrong!

Cheers

Richard

Yes they did carry the stripes - I have photographic evidence. Featured in Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 12 number 9 dated June 1990 page 306, middle photo, shows WL785 coded E sat on the runway basking in the sun........then Page 405, a profile drawing of same aircraft in Suez markings whilst with 37 sqdn............I understand the same photo can be seen in Shackleton Warpaint............hope this helps.

Yes they did carry the stripes - I have photographic evidence. Featured in Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 12 number 9 dated June 1990 page 306, middle photo, shows WL785 coded E sat on the runway basking in the sun........then Page 405, a profile drawing of same aircraft in Suez markings whilst with 37 sqdn............I understand the same photo can be seen in Shackleton Warpaint............hope this helps.

I have the same publications and photos. Yes the profile artwork shows wing stripes, with full underwing serials, however there is no way that you can tell in the photographs if the stripes are actually there.

Cheers.. Dave.

The prop shafts are geared so that they turn together, equal amounts in opposng direction. The props are dressed by hand into a Y for two reasons - it looks neat, and it prevents water settling into the spinner. This last point poses a real problem in winter conditions as if it froze it would produce a violent off balance when the engine was run.

Thanks for that Rich interesting to know the workings of how contra props work, we dressed the props on the Catalina to look nice and neat never did like that job (high up !!)

May I ask a silly question if you pull a prop through by hand does that mean both sets of blades will move ?

Guy

Thanks chaps, Rich tell me about it I don't think I could do it now not with out a parachute !!! Just checking the oil levels was bad enough mountaineering comes to mind !

I like engines a little closer to terra firma !!

Guy

Hi everyone, Got mine yesterday and started to take a good look at it with the intention of starting it Friday night, Now after removing A2 the starboard fuselage half the outside of the roof area has several deeps sink marks and the two fuselage parts do not mate unless I use a lot of pressure, so much that I feel it could pull apart any mine when gluing

I removed the rear floor behind the bomb bay and it fitted better. I have the sink marks too as well as a short shot on the leading edge of the wing and the nose. Mines quite far along but it has not been a breeze to do

Edited by gunpowder17