1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

Ah - I had been wondering about Plockton (further north on the other side of Skye) but you have it right. Thank you. The houses and roads in the foreground match Carbost perfectly and I didn't bother looking further.

Those must be the hills of Harris, on the Long Isle, in the distance.

5 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Would an AEW Shack have ever been that low (and climbing) that far from Lossie?

Actually yes, I remember back in the very early 80s having the AEW Shackleton do a practice Air Display in the valley behind our house in preparation for the proper display at the weekend on the other side of our hill for the Bolton Show. Fantastic to watch over what was the greenbelt in nice sunny weather as the weekend of the show was overcast with occasional showers so the display routine on the day was rather muted. Ah those were the days

It's not that low TBH. If I looked out the window of my aeroplane and saw that view I'd expect to be at about 3,000 feet. I don't know very much about Shack AEW ops but apparently that's within the band of operating heights for the aeroplane. From http://www.8squadron.co.uk/history_1972-1991.php

--

The Shackleton AEW Mk2

The Shackleton could stay airborne for about 12 hours with its fuel load of 3,284 gallons of 120 octane petrol.  It would operate at an altitude between 2,000 and 7,000 feet – any higher would put too much noise from sea returns into the radar.  The aircraft would normally fly at 160 kts, although “Friday night cruise” could give a speed up to 180 kts

• Like 1

On 11/01/2017 at 08:41, iainpeden said:

I have just set that as the background on my pc - looks stunning.

On mine as well.   It has replaced the boxart from the Airfix Beaufighter TF.10, which in turn replaced the boxart for the Airfix Lightning F.6.   I think I can see a pattern emerging...   :D

18 minutes ago, 593jones said:

The boxart is definitely better than Revell's,  May have to buy one now!

Genuine question, but why would the box art sway you not to buy a kit? Assuming you don't have the Revell kit because the box art..

• Like 2

Well, I do already have the Revell kit in the stash, so I was thinking it was probably unnecessary to have two of the same type, particularly in the same scheme.  The Airfix  box art, however, has made me think differently.  Not that there's anything wrong with Revell's, just that I think Airfix is better. This probably means I am a very shallow individual, easily swayed by a pretty face box art. 

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...

Probably the shorter Bomb Bay doors as well I suspect. Look for an old Airfix workbench article that may show some AEW.2 sprue shots. That should help. 

Cheers.. Dave

There is a sprue photo on the Airfix Workbench page.  Apart from the radome and shorter weapons bay doors there are a new front bulkhead to align with the front of the doors, new mounting panel for the radome (to replace the front section of the original bomb doors and some antennae.  There may be a second sprue with additional bits on but I haven't found an image of it yet.  Interestingly there is no rear crew work area, we'll just have to make do with the parts from the MR. Mk. 2 kit, which appear more accurate for an AEW. Mk. 2 anyway.

Edited by stever219
Spine-crushingly inadequate spelling-(not)-checker and pruf reedinge.

• 3 months later...
On 06/08/2017 at 4:24 PM, stever219 said:

Interestingly there is no rear crew work area, we'll just have to make do with the parts from the MR. Mk. 2 kit, which appear more accurate for an AEW. Mk. 2 anyway.

Indeed very accurate for the AEW.  

But, are you saying that these parts don't appear to be in the new AEW boxing?

I have both and would go for the Revell every time..............looks a far better model, check out the builds on here, many now without photos due to photobucket kicking in and blocking pics 

A matter of preference, if you want to waste your time detailing the inside of the Airfix kit, only to close both fuselage halves afterwards and concealing all your work, go for the Airfix, if you want a better detailed kit and a cheaper offering, go for the revell

• Like 2