1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

These parts have been patterned and produced by myself for Alley Cat Models (Alec Smith)

Here are two images of some of the main parts that are included. The nose section is a one piece clear part (for this picture it has been painted with primer to show the framing and details), the under nose radome is a separate clear part. There are a few internal parts for the nose area, a radar scanner dish, a tail wheel and new base for tail wheel, and a few other small parts.

As far as I am aware all the major parts will be provided to do all of the MR.1's and T.4's. However there are so many small variations when you study airframes, that I am sure that there will be some fanatical Shackleton modellers will want to add some specific details for the actual aircraft that you wish to model, but this should give you all a good starting point.

cheers Ali 

IMG_1505_zpsssjmj2fa.jpg IMG_1504_zpsqoe1zgtl.jpg

Edited by Ali62
added pictures
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Was thinking of the prototype. Doh!

That's it, just the the fist two GR.1 prototypes, VW126 and 131 had the rear turrets. 

The BP type D rear turrets, along with the front cheek mounted cannons, and ventral air to air refuelling receptacle 'shape' would make a great conversion and model topic in their own right.

I've gone to great lengths to show the various mods required for the Airfix kit parts to be turned into a MR.1/T.4 (ie not just the conversion parts), and have just cleaned up the text to make it easier to follow.

Great news that there is finally a conversion set out for the early Marks, this with AIMs Viper conversion means that there is now a relatively straight foward way of building all Shackleton variants.

WR972 had an usual rear cupola, from photos the bottom part of it kind of looks like MR.1/T.4 tail cone, with possibly the upper part of those variants nose glazing adapted to fit.  But that's just my interpretation.

However the RAE had the talent to knock something up themselves!

I made WR972 from the Frog kit a while back, using miliput and a Halifax clear part.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/10/2016 at 7:50 PM, Ali62 said:

As far as I am aware all the major parts will be provided to do all of the MR.1's and T.4's. However there are so many small variations when you study airframes, that I am sure that there will be some fanatical Shackleton modellers will want to add some specific details for the actual aircraft that you wish to model, but this should give you all a good starting point.

One thing that I really hope is (and should be) included is the distinctive trailing aerial mast that sits below the port side of the cockpit area.

This was fitted to every Shackleton MR.1 / T.4 (inc RAEs VP293) and the MR.2 & 3, however it is not included in the Airfix kit.  I had to rob the part from a Frog Shack kit for the conversion I'm doing at the moment.

Hi Rich, I'm doing a Mk.1 conversion at the moment but won't be Zebedee, more likely an early ASWDU machine

Manual looks good, would love to see any of it!

Good to see you posting again

Edited by 71chally

The 1/72nd Avro Shackleton AEW.2 kit - ref. A11005 - is expected in Q2 2017

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2017/avro-shackleton-aew-2-1-72.html

• Scheme 1 - “Dougal”, No.8 Squadron, Royal Air Force Lossiemouth, Moray, north east Scotland, 1980.
  • Scheme 2 - “Ermintrude”, No.8 Squadron, Royal Air Force Lossiemouth, Moray, north east Scotland, 1979. WR963

Avro Shackleton AEW.2 1:72

a11005.3.jpg   Avro Shackleton AEW.2 1:72

Avro Shackleton AEW.2 1:72 Avro Shackleton AEW.2 1:72

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Has anybody received the AllyCat conversion yet?

Yeap Alec posted mine out about the end of November from what I recall. He's been busy over Christmas from what I saw on FB, so will be playing catch up now, just contact him as could well be dealing with back orders or waiting for another re-stock.

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

Scimitar on here has the set, and is about to start a conversion I believe.

Yes indeed.

Got mine after a bit of delay which annoyed me a bit but that was quickly squashed when I found that Alec had been ill.

The conversion set is very nice and in my case just required a wee bit of thinning of the Airfix plastic.

I would liked to have seen a bit more detail (drawings or pics) of what's inside the nose but that's just me looking for the icing on the cake.

The plan gives exact details of where to cut and if I can do it........

Richard

:banghead:just noticed Rich's post with drawings.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When I first saw this artwork I was rather impressed to say the least and thought it was a stunning portrayal of the 'Shack'. Something else struck me straight away though, the backdrop seemed awful familiar!  After checking a few images and maps, I'm pretty sure the backdrop is Loch Harport on Skye with the white buildings below the Shack (between the radome and the towel rail antenna) being those of the Talisker Distillery! The direction of the aircraft would have it on an approximate heading back to Lossiemouth. 

Anyone else out out there able to confirm my analysis?

Eng