Peruvian Hawker Hunter F.52

Please excuse the lack of updates this week but been feeling ill so early nights were cutting back the modelling time. Thursday seen me feel a bit better so got some grey primer sprayed around the undersides to check seams and panel lines prior to spraying on Alclad. Used a Revell medium grey and Revell thinners. 24 hours later I started spraying on a light coat of Alclad. Disaster! The paint instantly took on a crinkle effect :boom:

After much cursing and leaving it overnight I think the issue is with Revells useless nasty enamel paint taking much longer than advertised to fully dry. I thought a full 24 hours would have been enough but while rubbing down the mess this morning it still felt a little tacky to hold in places where the Alclad hadn't reached.

Must admit I've lost some enthusiasm over this incident so will ignore the paint for a day or two then work out how best to tackle it again. In the meantime I can start work on a display base for it.

Sorry to hear you've been off colour and also having problems with your colours (see what I did there?). I haven't been able to do any modelling and very little browsing either for a few weeks due to life getting in the way (it's really has been one thing after another). Some nice progress being made here and hopefully you'll be back on track soon.

DB

• Like 1

Bad luck with the paint there Col and hope you are fully better for your birthday (and our curry of course). You would expect enamel to be dry after 24 hours of course, maybe let this harden up for a week or more?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies and good wishes gentlemen. After polishing the wrinkled paint flat a second light coat of Alclad produced the same effect :( It's been Micromeshed flat again but my enthusiasm has hit a low and I'm considering striping all paint off to start from bare plastic.

Oh dear :( not good to hear Col. Afraid I don't know enough about alclad to offer advice but could it be temperature related? Or if it is the Revell paint/ primer, have you got any of the alclad primer?

Edited by milktrip

Alclad's hot stuff so I suspect it is melting/reacting with the primer below. I had a problem with the Alclad on my Lightning in the GB and I ended up repriming over the top of it and repainting with a different brand of paint.

DB

Hope you do get your enthusiasm back. I sometimes find that if I'm getting a bit frustrated, due to paint malfunctions etc, reading up on the subject your modelling and / or looking at pictures of the aircraft / car, mannie, whatever again can bring it back.

Oh dear :( not good to hear Col. Afraid I don't know enough about alclad to offer advice but could it be temperature related? Or if it is the Revell paint/ primer, have you got any of the alclad primer?

Hope you do get your enthusiasm back. I sometimes find that if I'm getting a bit frustrated, due to paint malfunctions etc, reading up on the subject your modelling and / or looking at pictures of the aircraft / car, mannie, whatever again can bring it back.

Everything was sprayed and stayed at room temperature Aaron so I'm with Duncan when he says it's most likely down to the Revell paint not having fully cured. A Lightning that had a few spots sprayed at the same time was given a coat of Alclad the next day with no reaction. Will get some of the Alclad primer next time I see some and hopefully avoid this mess again.

Alclad's hot stuff so I suspect it is melting/reacting with the primer below. I had a problem with the Alclad on my Lightning in the GB and I ended up repriming over the top of it and repainting with a different brand of paint.

DB

Will give this one another try in a few days time. If it still reacts I'll go for another coat of primer and enamel silver just to keep it moving.

Cheers for taking the time to reply lads, it's much appreciated, will give something else my attention for a couple days then return to this one.

• Like 4

You do mean Col. Tom? :winkgrin:

erm... yes? (I'm easy to confuse with names, nicks and similar :o )

Anyway, gotta draw that unit insignia for Col's Hunter: nothing is as important as a decently decorated legend.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

Col. I always seal enamels with a coat of clear acrylic varnish before using any Alclad or Testors Metalizer.

That sounds a good plan Henrik. Was tempted to try it with a coat of Future but not sure how that would react.

I have a spare(ish) bottle of grey Alclad primer if you want to use that. I could bring it along on the 21st or you could collect it if you want it sooner.

Thank you for the kind offer Nigel. Have ordered a bottle of the grey primer so hopefully that will allow this one to restart soon.

erm... yes? (I'm easy to confuse with names, nicks and similar :o )

Anyway, gotta draw that unit insignia for Col's Hunter: nothing is as important as a decently decorated legend.

No worries Tom I've been called worse :lol:

Col,

the Quatzalquatl... erm, the 'birdie' that was decorating FAP Hunters in the 1960s just flew out of my window. It said it's underway in your direction. ;-)

Seriously: check your e-mails. Hope, you can find somebody to print it out for you.

• Like 1

the primer seems to have gone on okay. Hope the paint works in your favour this time.

happy belated birthday too. :blush: couldn't find a birthday cake so have a slice of pizza and a can of worms :pizza::worms:

• Like 1

the primer seems to have gone on okay. Hope the paint works in your favour this time.

happy belated birthday too. :blush: couldn't find a birthday cake so have a slice of pizza and a can of worms :pizza::worms:

Aye seems alright so far Aaron. Maybe go for a burst of Alclad later this evening if I get a chance.

Cheers for the pizza and worms - can honestly say I've eaten worse! :lol:

• Like 2

That sounds a good plan Henrik. Was tempted to try it with a coat of Future but not sure how that would react.

I think its safe to say that Future and other related floor polishing products is a kind of liquid polymer plastic. I use Carefree Eternum Floor polish, http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/products/Floorcare/Polishes,+Wax+&+Sealers/Carefree+Eternum+Floor+Polish+x+5+ltr/63989221Got a 0,5liter free sample in the past. its milky white but dries up hard and clear in matter of 10-15 minutes, have never tried Future since it has never been available here in Denmark, But I figure it behaves similar from what I have read. Please correct me if I am wrong :winkgrin: