Peruvian Hawker Hunter F.52

http://stoppel.dk/shop/rdaf-hawker-hunter-7257p.htmlEither these or the previous serial used the first four years of service Unfortunately there is no photo available

Seen those decals mentioned a few days ago but it's pity no photos are available yet. The late overall green scheme is tempting but already have the Modelart (I think) decals for the earlier scheme.

I may be ordering all three sets, Have a huge pile of Hunters. If I do I can shoot a couple of photos and send them

That would be great if you do. The large pile of Revell Hunters in all three scales need some variation in schemes so seems we are in similar circumstances there :lol:

• Like 1

Unfortunately my pile is old, only got one of the newer Revell. Rest is a mix of Airfix, Matchbox and reboxed Frog. Gotta get more Revell's they are awesome kits. Really hoped they would issue a F.4 at some point

• Like 1

It is a pity Revell didn't take full advantage of the modular construction and get a few more versions out :( The F.4 and T.7 would have been popular I'm sure with a GA.11 and T.8 also being my personal wish list.

• Like 1

Me, of course I'm keeping my eye on this one. Nice step by step so far and can't wait to see the airbrake modification.

DB (I obviously still can't use the "Quote" function)

Glad you're enjoying it so far Duncan. Hopefully see you doing the same soon ;)

Agreed a new mainstream manufacturer produced two seater is long overdue in my book. Odd Airfix haven't done a new tool of this British icon in either marks

Was this would be the year they did but perhaps in 2016. Also noticed that Airfix have three new-tool kits in their range with 112 squadron sharksmouths (Kittyhawk, Mustang, Sabre) so perhaps a 112 sqn. F.4 is imminent :pray:

• Like 2

Makes sense if Airfix produced the F.4 Got a lot of potential of export orders

Not to mention the basis for the two-seaters :D New set of decals gets them an F.1 boxing as well. Go on Airfix you know you want to!

• Like 2

Right gang, got a little further over the last couple of evenings, wings first;

Added the tip lights from bits of the clear parts tree with a bulb drilled out and filled with paint before gluing them on and sanding to shape. Also using thick glue to fill the small locating holes for the outer pylons that are not relevant to early Hunters.

20150117_093540.jpg

Intake trunking then got fitted.

20150117_093451.jpg

Also been working in the cockpit. Added a little extra to the kit parts then painted black with successively lighter drybrushed coats of grey shades to lift out the detail.

20150117_093142.jpg

20150117_093326.jpg

I've not added so much detail as is usually the case due to most of it being obscured by this chap on the left,

20150117_093253.jpg

He's been modified to fit from a Matchbox pilot and has the stick top and throttle in his hands. Came from the Matchbox Hunter T.7 kit so qualified to fly an F.52 ;)

Next task will be painting Victor here and some more detail painting in the cockpit.

• Like 5

Love the way you modified that pilot ! Matchbox modern pilots were nicely moulded but the pose was really bad... I mean, what's a pilot doing with hands on his knees ?

I have a question too: where did you get the vacformed parts for the intake ?

• Like 1

Love the way you modified that pilot ! Matchbox modern pilots were nicely moulded but the pose was really bad... I mean, what's a pilot doing with hands on his knees ?

I have a question too: where did you get the vacformed parts for the intake ?

Thanks Giorgio. My thoughts exactly on the Matchbox pilots. Alas Airfix are doing exactly the same now as Matchbox did back in the 70s with their crew figures but at least there is a pilot in the kits.

The intake parts were home-made using an old wheel balance weight shaped as the male part. With so many Hunter kits in the stash it gets regular use. I can post a photo of it if that helps?

• Like 3

Thanks Lex. Spent yesterday painting some details around the cockpit and Victor the pilot so he could be installed.

20150118_093011.jpg

20150118_093032.jpg

20150118_093101.jpg

Please excuse the blurry pictures but I've only got the camera on a smartphone and no talent to use it.

Anyway, enough excuses, sure you get the idea of what's happening. With Victor comfortably seated the completed 'pit got sandwiched between the fuselage halves and everything glued together. Also added the gun port/nose undercarriage part and nose cone.

20150118_105132.jpg

All the bits fitted well so after minimal clean-up of the seams I'll get onto the airbrake modifications next. One aspect of Hunter F.4 & 5s worth investigating is the presence or lack of the link collector bulges under the forward fuselage. Early Hunters were produced without them at first and it was only later in production they rolled out the factory door with them attached although most F.1/2/4/5 airframes appear to have them retrofitted at some point in their service lives. The Peruvian examples were no exception and many photos of the aircraft show them without the bulges at first although they did receive them later. Given that I've heavily drybrushed the 'pit to highlight details I feel it's therefore best to depict the aircraft later in service where a weathered 'pit is more likely. The kit bulges are a great fit but the shell ejector chutes will need modifying so have been removed.

20150118_125108.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers Aaron. If truth be told it was far easier to make a new stick top and fit to Victor's hand than trying to fit him to the kit control column. Plus it gives me a new control column to install in a stalled Hunter T.8 project ;)

• Like 1

More progress :D

As you can see here the wings and tailcone are now on;

20150121_202819.jpg

Before the tailcone was fitted I cut a slot in the lower rear fuselage to represent the bay where the airbrake operating ram to fits into. A bit of plastic sheet was then stuck to some White Tac wrapped around a paintbrush handle and glued in place inside the fuselage to back said slot. With that firmly glued in place a length of rod was glued into the bay to represent the retracted hydraulic ram;

20150121_202736.jpg

Also drilled out the spent cartridge ejector ports beside the link collector bulges in their correct places. A small piece of brass tube will be glued into the forward one some time soon;

20150121_202751.jpg

You can also see some filler was required on one of the wing root joints.

The tip of the tail bullet fairing was then replaced with a piece of clear plastic runner from the canopy sprue and sanded to shape;

20150121_202723.jpg

Victor is now sitting comfortably in his 'office' ready for flight :D

20150121_202803.jpg

Think a gunsight is next on the list of jobs...

• Like 4