*FINISHED* LEBANON: 1/72 LAF SE-3160 Alouette III

Nice one Henrik; good enough reason to crack open a bottle of wine :whistle:

With a bit of forward planning and time I was thinking that it might be possible to take a cast of the top and try vac forming this section.

• Like 2

for me yes; It took a few practice attempts but I was very pleased with the outcome of the canopy I made. I intend to use it for a few other projects in the future for which no aftermarket (or very limited and rare) kits exist so I see this as worth the money. I tried crash moulding and wasn't very good at it so this, although pricey, was exactly what I needed. what I will say though is that there is quite a lot of wastage if you are moulding small items. I've not got round to it yet but I was going to see if theres a way to make some sort of adapter that slots inside the area where you place your mould. That way you can use smaller cuts of plastic.

cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

Good morning folks,

I had a 5 day Compex training course last week so been rather quiet; I did however manage to get an hour each evening to progress. I'm afraid there are no in-between photos which I must apologies for.

anyway... fuselage and cockpit parts glued together.

IMG_0587_zps29cc42da.jpg

I added some milliput to the rear bulkhead and shaped. Primer also added to the cockpit and bulkhead.

IMG_0588_zps59b785b7.jpg

IMG_0589_zps94af3612.jpg

Some other small parts that I have been working on

IMG_0591_zpsf0ec055a.jpg

The front seats are from an airfix MBB BO 105 kit that I never finished. They look a little more like the seats in the photo of the aircraft I'm trying to replicate. Extratech etch parts added to these and then primed.

IMG_0592_zpsbc1e01e7.jpg

The first bit of paint (not counting primer). Yellow on the tail rotor and tail rotor guard / support strut(?). The tail rotor is the extra tech supplied piece. Lovely detail but I think the blades are a little wide but I'm not really fussed about that. I used white as a primer for this and the guard piece. the support strut(?) - not really sure what this is, but some alouettes have this, some don't. Anyway, I used grey primer on this to great a different tone of yellow which seems to be the case in the photo I have. The yellow looks a bit too greenybrown though but Im hoping it will look okay when glued in place.

IMG_0593_zpsfc2edcfa.jpg

Main rotor. Still need to add some detail. The tips appear to be fluorescent orange so I've primed the tips with white and shall get some paint on them soon.

IMG_0594_zps59aef944.jpg

I also have a plan for the interior, using some masking tape with some strategically cut lines and holes, painted and used to represent some floor matting.

IMG_0595_zps144955ce.jpg

And some dry fit shots:

IMG_0596_zps4aae5420.jpg

IMG_0597_zps8c11ec17.jpg

IMG_0598_zps7331307a.jpg

The clear parts are currently drying after a dip in Klear. Im a bit concerned about the fit of these. I need to make a start on the seats in the rear oh and I really need to pull my finger out and detail the gearbox so I can glue this in place and finish the surface detailing.

Sorry about the photo hungry post and thanks for looking

cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

Cheers guys :)

Thanks Henrik, thats good to know. Hope mine is the same, easier to apply filler on the top seam. I'm thinking of using the AC ducting supplied in the whirlybits set, this should help add a bit of support to the top seam.

oh dear :( well all the more reason to build it for the french fancy GB :D I was thinking about a SAR GB but there are already a number of good ideas for next year that I haven't suggested it yet. Are you going to re-use the floats from this kit? They seem to be it good condition. Although yours is sadly in pieces it still shows what a lovely little kit this builds into.

• Like 1

The floats will be salvaged for sure. the rest is left only for reference of special items like locations of antennas, mirror and nav lights and as a reminder so I don't make the same small errors on the new build as I did on the old.

• Like 1

Good evening,

I've spent the last few nights mainly on the interior and I'm almost there. The fronts seats are pretty much done, just need to get the should straps to stick down, apply a wash for some shadows and then give them a matt coat. The blue is not as vibrant as I had hoped.

IMG_0611_zpsq9gsiiha.jpg

the troop seats are scratch built. Milliputt cushions with plasticard base and brass rod. I still need to fit the seatbelts to these and as above apply a wash and matt everything down. There is a partition that sits between the 'VIP' seat and the instrument panel, This has received a coat of paint on one side and is currently drying before I paint the other side (it has not been photographed here). Its not by best effort of an interior (it just seems so plain!! :P) but I'm still pleased so far. The doors won't be open on this build so I didn't really feel the need to go to town with this.

IMG_0607_zpsrqcwfm00.jpg

And here are some photos with the pilot & 'VIP' seats in position but not glued.

IMG_0608_zps8vzzfntf.jpg

IMG_0609_zpslocabp9g.jpg

IMG_0610_zpssxpa9kqd.jpg

thanks for looking

Cheers

Aaron

• Like 3

Thanks Craig :) in the photos of the original aircraft the seat belts look quite busy compared to what was provided in the etch set, so I added some thin masking tape to busy it up a bit. I tested the blue on a spare bit of card and it looked rather nice but unfortunately it doesn't stand out as much as I had hoped against the grey of the seats :( with a bit of shadowing maybe / hopefully :pray: they will. I do quite like the armrest on the VIP seat even if I do say so myself :P

Edited by milktrip