Dassault Rafale M

Hi all,

Here's my latest creation to roll off the workbench: Revell's 1/48 Rafale M. This is the original issue, so I've used Wolfpack's M Production resin update set and a host of minor scratch building to get it to represent an M from 2007. The decals are Model Alliance and poorly researched. A full build article, including all the updates I made (and those I didn't!) is at jonbryon.com/RafaleM.html.

Comments welcome; thanks for looking.

Jon

RafaleM_001.JPG

RafaleM_009.JPG

RafaleM_011.JPG

RafaleM_027.JPG

RafaleM_016.JPG

RafaleM_023.JPG

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 19

Most beautiful modern fighter to my mind (with the Mirage 2000 D and N) … And amazing model (finish, details, weathering … ) :)

• Like 2

Modelwise the Rafale is a popular choice among the modellers and manufacturers,but in the real world it doesn't generate much interest except to the Indian Air Force and of course France.Anyway,the design is pleasing to the eyes and yes,your model is exceptionally beautiful too. I can see a lot of hard work have been put into creating such a fine model!Jolly good work!

• Like 1

Always good to see a Rafale, especially one so well made. It's just about the best jet around at the moment for my money, I love the thing.

If I may offer a critiique, though I suspect you're aware given your mention of the poor MA decals, Ithe markings would benefit from being toned down, the roundels esepcailly. I shot this jet at Yeovilton in 2012 which shows just how low-vis they are.

7575447688_fff2972c41_o.jpgVL2012_Deps_09A by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Hope that helps, and by no means detracts from a well finished model

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your remarks. Most appreciated :)

If I may offer a critiique, though I suspect you're aware given your mention of the poor MA decals, Ithe markings would benefit from being toned down, the roundels esepcailly. I shot this jet at Yeovilton in 2012 which shows just how low-vis they are.

Thanks Shaun. Yes, in my full write up you'll see I comment that the contrast between the markings and the paint is far too stark. I suspect part of the reason is that MA coloured the markings for FS36375, which in my opinion is a rubbish match for the Rafale since it is far too pale and too blue. But they could also simply have got it wrong, as they also got the colour of the roundels wrong (peach rather than red), the font and sizing of 'MARINE' wrong, and the tail emblems wrong (on #11 in 2008 both should point left, not forward).

Also worth noting (as I do in my write up) that the finish of #11 in 2012/2013 is much much dirtier than in 2007/8. Mine is modelled for 2007, when it was missing the tail emblems; there are lots of photos on airliners.net. In 2007/8 the Rafales were notably clean, except for the undersides.

Cheers

Jon

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 1

Excellent, may tempt me to try this kit out, always liked it and very inspiring to see what can be done!

• Like 1

Nice build. Where'd you get the white marine decals? The revell m boxing I'm currently building comes with grey marine decals.

The decals are by Model Alliance, and kindly provided by Stephen who's just posted above :)

They are actually grey; it's just they're too light.

Jon