Welcome back and go go on with your builds :)

Guys, as my first build is going on, i was thinking what to build next. There are tons and tons of interesting camouflages of P-40s, but.. i found some interesting ideas, based on P-40 and i m trying to gather some info about these, might build them as a bit of "what if" :) But i m not promissing anything, just thinking on loud.

Anyway, here are the versions i m looking for more info:

P-40J (project of P-40E with supercharger)

P-40P (merlin powered P-40N)

Also some time ago i found photo of P-40 with 20mm guns mounted under wing. Any info to this anyone?

And one real version - i like the look of P-40 with the "bazooka" tubes under wing, but all i can find is one photo.. I m anyway looking for the underwing rack detail shot, anyone would have info about any of this?

Edited by Wolwe82

Wolwe, for the J and P, do you have William Green's 1961 book Fighters, Vol.4? He says the J was going to be an Allison engine with turbo-supercharger. I believe it was not built. Green does not mention an O or a P. Neither does Baugher: http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p40.html

Rule Number 8 says we may build consistent-with-the-period what-if models, so I think you will be left to your imagination for a J or a P.

Rocket tubes were (also?) fitted to the P-51 and P-47. Maybe if you search those, you can see the mounting. Also, please see the reference photos I posted in a separate thread (not Mish's thread), a P-40N in a salvage yard, standing on its nose, with unusual mounts under the wing.

Edited by Tom Hall
  • Like 1

Thanks Tom :) The J and P were not built, so you are right, i did read the rules later and it would not fit (i take the what if ¨counts only to camouflages), but it would be interestng to see how the turbocharger would change the look (if it would at all). Also there were few projects/prototypes with moved/removed coolers from under the nose, but i think one month is not enough to do it, at least for me.. :/

The rocket tubes were the same (or similar) as the P-51/47 and even 38/39 (and more, remember some piper cub with it as well :) ),i was more wondering about the pure racks under wings (some P-40s were flying with bombs under wings, remember i saw a shot of P-40 carrying 3x2 bombs -under fuselage and under wings in pairs, it did look awesome too).

Here is link where i did find the basic info of J and P :)http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/09/stuff_eng_p40.htm

• Like 1

Anyone got a good suggestion for me? I am after an acylic that matches the Blue and Red in the American Insignia for my Pearl Harbour P-40. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Seeing as this is where the P-40 experts seem to be gathered...

I'm not involved in this GB, but I have dug out a built-but-not-painted Hasegawa Kittyhawk 1a as part of my 'build a new one, finish an old one' scheme. This is planned to be in 450 SQN RAAF service, as per Aussie Decals sheet A72016 (either OK.D/FR583 or OK.F/FR317) - desert colours with a large boxing kangaroo on the port-side nose.

My question is... does anyone have a definitive camo scheme for this aircraft? The sheet supplied only shows the port side, and I cannot marry-up what is shown there with any 450 SQN aircraft camo that I can find photos for. I'm also having trouble even finding these two serials listed online anywhere.

I can't imagine that the references that AD quote got it wrong, but I'm wondering...

For additional information, the reference quoted on the sheet for this airframe is: Desert Air Force by Chas Bowyer

If anyone has a copy of it, could they look it up and see what they can see? Please? All contributions accepted.

Ta

Rob.

Osprey Tomahawk and Kittyhawk Aces of the RAF and Commonwealth has a few pics of 450 Sqn Kittyhawks. The IA's seem to mostly have serials beginning with 'AK', while the pics of Kittyhawk III's (short tail with fillet) are OK-M/FR300 and OK-X/FR125. It seems that 'FR' prefixed Kittyhawks are most likely III's.

This site shows FR317 to be 42-46110, a P-40K handed over as a Kittyhawk III that eventually crash landed near Syracuse (Sicily, I assume, not NY) in 1943 as a member of 112 Sqn.

I guess I'm confused too.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Cookenbacher.

Further investigation, using the decal sheet number as a search term, gives me this (of specific interest is the long reply from Steve Mackenzie, approx 2/3 down):

http://www.network54.com/Forum/219149/thread/1170847488/How+accurate+are+the+colours+in+the+nose+art---

Which would seem to indicate that there's been some serious wheel fallingoffery going on in past RAAF markings research. Including the fact that not only does the decal sheet have the FR583 serial incorrect, as well as the camo scheme, it's also been assigned to the wrong aircraft type anyway, which seems to gel with what you have discovered about FR317. Unless -317 really did crash in New York. ;)

I will continue to research this (and will probably just get more confused than I am now), but I'm still open to any suggestions or avenues for clarification! And in the meantime, I'll use another choice from the sheet - probably Bobby Gibbes' a/c, CV-V/ET953, which although not as flash a personal marking, is very well documented and seems to be accurate.

• Like 1

Anyone got a good suggestion for me? I am after an acylic that matches the Blue and Red in the American Insignia for my Pearl Harbour P-40. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Tamiya - X-3 Royal Blue and XF-7 Flat Red or Mr Hobby Flat Red - H-13 and H326 - Blue. I am hopping to cut masks for mine instead of using decals

Tamiya - X-3 Royal Blue and XF-7 Flat Red or Mr Hobby Flat Red - H-13 and H326 - Blue. I am hopping to cut masks for mine instead of using decals

Thanks Sean I will pop to my local and see if they have any

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I'm going to FTF (fail to finish), as I'll be in Arizona from later today until April 2, and won't be able to get correct paints before I get back home.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens to the group build threads when the deadline is reached? The whole set disappears from the Current Group Build board and all threads within it are locked?

As usual, I have been too busy with other matters to get my model done in three months, but I expect to finish it by year end and display it elsewhere on this site. So much for my first group build.

A superb collection of builds finished and ongoing as the GB comes to a close, a big thanks to the hosts from me and well done to everyone for

making it a huge success! :thumbsup:

• Like 5

Indeed thanks to the Hosts and all who joined in.

Seeing everyone else's build spurred me on to finish my first group build.

A most enjoyable few months have been had

Simon

Great builds and conversation/chat; that´s what a good GB is made of! Actually this opened my eyes a lot regarding the P-40. Much like the Sherman or Pz.IV, a true workhorse and the best tool at hand at the moment of need. Respect! Regards, V-P