Hey guys, just a question about the rules. I m browsing e-shop for some goodies for P-40 and found P-40 egg plane. I guess the egg plane would be a bit too far, right? :D

Nope, there's already one in the gallery.

• Like 2

Thanks, sadly they do not have the egg kit at store.. Well, no problem, i ll build some P-40E/K/M/N from one of the Academy/AZ Model/Sword kit i have at stash. Thinking about the Sword kit, but i m so tempted to go for "Wairarapa WildCat", but it is P-40M.

So if you guys could help me - is there some difference between P-40K and P-40M, from modellers point of view? Different exhausts would be not problem, different shape of tail for example would be a bit harder to fix. THanks :)

edit: nevermind, just ordered the Academy P-40M/N kit ;)

Edited by Wolwe82

Thanks, sadly they do not have the egg kit at store.. Well, no problem, i ll build some P-40E/K/M/N from one of the Academy/AZ Model/Sword kit i have at stash. Thinking about the Sword kit, but i m so tempted to go for "Wairarapa WildCat", but it is P-40M.

So if you guys could help me - is there some difference between P-40K and P-40M, from modellers point of view? Different exhausts would be not problem, different shape of tail for example would be a bit harder to fix. THanks :)

edit: nevermind, just ordered the Academy P-40M/N kit ;)

P-40K and P-40M were different:23_zps8edaf775.jpg22_zps99f3c5ef.jpg

Guys,a couple of years ago I got Smer,s boxing of I think the M version I have still got two sheets of decals each with a Russian/US and an RAF 112 sqn machine

if anyone wants a set let me know,Oh,never buy this kit it is bloody awful.

I saw your P-40s cooken and they look great, i liked the chipping as well :) and no worry, you ll see with every try, you ll get it more and more to hand. I have also a lot to learn :) One rule for chipping and weathering is "stop when you think it needs a bit more" :) sometimes less is more :) But as i said, i liked the chipping you did :)

Steve, the Smer P-40K is ex Vista/Kovozavody Semily kit. It is not so bad kit (it was quite great back then!), Revell also used the same sprues in their boxing. From todays point of view it is ofcourse nothing superb :) For the money, you better get Academy or so

• Like 2

Guys,a couple of years ago I got Smer,s boxing of I think the M version I have still got two sheets of decals each with a Russian/US and an RAF 112 sqn machine

if anyone wants a set let me know,Oh,never buy this kit it is bloody awful.

No, Smer made a "K" modification. But you are really right - awful kit!

Edited by S48
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drop out of this one, was hoping to do the "Sky Captain" movie version but haven't sourced the "h-110d" lettering needed for the fuselage

As my kit is the Airfix starter one and there's already a couple of those on the go it doesn't seem worthwhile adding another one in 112 squadron colours

Besides which I've more than enough GB's to be getting on with here,

My apologies,

IanJ

has anybody put the Legends P-40 cockpit together. Mine has no instructions???

So did mine! :mental: But the box top photograph was most useful. :winkgrin:

Christian the Married and exiled to africa...

ok so I don't know my P-40's but if someone can help with the obvious

LP-P40-cockpit.png

I have no idea what 1 is. It may be the firewall - do you glue it to the back of the dash?

Academy instruction call for the fuselage to be glued and then the cockpit inserted from the bottom. Do I follow this or glue the sidewall in and then the other bits and then mate the fuselage halves?

I have learned that the p-40 floor slants, so is there an angle on the seat 3

I haven't even begun to work out what to paint which colour, but I am sure there are lots of pics to reference, once I figure out how this goes together.

Thanks

Sean, are you making the Tomahawk IIb? Desert markings?

You show the Legend company photo as illustration. I take it that we are free to comment on colouring and that you have not started your set yet.

Part number 1 would be installed as a vertical bulkhead at the step edge at the front of the cockpit floor. The two black things that look like liquor bottles in this photo are the fuselage machine guns; their cylindrical parts should have a horizontal axis.

The fuselage side parts you will want to check against photos of real planes because the components vary by variant. You will want to have a look at the derelict that was discovered in the desert, which is an E-1, I think. Mish's reference thread and other Google images. There were some different styles of map case at the pilot's right elbow.... Do you need every gadget in the cockpit to be perfect? The hood (canopy) will be shut?

The bulkhead immediately behind the pilot's seat probably should not be that thick if one can see the oval cutout in it. I am not sure that the export plane, the H-81, had any big cutout in this bulkhead. I don't see it in the desert derelict. Again, please see both Mish's reference photos and the reference photos I posted, now found near the last entry on this group build, especially the Curtiss plant photos by Life Magazine. Yes, I believe this bulkhead has the same slant from the top of the fuselage spine all the way down to the floor. The floor is slightly arched, and the position of the seat looks about right to me. The pillow with what looks like the sole of a shoe glued to the front of it I don't understand.

Edited by Tom Hall

To add to Tom's discussion.

The instrument panel should be mounted on Part 1 so that the rear of the machine guns protrude into the cockpit area.

The oval cut-out in the bulkhead behind the seat should be there. It allowed access to the fuel tank that was immediately behind it.

The slant of this panel is correct.

The pillow is the pilots head rest.

The floor is arched as it was in reality the upper surface of the wing.

Even if it made to fit a identified model, considerable sanding of the cockpit and kit components is likely to be required to make fit...

Christian the Married and exiled to africa...

You're welcome. (It would be difficult to change the resin part, but I think the upper seat back should have some curvature to fit the pilot's back.)

Edited by Tom Hall

Guys, i need some help with P-40M radio/antenne system. Usualy, the RNZAF/RAAF P-40M have the column behind cockpit. But all the shots of P-40M from 44th FS (USAAF) i could find shows the planes without this column, just with some whip antenne cca in middle of the fuselage spine. Also on some you can notice the wire from tail to the spine behind cockpit (or better say, you can see the insulators).

The question is.. did the USAAF P-40Ms used the antenne wires leading from tail to the wing edges or not? Thanks guys :)

I have just spent the weekend doing vinyl masks. I have P40B/C USA type with the camo painted in where the roundels should go. The P-40E US Type and RAF Type used in the desert per Academy paint scheme. (The wings are different) PM me if you are interested. I have done them for myself for the GB and don't have any detailed instructions, but thought I would make them available to the Group

• Like 4

Hi all!

I'd like to join this GB but I have started my post in the wrong spot, here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977548-p-40e-in-brazilian-air-force-service-circa-1943-academy-172-wip/

Could one of the administrators to move it into here? Otherwise I'm happy to continue the build as it is.

Cheers

Paulo

both are F´s :) or at least the chosen planes. However, i did find these shots too, just want to be sure, because the wires are often very hard to see on old shots :( But i do agree from the M shots it does not look like there would be wire to the wingtips. Thanks

Hi all!

I'd like to join this GB but I have started my post in the wrong spot, here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234977548-p-40e-in-brazilian-air-force-service-circa-1943-academy-172-wip/

Could one of the administrators to move it into here? Otherwise I'm happy to continue the build as it is.

Cheers

Paulo

Asked the Admin mods to move the thread to this forum.

Wolwe and Tom, I think that the antenna configuration could vary quite a bit, even on the same variant. I made a mistake with my E's, as neither should have had the mast on the fuselage, but they did have all three antennas. Having made that mistake, I researched the K's better, and the RCAF K looks to have the wingtip to tail antennas, but no fuselage one. The silver K appears to have only a 'whip' antenna on the fuselage, but it does have the fuselage mast.

Looking at pics in the Squadron book, it looks like most M's had a fuselage mast with an antenna running from the fuselage to the top of the mast and then to the tail, and no wingtip antennas. Hope this helps.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1