I was thinking of having a go at adding rivets for this as I have never tried it before. Would anyone know how to get some good plans showing the rivet lines that I could scale

Thanks

Simon

Procopius, was your question answered? Are you thinking of 1/72 scale Hasegawa? As far as I know, Hasegawa has not updated the 1/72 P-40 moulds.

What I have run into on both my 1/72 P-40E and N models is some warp in the wing pieces. (Possibly affecting you, too, English Electric, if you are speaking of the Hasegawa 1/72 scale N.) I have deeply scored the backside of the upper wing pieces and wrestled and massaged the three pieces so that I'm almost there, but warp is something to look for in some of the Hasegawa kits of the 1970s. (I did not apply much heat for this massaging, Afraid of mozzarella wing.)

• Like 1

Procopius, was your question answered? Are you thinking of 1/72 scale Hasegawa? As far as I know, Hasegawa has not updated the 1/72 P-40 moulds.

It was not until now, so thank you, you handsome devil!

I did order a Hase Kittyhawk Ia, but it remains to be seen if I'll be able get to it anytime soon.

Please forgive my rude manners. I was looking at some of the group builds and some of the posts and I began to think "Did I ever ask for permission to come aboard and play?" I think I did, but I now am not sure. So belatedly, as I have already started a thread, may I please join this merry band of hawk builders?

Procopius, I see your request for book recommendations on the WWII airplane forum above.

Are you enquiring in order to decide which variant or camouflage scheme to build for this group build?

If so, please tell us a little about the goals for your collection and your interests. Unless you are very competitive about modelling or a book collector, I don't think you would need very many books to do this group build. Besides, certain books have blind spots about various details of construction.

• Like 1

Procopius, I see your request for book recommendations on the WWII airplane forum above.

Are you enquiring in order to decide which variant or camouflage scheme to build for this group build?

If so, please tell us a little about the goals for your collection and your interests. Unless you are very competitive about modelling or a book collector, I don't think you would need very many books to do this group build. Besides, certain books have blind spots about various details of construction.

Hi Tom,

It might be most accurate to say I'm flirting with the idea of joining the GB once I finish my Liberator and possibly one other kit I have queued up to build. Whenever I start working on a new type -- incredibly, I've never built a P-40 before -- I always like to know a bit about its history and role, and for an aircraft with as many variants as the P-40, it also seems like it'd be handy to have a convenient print reference.

I generally prefer to build aircraft in RAF or Commonwealth markings, and so my major area of interest would be the P-40s flown by them. I'm also a bit of a sharkmouth aficionado.

Okay, good. That allows us to steer away from advising you on VVS planes, at least. I don't think they did shark mouth markings on P-40s very much, but I have only a small number of published photos for Soviet P-40s.

Maybe after you get the Liberator finished you can make a decision. I think that for starters, online research may be an inexpensive way for you to focus your interest. Also, if it develops here that a ton of desert Tomahawks get built, you may decide you would like something different.

Can we assume you have not got the kit yet? Or, can we narrow down the possibilities based on what kit you have?

• Like 1

Can we assume you have not got the kit yet? Or, can we narrow down the possibilities based on what kit you have?

At present I have a Hasegawa Kittyhawk Ia (the "RNZAF" boxing) and the Sword Kittyhawk III double kit. But other kits call to me, especially the Special Hobby P-40F/L double boxing.

EDIT: Somehow, the Special Hobby dual boxing ended up in my shopping cart and is en route to me.

• Like 1

Guys! I want to apologize for any lagging in posts from me in the various treads. But my brain can't handle to actively following all treads in all group builds so I are choosing some which I comment on. Which is projects of most interest for me. Not meaning that all other projects are rubbish at all. Everybody is doing a great job and deserves a lot of credit for their work.

Just writing this because I haven't been as active in this GB like I wanted too initially.

hgbn don't worry about it the whole point of gb's is fun we all sometime take on too much which is why I choose builds in sequence and finish one before starting another Other wise I just get fed up with too much on the bench at once and lose enthusiasm for all of them. I could have easily entered everything but I just stick to what works for m. If you look at Enzo or hardtarget frankly I don't know how they do it.

Realise I am late on parade, but does anyone object if I join in? Nothing fancy, an Airfix AVG build pretty much OOB, but I kept seeing completed builds and thinking I fancy one of those. Not my usual sphere so expect mistakes a plenty!

Hi. Time to join this one. I had waited 'til I visit my favorite hobby shop (160 klicks away) and come home with an Airfix Tomahawk. They were sold out! Fortunately, I found an Academy P-40E. I just read an excellent build thread of one here, thanks to Cookenbacher I now know what to look out for in my build. While I finish my Folgore first I have time to make up my mind how I'll finish this one; there aren't too many Soviet lend-leasers, though... V-P

Edited by vppelt68
  • Like 1