If I get my Tucano done this week I may jump in on this with an Academy P-40C, if thats ok with everyone, and just do it straight OOB (with maybe a bit of scratch build)

Simon

Edited by Skids

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can confirm my research into the colour scheme of the AVG (Flying Tigers) P-40s operating in Burma in 1942? My research tells me they where Dark Green and Dark Earth camouflage with Neutrall Grey undersides. I ask because I have found a reference that claims the P-40s were painted Dark Green and Light earth with light blue/grey undersides. However I think they may have changed to this scheme when the group relocated to China.

Anyone have any reference they can help with? Thanks.

I would suggest contacting Mr. Nick Millman, Ma'am: this gets gone into a lot, and he is the best informed person I know of.

Short answer is that the machines were finished in colors made in the U.S. equivalent to Dark Earth, Dark Green, and Sky. Neutral Grey as used in the USAAC was not employed. That said, there is a great deal of controversy over just what shade the U.S. equivalent color to Sky (made by DuPont) actually was, with opinions running from very close to exact match down to a grey-blue. Then the question of weathering comes in. Facilities in Burma were primitive and conditions extreme. Weathering would be heavy, and doubtless changed the color of the paints noticeably. One likely direction for this would be making the 'Dark Earth' paler, and making the 'Sky' more grey.

• Like 3

Hi Mish. I did the Airfix AVG Hawk, and just used the Humbrol paints called out on the back of the box. Slightly different to the RAF green/earth. I was happy enough with it, but these aircraft were very worn and the paint faded quite a bit. They were patched up, and odd panels here and there were replaced and repainted giving the aircraft a well used appearance.

AVGHawk005.jpg

Fellow Britmodeller ArmouredSprue did a very comprehensive WIP on his AVG Hawk and posted some good reference photos and even paint chips. Worth checking out in the WIP section.

With hind sight I would probably lighten the colours with a little white, and then add some darker paint to represent the touched up areas. AVG Hawks can be a bit of a can of worms, but like all things it's really up to the individual how far they want to go with it.

Good luck with your build.

Edited by chockhead
  • Like 1

Have a Hasegawa Kittyhawk Mk I and a Hasegawa P-40N both in 1/72 in my stash.. But I'm a bit undecided to which I should enter this STGB with. Like the RAF sandbox camo a lot, But the canopy on the N is so cool to, so its hard to chose. I recon that I only have time to build one, since its about last time to join the BF 110 STGB which is also dragging, plus the Lesserbuild GB and the Sea King STGB in which I'm the host.

Any suggestions?

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can confirm my research into the colour scheme of the AVG (Flying Tigers) P-40s operating in Burma in 1942? My research tells me they where Dark Green and Dark Earth camouflage with Neutrall Grey undersides. I ask because I have found a reference that claims the P-40s were painted Dark Green and Light earth with light blue/grey undersides. However I think they may have changed to this scheme when the group relocated to China.

Hi Mish

The AVG P 40's you are referring to in 1942, are you in the period from Januarary-March 1942 with the fall of Singapore/Malyasia? Or are you referring to the AVG post that period where the AVG would have been issued P40E's, which to my understanding were more likely to be the colours (Neutral grey) in your question?

If you are with the Januarary-March 1942, the lower colour was supposed to be more akin to this colour in US manufactured paints.

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/hkins/media/MOTAT/FILE0263copy_zps5a2334d5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Hi folks,

Hi Mish as far as l know they where from RAF stock so could be Dark green ,dark earth and maybe sky or as they came from the states a close FS match

IMG_0076_zps024de512.jpg

IMG_0078_zps814edd02.jpg

Cheers Les

Edited by wellzy

Ok just a quick one on this does anyone know where I can get 72 scale sharkmouth decals. As I'm building the xp40q but it's the pegasus kit and the decals are known to be a little bit erm........ Pants I've got loads of spare stars and bars.

I know.....Had originally planned to build a Hasegawa 1/32 P-40N Limited Edition kit i had in my stash..

But a model buddy wanted it so bad he bought it off me for £250,and i've never gotten around to replacing it....now BOOM the GB is here.

I sure i can pick up a 1/48 Hase kit or even a Italeri(Ex-AMT) kit.....the latter are alittle rough around the edges but still look like a P-40 when finished.

A little help please. Excuse my non technical terms (after all I am a Driver not a techie)

On the P-40 rear of the radiator on the underside how many flaps are there? I mean the ones to the rear of the engine & not the wing ones. My Egg plane is a little bare & this is something I can add.

Thanks in advance.

Was going to do a Flying Tiger but wondered is there much visual difference between a C and a B version.

Would really like to do the Olive drab B version but not sure if I would get away with it?

Thanks

Simon

In model terms they are pretty much identical.

In real life the main difference on the P-40C was the extra armor plate,better fuel system,new fuel tanks(self sealing) and a slightly higher rated engine to offset the heavier weight of the P-40C with the extras fitted

• Like 1