GB Chat

Cliff

Daft question: if we are doing builds from a number of nations, would you prefer a separate thread for each nation or are you happy for one thread from each modeller covering multiple builds?

The choice is yours Roland so long as each nation is clearly stated in the title and you put separate posts in the finished gallery. What did you have in mind?

Hi Roland

Personally I would prefer to see separate threads for each nation, unless the builds are essentially the same. For example, AndrewE is doing two Hunters, both based on the same Revell kit (one for Abu Dhabi and one for Singapore). On the basis that these are going to be built concurrently, it makes some sense to have a single build thread.

In the more usual situation however, where either:

1. the models are from different kits or

2. the models are not being built concurrently

then it would be better to have separate threads, otherwise things will get very confusing.

Hope this makes sense.

Cliff

• Like 2

It's a chance to try some new techniques at least....

I'll take Republic of the Congo then please!

Hi Phil, I'll sign you up :)

I'm glad that Col sorted out all those Congo Republics!

Cliff

Hi Phil, I'll sign you up :)

I'm glad that Col sorted out all those Congo Republics!

Cliff

Nothing a small civil war wouldn't simplify greatly Phil :frantic:

• Like 1

Hi David

I'll sign you up for the DDR - so welcome to the GB!

From what I saw earlier today, Abu Dhabi seemed to have different markings to those currently used by UAE so their may still be some mileage in Dubai.

I'll look into further over the weekend.

In the meantime if anything else takes your fancy, just let us know.

Cheers

Cliff

I had a little browse and it seems that Abu Dhabi have used two different markings in their Air Force. I saw a (model) Hunter representing a 1970s Abu Dhabi Air Force plane and it had Red, White and Sand(?) Roundels, but a later aircraft had the current UAE markings (same as the Dubai markings I had been planning).

Maybe the various UAE countries gradually changed to what would be the unified UAE Markings in readiness?

Update:

Looked at the kit I had in mind for this should it be a goer...

447d141547e90b46c817038fb28682cd.jpg

Described as "United Arab Emirates Air Force Police Air Wing, Dubai 1977"

However, according to Wikipedia, the UAE AF did not exist until 1999, so this description is wrong strictly speaking, but the Union Defence Force of the UAE was formed in 1976, so I assume this is what was meant?

Edited by Mop

Hi David,

I think the Hunter that Andrew is building for Abu Dhabi is using the earlier marking as you describe (from the Xtradecals sheet) - I'll check with him.

This being the case, the Dubai/UAE markings would be fine. Are you still interested in doing this, as well as your other two?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi David,

I think the Hunter that Andrew is building for Abu Dhabi is using the earlier marking as you describe (from the Xtradecals sheet) - I'll check with him.

This being the case, the Dubai/UAE markings would be fine. Are you still interested in doing this, as well as your other two?

Cheers

Cliff

I do. At least it means I have the markings for one of my builds guaranteed available :D

I haven't even started putting knife to sprue yet and enjoying this GB :) loving finding out new info on new areas :)

• Like 1

Noting the popularity of this GB, Cliff will you be letting nations go as of say an agreed mid way point so that some of us who may wish to do two builds can take nations that have not yet been started/confirmed by that point? This may see me do two builds. The Malaysian F-5F and whatever else comes forward that I can satisfy from the decal and kit stash.

Noting the popularity of this GB, Cliff will you be letting nations go as of say an agreed mid way point so that some of us who may wish to do two builds can take nations that have not yet been started/confirmed by that point? This may see me do two builds. The Malaysian F-5F and whatever else comes forward that I can satisfy from the decal and kit stash.

Hi Kev

You raise an interesting point.

All of the nations listed in the 'Welcome and Rules' post have been re-confirmed by their builders within the last 4 weeks and so one has to assume that the vast majority of these will be started at some point (I know some will be late starters). I genuinely think that the number of non-starters will be very small, but of course life can get in the way and so there may be a few.

Not all builds are likely to be finished within the GB timetable, but that's normal and fine. I would not want participants to feel under particular pressure to 'complete' in this GB, as long as builds are embarked upon with realistic intentions.

I'm also sure that none of us want to be constantly pestered with 'are you sure you're going to build that' messages (and I know that's not what you are suggesting Kev).

A sensible approach would seem to be:

1) All participants recognise the responsibility of owning a nation and should let us know asap should they change their mind about building it.

2) I will PM any participant who has a build that has not started by mid-point (just as a friendly double-check).

Thanks for raising this Kev and hopefully everyone's OK with this?

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Belgium SOLD

You sold Belgium. :frantic: You can't do that ! :nono: OMG... what did you do with the Belgian fries. Don't tell me you sold those too !?

Pitty it's sold. I just realized I could have done the new Airfix fabric wing Hurricane with Belgian marking :weep:

If Bobster ,who will be doing a Belgian plane,doesn't build it for some reason,then I would like to fill the space.

Greetings from...a now sold Belgium.

Edited by Erwin

You sold Belgium. :frantic: You can't do that ! :nono: OMG... what did you do with the Belgian fries. Don't tell me you sold those too !?

Pitty it's sold. I just realized I could have done the new Airfix fabric wing Hurricane with Belgian marking :weep:

If Bobster ,who will be doing a Belgian plane,doesn't build it for some reason,then I would like to fill the space.

Greetings from...a now sold Belgium.

Erwin, I did PM you to warn you that I'd drawn up the sales particulars!

Cheers

Cliff

Question.

Is modern Luftwaffe qualify? Nazi Luftwaffe is out, of course, but modern German planes are not not frequently seen at all

Sorry Pin, but it's a 'no' to any unified Germany/West Germany aircraft. The DDR was allowed in for the reasons I gave in post #81.

Cliff

Hopefully anyone who finds themselves unable to partake with their choice of nation can let us know in good time as there seems to be plenty people willing to fill in. There are, however, plenty nations left to choose from should anyone want something exotic and out of the ordinary in their display cabinet.

Can I ask a favour please, can someone tell me which country this aircraft belongs to

It appears to be one of the Cr.32s used by UN SPACEY during the desperate opening stages of the Robotech invasion.

• Like 1

Cheers Dean

Much obliged, that countries already gone, so need to find an Albatross for my Austria-Hungary build.

Cheers Pat

Was that the SMER 1/48 kit of the CR42?

Albatross? As in the WW1 German make?

If anyone needs any inspiration, particularly for some of those countries not yet bagged, then I found this site whilst looking for some images of KAF and UgAF jets. It's mainly modern stuff but might provide someone some inspiration.

Regards Roly.

Edited to add: it's mainly in French but the pictures still work!

• Like 1

Was that the SMER 1/48 kit of the CR42?

Albatross? As in the WW1 German make?

Hi Mop

Yes, it's the ancient Smer kit for the CR32.

Yes I was after an Albatross for my build as I have markings for 3 Austria-Hungary ones.

Cheers Pat

Hi Mop

Yes, it's the ancient Smer kit for the CR32.

Yes I was after an Albatross for my build as I have markings for 3 Austria-Hungary ones.

Cheers Pat

I have that kit. Horrendous :(

Ref the Albatros, I have the following if of any interest:

Revell Albatros D.III (#04328)

Revell Albatros D.III (#04062)

Airfix Albatros DVa (A01078)

and possibly ...

Roden Albratros W.4 (Ro.028)