GB Chat

It's not on the "taken" list specifically, but how about Dubai, namely the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing?

Merged into the UAE Airforce with Adu Dhabi (which I see is taken), but was separate and Independant until 1999

Edited by Mop
  • Like 1

Oh, and another one which I think could qualify and would like to nab if permissible is 'The Air Forces of the National People's Army', which may be more familiarly referred to as the Air Force of East Germany/DDR from 1956 to 1990.

It may be Germany, but not the Germany we are all familiar with being represented :)

• Like 1

Okay Henrik and Cliff,

Here are a couple of group photos of my Latin American collection, so far!

I hope that you like them.

Craig.

Thanks for posting the photos Craig - a nice collection as it stands and destined to get even better by the sound of it :)

Cheers

Cliff

It's not on the "taken" list specifically, but how about Dubai, namely the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing?

Merged into the UAE Airforce with Adu Dhabi (which I see is taken), but was separate and Independant until 1999

Hi Mop,

Can you help me out here please? Did the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing have markings that were different to both Abu Dhabi and the UAE?

I have Googled, but have found no illustrations yet.....

I think it should qualify OK, but I would just like confirmation on the markings please. Thanks!

Oh, and another one which I think could qualify and would like to nab if permissible is 'The Air Forces of the National People's Army', which may be more familiarly referred to as the Air Force of East Germany/DDR from 1956 to 1990.

It may be Germany, but not the Germany we are all familiar with being represented :)

I think East Germany should be OK - I'm viewing it as having a similar relationship to the unified Germany (which is excluded from the GB), as the former Soviet states (included in the GB) have to the USSR (excluded).

Before anyone asks, Cold War West Germany would still be excluded, as it represented the continuity between the pre-Cold War and present day unified Germany. Certainly as far as its air force was concerned, with the continued use of the black cross markings throughout.

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Mop,

Can you help me out here please? Did the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing have markings that were different to both Abu Dhabi and the UAE?

I have Googled, but have found no illustrations yet.....

I think it should qualify OK, but I would just like confirmation on the markings please. Thanks!

The markings of the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing appear identical to the UAE markings. I don't know about the markings on the Abu Dhabi Force prior to being combined with Dubai to form the UAE Force, but as Abu Dhabi is the larger country, I would guess all three services have identical markings?

I don't mind if you want to exclude on that basis :)

I think East Germany should be OK - I'm viewing it as having a similar relationship to the unified Germany (which is excluded from the GB), as the former Soviet states (included in the GB) have to the USSR (excluded).

Before anyone asks, Cold War West Germany would still be excluded, as it represented the continuity between the pre-Cold War and present day unified Germany. Certainly as far as its air force was concerned, with the continued use of the black cross markings throughout.

Cheers

Cliff

On the basis that I can have the DDR , but not Dubai, I'll probably look for some other one as well (have to find one with Camo as don't do grey planes :D )

Thanks,

David.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say when I can across this GB this afternoon, I jumped for joy!! Got to be one of the best ideas for a GB ever.

I spend ages just looking around for unusual and different schemes to inspire my builds and with this GB, I'll be overloaded with ideas for future builds for years :D

The markings of the Dubai Defence Force Air Wing appear identical to the UAE markings. I don't know about the markings on the Abu Dhabi Force prior to being combined with Dubai to form the UAE Force, but as Abu Dhabi is the larger country, I would guess all three services have identical markings?

I don't mind if you want to exclude on that basis :)

On the basis that I can have the DDR , but not Dubai, I'll probably look for some other one as well (have to find one with Camo as don't do grey planes :D )

Thanks,

David.

Hi David

I'll sign you up for the DDR - so welcome to the GB!

From what I saw earlier today, Abu Dhabi seemed to have different markings to those currently used by UAE so their may still be some mileage in Dubai.

I'll look into further over the weekend.

In the meantime if anything else takes your fancy, just let us know.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

OK guys - we are off! :yahoo:

Just three previously reserved nations have not been re-confirmed by now and so are back in the pot. These are:

Belgium SOLD

Ethiopia

Somalia

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Hi Rob

I'm happy for you to take Belgium. It's forthcoming availability had been publicised for almost a month now and you are the only one I can see looking at it! :sleep_1:

Cheers

Cliff

Going to have to check I can sort the markings ok, but if no one else wants it, I'll take Yemen as well please (South Yemen specifically, but I think as North and South united in 1990, both would be seen together as one?

• Like 1

I have to say too that this is one of the best ideas ever for a GB and join in the sentiments of others who have said the same. Whilst it can be said that the nature of it limits some in their choice, it also makes it more interesting by pushing us to look for oddities in our collections of decals and kits to locate something specific. No doubt this sentiment is confirmed with the 50+ topics thus far entered...... let's hope we can all get them across the line.

My Malaysian build will kick off most likely on Monday evening Sydney time. I plan on putting the standard kit and aftermarket pics up a bit later this evening for all to see.

Cliff, great idea, and let's go everyone and make it a great GB for all.

Edited by kpc7676

Going to have to check I can sort the markings ok, but if no one else wants it, I'll take Yemen as well please (South Yemen specifically, but I think as North and South united in 1990, both would be seen together as one?

Hi David,

South Yemen would be fine - I'll sign you up.

I think that the present day Yemen would also qualify as a separate nation (probably grouped with North Yemen, as this was the dominant force that consumed South Yemen in the Civil War). The air force markings also reflect this.

'Ow much didg'ya get for it then?

To keep the tax man happy, I took payment in chocolates (the alternative was sprouts)....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

See Post 60 on page 3, though it may not be completely current- it's at least a good place to start for inspiration.

bob

Thanks Bob

I have had a good idea, as I'm doing Austria-Hungary I am doing a WW1 Albatross in 1/48, as luck would have it it comes with decals and colour schemes for 3 different aircraft and famous pilots.

So if I can find another Albatross in 1/48 we can build the same country together, now to find another kit.....

Cheers Pat

Hi all,

I've been looking at this GB for a while and trying to resist diving in, mainly as the subjects I had planned to build either didn't fit or the airforces had been taken...but then I came across an interesting option...I think I'm right that the Republic of The Congo is not taken right??

Edited by SaintsPhil

Cliff

Daft question: if we are doing builds from a number of nations, would you prefer a separate thread for each nation or are you happy for one thread from each modeller covering multiple builds?

The choice is yours Roland so long as each nation is clearly stated in the title and you put separate posts in the finished gallery. What did you have in mind?

Hi all,

I've been looking at this GB for a while and trying to resist diving in, mainly as the subjects I had planned to build either didn't fit or the airforces had been taken...but then I came across an interesting option...I think I'm right that the Republic of The Congo is not taken right??

Republic of Congo is still free so far as I can see Phil. You got a kit in mind?

Republic of Congo is still free so far as I can see Phil. You got a kit in mind?

I have indeed, I've got the SMER mig-17 in 1/48, which I bought for the rocket rails and pylons to add to the HB kit. I thought about trying to replicate the abandoned Republic of the Congo Mig-17 number 118 as in African Migs Vol, like this:

http://makettinfo.hu/forum/upload/217.128.5_Mig-17F_Congo_118.jpg

• Like 1

I have indeed, I've got the SMER mig-17 in 1/48, which I bought for the rocket rails and pylons to add to the HB kit. I thought about trying to replicate the abandoned Republic of the Congo Mig-17 number 118 as in African Migs Vol, like this:

http://makettinfo.hu/forum/upload/217.128.5_Mig-17F_Congo_118.jpg

That one's had a bit of a hard time! Make for an interesting project.