Best MiG-19 Farmer in 1/72nd Scale

Learstang

What is the best MiG-19 kit in 1/72nd scale? I know of the old Heller and KP kits, and Mastercraft do one. Are there any others? I'm specifically looking for the cannon-armed version, as opposed to the missiles-only version. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. This is an aeroplane that cries out for a new-mould kit. Airfix? Zvezda? Anyone?

Brilliant! That would make sense as they've already released MiG-19's in 1/32nd and 1/48th scale. Now it's time for the gentleman's scale. Then perhaps I should wait a bit. It's not like I don't have a few (200 or so) unbuilt or unfinished kits that I could work on in the meantime. Thank you for the information!

Best Regards,

Jason

The best way is a combination of KP and Bilek . Look here ... http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=89618

So the Bilek kit is different from the KP kit? Thank you for the information, Harvy! In case I can't wait for the Trumpeter release (remember the 1/32nd scale A-6 and how long that took).

Best Regards,

Jason

Brilliant! That would make sense as they've already released MiG-19's in 1/32nd and 1/48th scale. Now it's time for the gentleman's scale. Then perhaps I should wait a bit. It's not like I don't have a few (200 or so) unbuilt or unfinished kits that I could work on in the meantime. Thank you for the information!

Best Regards,

Jason

Exactly and if it's the same standard and price point as their SU-27 kits it'll be worth the wait

It's always baffled me that Trumpeter haven't released a MiG-19/Shenyang F-6 in 1/72nd scale, I know they've threatened to release the radar equipped aircraft for some time but everybdoy knows what we all want is the MiG-19S "Farmer C" version.

Wez

• Like 1

It's always baffled me that Trumpeter haven't released a MiG-19/Shenyang F-6 in 1/72nd scale, I know they've threatened to release the radar equipped aircraft for some time but everybdoy knows what we all want is the MiG-19S "Farmer C" version.

Wez

Indeed, Wez, especially as they have already released it in the other major scales, and the Chinese actually produced the MiG-19 as the F-6, as you indicated. The MiG-19 was a significant aeroplane - one of the first two supersonic fighters, used by many different countries, and it participated in major wars such as the Indo-Pakistani wars and the Vietnam War. Just another example of the relative lack of interest in any Soviet aircraft built before the 1980's, I'm afraid. We don't need another Flanker, we need a Farmer! Rant over (for now).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2

We don't need another Flanker, we need a Farmer! Rant over (for now).

Absolutely correct! That and a decent MiG-17 in 1/72nd too!

Wez

• Like 1

In fact thinking about it, I cannot understand how such truly significant aircraft such as the MiG-17 Fresco C and the MiG-19/Shenyang F-6 Farmer C are so poorly served in 1/72nd yet we can get decent kits of some pretty obscure Luftwaffe aircraft - utter tosh and nonsense!

Wez

• Like 3

In fact thinking about it, I cannot understand how such truly significant aircraft such as the MiG-17 Fresco C and the MiG-19/Shenyang F-6 Farmer C are so poorly served in 1/72nd yet we can get decent kits of some pretty obscure Luftwaffe aircraft - utter tosh and nonsense!

Wez

I agree. It seems that such unimportant German aircraft as the Do 335 have had better plastic coverage than some important Soviet types, such as the La-5. The lone Do 335 has been fully restored by the Smithsonian in the States, whilst their Il-2, which only needs to have its wings reattached and to be painted, sits forlorn next to a tatty, unrestored Widgeon.

Best Regards,

Jason

I have the Bilek and KP kits and I like the looks of the Bilek MiG-19S better than the older KP kit. I really wanted the Bilek F-6 kit but I'll try to bash a PakistaniF-6 out of the two with a Pavla cockpit and some other extra bits. I'll also try to bash a Q-5 Fantan (another kit we could use!) out of the KP MiG-19 rear fuselage and Revel (Kangnam?) Yak-38 forward fuselage.

While a better kit, the Bilek model has issues with fit and cockpit detail but as everyone here says, a new MiG-19/F-6 kit would definitely be an improvement.

Cheers,

WARDOG

Thank you, WARDOG! If I don't want to wait for Trumpeter, I may go with the Bilek kit with the Pavla cockpit. So I would need the KP kit also to do a Pakistani F-6, because that's the actual version I want to do.

Best Regards,

Jason

I did the Bilek MiG19S for a review in Scale Aviation Modeller many moons ago, does have some fit problems but nothing too hard to fix and the Pavla pit fits with a little sanding down.

Paul Harrison

edit:-The Pavla pit I used was designed for the KP kit.

Edited by GreenDragon

Thank you, Paul! I will use the Pavla set for the cockpit. I'm used to East European kits and/or short-run kits, so I'm not too concerned with fit problems as long as the kit is reasonably accurate.

Best Regards,

Jason

• 3 months later...

While a better kit, the Bilek model has issues with fit and cockpit detail but as everyone here says, a new MiG-19/F-6 kit would definitely be an improvement.

Cheers,

WARDOG

What issues does the KP kit have ? (picked one up for £3, so guessing price isn't one of them !)