Airfix 2016

Wez

One disappointment from me. No british Phantoms.

This year we made a lot of noise about Beaufighters and Shackletons and we got 'em both! To be honest I never dreamed that the Shack would happen...

So now we all need to start making noise about Brit Phantoms and Buccaneers. :bounce:

• Like 2

Airfix will not waste the £100,000 it would cost to mould a British Phantom when the Fujimi ones are still available.

Fujimi Phantoms do not make a penny for Airfix. They are also quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. Airfix's core demographic are most unlikely to buy them. Even though I have half a dozen Fujimi Tombs in The Stash, I would still buy Airfix ones...

Be still my beating heart!!!! I was chuffed with the new Defiant and now Airfix go and throw a Beaufighter, a Whitley (A WHITLEY!!!!!! :frantic: ) and a Wildcat at me! My wallet is having a major panic attack, my credit card has gone into hiding and SWMBO is giving me THAT look :nono: .

One question though, I am looking at the Wildcat wondering if it can be easily turned into a Martlet and consulting the well recommended reference is leaving more confused than normal:

3 guns per wing (F4F-4A Martlet II or F4F-4B Martlet IV),

stepped prop hub (FM-1 Martlet V or FM-2 Martlet VI),

cuffed props (F4F-4A Martlet II or F4F-3/F4F-3A Martlet III or FM-1 Martlet V),

carb scoop (Martlet I, F4F-3/F4F-3A Martlet III or FM-1 Martlet V), and

4 cowl flaps per side (FM-1 Martlet V)

Anyone out there able to help?

Back to the good news though; A WHITLEY!!!!!! Last one of these I made was made from scraps of off-cut white pine in my Grandpa's garage nailed together and camouflaged with Crayola's finest wax crayons :clif: !

Hope everybody here has a brilliant Christmas, that Santa is extra nice to you and and your families and that 2015 brings you all the models you want in the scales you like!

DC

Hi all

There are some impressive promised kits for next year ...the shack ...is interesting ...and will ad to my list of builds .for 2016 .....£40 ...maybe a bit pricey ....but who know just how good that kit will be ..

Other than that there is really nothing else of interest to me'....but hay ....that's life ...and there are other choices ....

But will airfix ..pop other kits out thru the year that are not in the list given today ...if i remember right ..airfix amended the catalogue several times in the first few days of its announcement last year ...will they do it again i wonder . .?

• Like 1

Although(as a WW2 aicraft modeller) I am chuffed to bits with the new catalogue,especially the new hurri(long overdue in my opinion) I do hope Airfix(Hornby) dont fixate on one genre of models I always liked the fact that there is a large choice of topics to model it would be a shame to lose that variety.

I made a Frog ( I think) Whitley in the mid 70's. I was an Oxfordshire village with one shop/Post Office combo,I wanted to make a model,any model,its all they had.Not a favorite 'plane by any stretch.

But will airfix ..pop other kits out thru the year that are not in the list given today ...if i remember right ..airfix amended the catalogue several times in the first few days of its announcement last year ...will they do it again i wonder . .?

There is still room for that Phantom and Buccaneer...!

This year we made a lot of noise about Beaufighters and Shackletons and we got 'em both! To be honest I never dreamed that the Shack would happen...

Now we have to do our bit and put our hand in our pockets.

I don't know how many Sea kings I will have but it will be in double figures add to that the beaufighters and a wildcat or two add the RAF set and I can see me having to do a bit of overtime.

Rodders

• Like 1

Another happy camper here. Will be very interested to see the breakdown of the Beau and anything that indicates we'll get a family.

Actually quite interested by a lot of what's been announced. At least now with Airfix we have a clear idea, in general quality terms at least, of what well get and can be pretty confident.

Stu

Airfix will not waste the £100,000 it would cost to mould a British Phantom when the Fujimi ones are still available.

Fortunately the ethos at the company has changed these days.

I asked one of the designers why they were bringing out a Lancaster when Hasegawa and Revell had brought out recent kits of the type, his reply was simple...

"Ours will be better",

He went on to explain that it didn't matter if company X or Y had a kit out of a certain subject, if they thought they could do better and it fitted in with their range, they would do it.

We've seen this with the Lancaster, C-47 and Spitfire Vb so why not a 1/72nd UK Phantom?

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

We've seen this with the Lancaster, C-47 and Spitfire Vn so why not a 1/72nd UK Phantom?

And now the Whitley. Even though Fly may not be 'mainstream', I'd have thought that a Whitley was such a niche subject that it would suit the majority of the target market. I won't be getting rid of mine to get an Airfix one...but I may get an Airfix Coastal machine to keep it company!! :whistle::D

Keith

I can see I'm a bit late to this party, but, for me, what a cracking list! I was very happy with the three kits announced at Telford, but things have got better :) I can see that Airfix are going to get a lot of my money next year, looks like I'll have to put off retirement after all.

Best news for me is the Whitley, always had a sneaking liking for that aircraft, ugly brute though it was.

Shackleton, oh yes, I'll definitely get one of these (two if it was a bit cheaper)

Heinkel lll yes, Defiant, yes, Beaufighter, definitely yes, probably more than one.

New took 1/48 Spitfire and Hurricane, yes, now we know why the Hurris were so cheap in the Black Friday Sale.

I'll probably buy the Kate and the Wildcat too.

A good year!

• Like 1

Well most of what has been announced has gone down a treat with most folks(myself included) let,s hope Revell give us some great stuff next year

I would like to see some new 32 scale kits especially based on their Spitfire.

Of please not! Getting their Mk.II correct will be quite a challenge, especially for your purse!

HAPPY AS A SAND BOY! :winkgrin:

Skint as a church mouse come a years time.

MUST haves

Defiant,

Dornier (already there with that one) Cheers Santa

Whitley

Beaufighter

Wild Cat

Heinkel

Spitfire Mk1 and the Hurricane.

Obviously the sumptuous gawjuss Shackleton

Dont tell the wife :ninja:

One question though, I am looking at the Wildcat wondering if it can be easily turned into a Martlet and consulting the well recommended reference is leaving more confused than normal:

3 guns per wing (F4F-4A Martlet II or F4F-4B Martlet IV),

stepped prop hub (FM-1 Martlet V or FM-2 Martlet VI),

cuffed props (F4F-4A Martlet II or F4F-3/F4F-3A Martlet III or FM-1 Martlet V),

carb scoop (Martlet I, F4F-3/F4F-3A Martlet III or FM-1 Martlet V), and

4 cowl flaps per side (FM-1 Martlet V)

Anyone out there able to help?

This one is a true USN F4F-4.

IIRC the possibilities to turn it into a Martlet are:

- Mk. V - delete the outboard gun, leaving just 4 m.g.'s

- Mk. II - delete rectangular air scoops for the two-stage supercharger from within the engine cowling; delete carburettor air scoop from cowling top; add spinner on the Curtiss propeller. Earlier machines also had an overwing elbow-shaped pitot -- like the Avenger's, but canted inboard;

- Mk. IV - major work -- you need to replace the engine and propeller with a Wright R-1820 Cyclone and Hamilton Standard propeller

- Mk. III - this version had non-folding wings -- delete rectangular air scoops for the two-stage supercharger from within the engine cowling; delete outboard gun to leave just 4 m.g.'s and rescribe wing to non-folding panel layout. On aircraft serials A.M.954 to A.M.963 also sand off teardrop bulge in front of wing leading edge and add spinner on the Curtiss propeller.

HTH

Claudio

Edited by ClaudioN
  • Like 2