Canberra B.2/8 mod, WV787

With my 1/72 scale U.10 build on the long finger, I've moved on to my next project. A very interesting Canberra WV787 built as a B.2 but later modified to an approximation of B(I)8 standard. She was used for some interesting trials from aircraft icing to chemical and biological weapons delivery.

canberrab18wv787_zps880db8c4.jpg

John

• Like 3

Hi John,

sad story what happened to your 1/72 Canberra, but I´m sure you will save it once the first disappointment is over. Sanding and perhaps re-scribing some of the panellines will surely turn it into a nice model. Good luck with this one!

Cheers,

Mario

Looking forward to it..

Thanks Haggis9444, me too.

Hi John,

sad story what happened to your 1/72 Canberra, but I´m sure you will save it once the first disappointment is over. Sanding and perhaps re-scribing some of the panellines will surely turn it into a nice model. Good luck with this one!

Cheers,

Mario

It was a bit disappointing Mario, but I will return to it later, but I'm looking forward to this one, I've been wanting to build her for a long time.

John

John..

oh this is gonna be so good to see and watch ..clean start . :thumbsup:

I am intrigued by its usage for delivering biological and chemical weaponary....When was that.. :yikes:

I like things that relate to ones builds... that';s all. :coolio:

thank you for sharing your build.

HOUSTON

• Like 1

John..

oh this is gonna be so good to see and watch ..clean start . :thumbsup:

I am intrigued by its usage for delivering biological and chemical weaponary....When was that.. :yikes:

I like things that relate to ones builds... that';s all. :coolio:

thank you for sharing your build.

HOUSTON

Houston, as you would imagine the details of the chemical and biological warfare trials are not well publicised or indeed well documented in the public domain. All I know is she was working in conjunction with the weapons research establishment at Porton Down and spraying over Salisbury Plain, the work didn't last long as the Uk withdrew from developing all such weapons not long after the trials started, WV787 continued her work as an icing and smoke test rig at RAE Boscombe Down. There is also a story that she was involved in an ice weapon that would stop on aircraft engines by producing and ice cloud of just the right size to stop the engine fan, I guess it would work in a similar fashion to the dust clouds from Volcano's?

I'm on board John :popcorn:

Good to have you here Gary, I hope it works out OK!

John

• Like 1

John,

Thank you for the information.

It is always AMAZING to read that an aircraft has had an interesting lifestyle and any controversy

Behind it.

In seeing builds here , most of us only imagine it's use in combat, battles, transportation etc but never Something That would raise the eyebrows.

So thanks for that bit of interesting information.makes for an interesting thread

Good luck and will be back to see more.

:thumbsup:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

More corrections and additions, this time the fuselage, as I said at the start of the build WV787 was a hybrid B.2/B(I)8. The fuselage is pure B.2 with just a B.8 nose grafted on, so luckily Airfix's lack of attention to detail was a blessing as the missing strengthening plates that should be on the B(I)8 do not need removing. I still had to delete and add panel lines that Airfix got wrong but nothing too bad.

IMG_0373_zpsc447ea50.jpg

Now the nose, I was expecting to add and delete some panel lines but what I wasn't expecting was the fact the equipment hatch is depicted too low down the fuselage! So more work. The extra bits were not too many, so that's good.

IMG_0374_zpsf7c545ea.jpg

John

• Like 1

The pit is now finished and ready to fit, I've not added anything other than the work behind the seat head box and some blue straps on the Nav's crash seat as next to nothing will be seen and a bit of dry brushing with medium sea grey to bring out the detail and add a bit of contrast.

IMG_0403_zpscb927fdf.jpg.

John

• Like 1