1:12 Airfix (MPC) Christie Steam Fire Engine

After the stress and rush of building things to deadlines for SMW, GBs and for a club competition, I decided to build something I WANTED to build and something different from WW1 planes, tanks and whatnot so to this end I chose this rather large box from the stash:

DSC_2048.JPG

I picked up this kit at the Abingdon show a couple of years ago and its been sitting in the stash ever since. Its a very old kit - Airifix released it in the 80's but it was based ona kit originally released by MPC in the late 60s and it shows! The parts fit was pretty bad, lots of flash, sink marks and mould lines.

The decals were terrible and some had to be left off as they were so bad. The original chrome and gold sprues were stripped of paint and individual pieces were sprayed with Alcad Brass, Copper, Chrome and Steel colours. 6 weeks total build. 18" (45cm) long, 8" (20cm) wide.

DSC_2168.JPG

DSC_2169.JPG

DSC_2170.JPG

DSC_2171.JPG

DSC_2173.JPG

DSC_2174.JPG

DSC_2175.JPG

DSC_2176.JPG

DSC_2177.JPG

DSC_2178.JPG

DSC_2179.JPG

Very pleased with the final outcome, its not perfect, but I'm happy :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 7

That's not something you see every day - in fact I don't think I've ever seen one before!

Lovely job on such an old kit, it's turned out very nicely. I really like the paintwork & the all the metal finishes look particularly good!

Great work all round, cracking model!

keith

• Like 1

Like Keith I've never seen or heard of this kit. From how you describe the actual kit it seems like you have done the sow's ear/silk purse trick on this one! That looks superb. Well done.

• Like 1

A work of art,!!

• Like 1

Lovely build and I know what you mean by wanting to do something completely different every once in a while. :goodjob:

Andrew

• Like 1

I have to agree with everyone else . A superb job , completely transformed by your skilled use of various metal tones . The finished product looks incredibly realistic , unlike the model on the box top which looks dreadful

• Like 1