1/48 - Saab J-29 Tunnan family by Hobby Boss - J-29F & B released

Homebee

After the recently Pilot Replicas announced kit http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972373-148-saab-j-29-by-pilot-replicas/?hl=tunnan#entry1820293
Hobby Boss is also to release a new tool 1/48th Saab J-29 family in 2015/2016
- ref. 81745 - Saab J-29F Tunnan
- ref. 81746 - Saab J-29B Tunnan
Source: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972796-hobbyboss-148-for-2015/?p=1828290

J-29_zps51bee9ac.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No it doesn't, because it's by Hobby BooBoo, which has a TERRIBLE track record IMHO.

That being said, I MAY get one if the price is right, just to make an S-29C .

Larry

it is very likely that detail is finer and fit is better!

it definitely will not be a short run kit!

general shapes will hardly be worse, maybe different!

so there is hop!

Maybe our Swedish collegues can shed more light on Trumpeter/HB visit to Sweden last year in January, seems they made some deals ( research wise )regarding host of Swedish subjects to be made in upcoming years. Although I am sceptical, taking before mentioned into account maybe we will get accurate kits ( they proved that with their FAA kits).

• 3 months later...

Hobby boss 1/48 AN-2 colt kit is awesome. There is hope. ;)

It's one of their better ones. The exaggerated fabric texture needs removed/lessened and the starboard console in the cockpit removed but other than that it's not bad.

Andy

Looks like they have taken the CAD image of the J 29A/B boxing and presented it as a J 29F.
The dimension looks a bit weird, but that could just be the angle of the image. Nice to see some hardware under the wings.

I'm not that optimistic about this being very much more correct in shape than the AZ monstrosity, but I hope they can prove me wrong.

My hope for a descent SAAB J 29 lays with the Pilot Replicas announced kit.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Boxart: The wing seems to be correct here.

Some companies base their box arts on the CAD model. Some others don't. HB belongs to the later I believe. I remember reading that the DH Hornet box art was more accurate than the kit itself.

• Like 3

Boxart: The wing seems to be correct here. However, I have higher expectations on the Pilot Replicas release than on this one.

81745_hob.jpg

hmm a rare Austrian recce version...

:) lets wait and see!

Looks like they have taken the CAD image of the J 29A/B boxing and presented it as a J 29F.

The dimension looks a bit weird, but that could just be the angle of the image. Nice to see some hardware under the wings.

I'm not that optimistic about this being very much more correct in shape than the AZ monstrosity, but I hope they can prove me wrong.

My hope for a descent SAAB J 29 lays with the Pilot Replicas announced kit.

hello there! I painted this box art and i used real images of the aircraft so the shape is correct and not weird! Have a look in J-29 images in that particlular angle and you'll see what i mean! Now as for the understores, there are not any, just the pylons!! Now...if the kit is going to be correct or not, you can ask the Hobby Boss people about that! Let us hope it will be! I am only resposible for the box art!!

Have a nice day!!

hmm a rare Austrian recce version...

:) lets wait and see!

Tha's right exdraken it is the rare Austrian recce configuration!! All the best!

• Like 1

Boxart: The wing seems to be correct here. However, I have higher expectations on the Pilot Replicas release than on this one.

81745_hob.jpg

If it's supposed to be a J-29F, where's the wing LE dog-tooth ? Left a comment on the Trumpeter&HobbyBoss Fan Club FB page.

You are right Laurent! The F version had the dog tooth wing! So the image used by Hobby Boss is wrong! Strait wing had the early A/B versions!!!! Have a nice day!!!

This painting was done with Acrylics on board and not PC programs! I used real aircraft good photos to get the dimentions so they are correct! I also used, as it is right with the F version, the dog tooth wing and the rare Austrian Recce configuration!! I hope the kit to be as good a it can be to please Modellers worldwide!! Hobby Boss engineers are responsible for that!!

All the best Kostas Kavvathias

• Like 1

In your paint, the J (red) should be closer to the tail rudder and the fuselage 2 (black) should be a bit relocated. :coolio:

But is this of importance? I don't think so.

-----------------------------------------

J-29B c/n 29582

- 18/09/1954 - Delivered to the Swedish AF

- 27/09/1954 - Taken on charge

- xx/09/1954 - F10 Wing as red T

- xx/03/1956-04/05/56 - Upgraded to J-29E/F

- 01/03/1957 - F15 Wing as yellow N

- 01/10/1960 - F4 Wing as blue L

- 31/08/1962 - Sold to the Austrian AF

- xx/08/1962 - 2. Staffel/Jabogeschwader, at Graz-Thalerhof AB as red J

- xx/07/1972 - Withdrawn from use

- Currently preserved at Brumowski AB?

Source: http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/Tunnan.html

A total of ten Austrian AF Tunnan flew once upon a time with the recce pack: 29588/D (r ), 29617/F (r ), 29664/G (r ), 29540/H (r ), 29466/I (r ), 29582/J (r ), 29572/K (r ), 29554/M (r ), 29524/N (r ) & 29622/O (r ).

redJ_zpswm7eiwll.jpeg

Source: BERNS (L.), Flygande Tunnan - en antologi, Allt om Hobby AB, 1996, p.257. ISBN 91-85496-79-0

I confess I'm rather waiting the Pilot Replicas kit! http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972373-148-saab-j-29-by-pilot-replicas/

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

This painting was done with Acrylics on board and not PC programs! I used real aircraft good photos to get the dimentions so they are correct! I also used, as it is right with the F version, the dog tooth wing and the rare Austrian Recce configuration!! I hope the kit to be as good a it can be to please Modellers worldwide!! Hobby Boss engineers are responsible for that!!

All the best Kostas Kavvathias

Hi Kostas.

I think your boxart is very good looking and quite striking. And as you say looks accurate for what it's depicting. What kind of plastic Hobby Boss decides to put in the box is of another matter all together. If it's related with the boxart at all is obviously all their doing.

One question dough, does HB tell you what they want on the boxart regarding versions and markings? One sure hope that they ask for a boxart that is related to the model and markings that is supplied.

/Johan

Hi Kostas.

I think your boxart is very good looking and quite striking. And as you say looks accurate for what it's depicting. What kind of plastic Hobby Boss decides to put in the box is of another matter all together. If it's related with the boxart at all is obviously all their doing.

One question dough, does HB tell you what they want on the boxart regarding versions and markings? One sure hope that they ask for a boxart that is related to the model and markings that is supplied.

/Johan

Hello there Flarpen!! Thank you for the comments! Yes, Hobby Boss sends me some information on the subject they want me to work, and of course they send me the markings that they want to include in the kit! After that i do my own search throught my books and webb sites, plus a few good friends that help me out woth their very good knoleages! Then i work on the lay out image! They let me propose ideas and they pick the one they like most!Now, some times new information comes along long time after i had finished the box art, (it happend a few times) and maybe some of my work seems wrong! Or maybe it is if the new data are so clear! No one is perfect!!! I have painted box art images 4 years ago and they have not been released as yet!! I really like Swedish Airplanes and i do have a friend in Sweden who provides me with clues!! I'll be glad to answer anything else you want!! All the best!!

• 4 weeks later...

From this angle it looks more like a J 29E, with a different, more shallow nozzle, than a J 29F. I hope that I am wrong. Still, it looks far better than AZ Models so-called J 29 Tunnan (however, I doubt that the AZ designer ever have seen a picture of a Tunnan), but Pilot Replica's forthcoming release will surely be even better, and the ultimate 1/48 Tunnan.

Compare this picture of a J 29F with the one below, a S 29C, that has the same nozzle as the J 29E. The shape of the belly is quite different, F is fatter.

118-29537-F16Uppsala-8jun1968LEL.jpg

216S29CF11-29-SAAB66-334-700x525px.jpg

And here is a picture of AZ Models "Tunnan". The builder has done a good job, but the model is perhaps the worst one released in the past twenty years. At least, HobbyBoss one looks like a Tunnan.

01.jpg

But this is the one we are waiting for: Pilot Replicas. This is how a Tunnan should be:

J29-2-600x479.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

I totally agree with you Björn, from the looks of it the pilot replicas Tunnan is the one and only Tunnan when it's released.

But you also have the Neomega resin kit which I think comes in a strong second place. Although not an easy kit to put together it sure looks like a tunnan.

Here's mine I did a few years ago.

frdig4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Released: Saab J-29F Tunnan - ref. 81745.
So in about two months in our Hobbyshops. For my part I'm waiting the Pilot Replicas Tunnan!
Source: http://www.hobbyboss.com/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=1142&l=en
And no recce nose despite what was shown in the original box art!

81745_hob1_zpsfu7osocx.jpg

5618b763d3dfc.jpgredJ_zpswm7eiwll.jpeg

5618b7652016e.jpg

5618b7792b541.jpg

5618b766a5001.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1