Urban myth - coca cola will remove chrome plating?

Graeme

Even a crayon is dangerous to a moron... sensible people could keep Semtex in their house without major issues (as long as it doesn't age badly & become unstable). :shrug:

Bleach & tonic anyone? :rolleyes:

• Like 5

While on the subject, what happened to Vim, harpic, and all those other wonderful cleaning products ,my mums cupboard was full of them, never did me any harm,. Mind you I seem to have had more sense when I was a kid.

Nothing cleans my tiled kitchen floor like bleach, and its as cheap as chips

As you say its nasty stuff, and the issue is that most people don't use the rubber gloves or anything else that they should to protect themselves...plus, how many people with young kids, have bleach in the cupboard under the sink, just where an inquisitive toddler can get at it?

Very few if any cleaning companies now use bleach, as there are other products, which are not bleach-based, which do the job just as well

So it's only dangerous if you don't use it correctly or let kids drink it? Sounds like a lot of things that are useful.

Simple solution is to use the product correctly and keep it away from kids.

• Like 1

So it's only dangerous if you don't use it correctly or let kids drink it? Sounds like a lot of things that are useful.

Simple solution is to use the product correctly and keep it away from kids.

No, you don't understand the hierarchy of control measures (H&S technical term) - but if there's no bleach in the house, NO-ONE can harm themselves with it.

That's the simple solution.

No, you don't understand the hierarchy of control measures (H&S technical term) - but if there's no bleach in the house, NO-ONE can harm themselves with it.

That's the simple solution.

There must be 101 products in any household which could cause toddlers harm, and after following this thread I would put coca cola amongst them

• Like 1

Ah yes that totally logical H&S hierarchy of risk mitigation that entirely misses the point and gives us the H&S madness we live in today :)

1) If there is no risk there will be no injuries

Thanks!

• Like 2

Ah yes that totally logical H&S hierarchy of risk mitigation that entirely misses the point and gives us the H&S madness we live in today :)

1) If there is no risk there will be no injuries

Thanks!

Your sarcasm is, in this case, entirely wasted - obviously you are happy to have people suffer preventable accidents.

Edited by Graeme

Changeing the subject a bit and going back to the original subject , I have now had the chrome parts for my project immersed in a sealed jam jar of bleach for now 48hrs and it has still only half shifted it, so I am going to try the coke trick tonight, i have only one can in the house and that is zero, I am not quite sure, if this will affect its performance.

I just only hope that this works,have already tried the ammonia with no affect and if this doesnt I will have wasted a perfectly good drink and will have to resort to a sand blaster.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Stuck

Stuck; try any household cleaner which contains caustic soda [most oven cleaners do, at about 5%]

Remember people, the 'chrome' on plastic parts is actually aluminium. Anything which dissolves aluminium will take it off the plastic.

• Like 1

Changeing the subject a bit and going back to the original subject , I have now had the chrome parts for my project immersed in a sealed jam jar of bleach for now 48hrs and it has still only half shifted it, so I am going to try the coke trick tonight, i have only one can in the house and that is zero, I am not quite sure, if this will affect its performance.

I just only hope that this works,have already tried the ammonia with no affect and if this doesnt I will have wasted a perfectly good drink and will have to resort to a sand blaster.

Just put the parts totally immersed in the Coke Zero and leave them there for 2 days. At the end of that time, you will find the bare plastic exposed, no "chrome" plating and no damage to the plastic. It worked perfectly well for me when I had to remove similar plating on a Revell sprue. I don't think there will be any difference in the effect of regular Coke versus Coke Zero. Let me know how it works for you.

• Like 1

in the end I used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner - it removed the chrome in about 10 minutes.

G

• Like 1

The kit is made by ICM, perhaps they chrome things differently in the Ukraine.

I will be going to the supermarket tomorrow but I have not seen anything on the shelf that vaguely translates to Mr Muscle here in France, and I have to be careful what I

get because some of these French cleaners can be a bit powerful and aggressive :bouncy:

Might just stick it out with the bleach , its coming off very slowly.

By the time i have shifted this chrome my kitchen will be looking like a chemistry lab

• Like 2

The main ingredient of Mr Muscle oven cleaner is Sodium Hydroxide, aka caustic soda, so anything with that in should do the trick much better than bleach.

Thankyou for that Kalliste, All the oven cleaners here seem to be in aerosols, but I found some cleaner for glass on stoves which seemed to contain that chemical.

Well after a week and Christmas studying a jam jug full of parts as if it was a preserved rat , the chrome has now finally dissapeared. But I now have more problems,,

While cleaning the parts I noticed on very close inspection there is a gossamer thin layer of gloss left, which is breaking away in some places, and the solution doesnt seem to want to shift this. I was already to start priming but I fear Alclads are just going to play havoc with this until the tiniest speck is cleaned off.

So I am just about at my wits end with this,please has any of you any ideas.

Haven't had to do it for a long time so I can't comment on the qualities of "new" Coke vs. "old" Coke, but I remember a set of tires that were well and truly stuck on their rims. Put wheel flat on the ground, poured Coke along the tire/rim interface, went to lunch and upon return the tire separated nicely. Understand it is also good for removing rust spots from chrome automobile parts when used as a solvent while rubbing the part with crumpled aluminum foil. Tried it once and it worked well although I don't know if it was the foil or the Coke that was the active agent. Control measures or not, I still drink a ton of the stuff, Pepsi too.

• Like 1

I had that with some of my gold pieces. best thing to do is let it all dry out and go crispy, then take a dry stiff brush like a toothbrush and brush the flakey stuff off, on mine it came off quite easily, was just a bit of a faff!

• 3 weeks later...