Urban myth - coca cola will remove chrome plating?

Graeme

I read somewhere that leaving chrome-plated plastic in coca cola overnight will remove the plating but not damage the plastic...without subcontracting this out to Mythbusters, does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone here ever done it?

I want to do the wheels of my Tamiya GT-R in something other than chrome, is why I'm asking...

I've witnessed cola being used in a hurried attempt to try and get oil off a clutch on two separate occasions on rallies.

If it's capable of that why would we want to drink it?

• Like 2

I've witnessed cola being used in a hurried attempt to try and get oil off a clutch on two separate occasions on rallies.

If it's capable of that why would we want to drink it?

I would advise you not to pursue this line of thinking too far, lest you end up unable to consume alcohol.

• Like 2

I think Mythbusters ought to do a show on modeling myths, rather than all those boring episodes where all they do is blow up stuff......

:winkgrin:

Wotabout an episode where they blow up Hobbyboss kits?

Trevor

Used Mr Muscle and it worked fine - only took a couple of minutes

But while digging around in the cupboard under the sink I found a bottle of bleach hidden away...naughty wife...as I work in e'f'n'safety, she knows we shouldn't have any bleach in the house.

(Feel free to have a pop at that as I'm sure you will :doh: )

Coca cola used to contain, iirc, phosphoric acid. I don't drink the stuff so I cannot check if it still does. People used it for cleaning all sorts with it including jewelery.

On a similar subject, I believe that Fairy Powerspray has been re-formulated (read - cheapened), and now no-longer removes acrylic paint. :shocked: I'm reliably informed by 'er indoors that it's also not much use at getting stubborn grease off casserole dishes anymore either. Lots of negative buzz on t'internet about it, apparently. Another product ruined by greed :shrug:

If you mix it with ammonia, you're likely to gas yourself badly, and possibly fatally... so don't! You have been warned. :frantic:

Dont know if Mike was talking about just coke there, but its bleach as well. I know this from bitter experience trying to clean a tiled floor a few years ago, it was like being hit in the face by a cannon, very lucky to be here now, just on inhalers for the rest of my life.

On my last kit I put the parts in ammonia and it had shifted all the chrome in 5 minutes, on the present one i am working on, I have tried ammonia and it will not touch the chrome, so I have had the parts in bleach over night and its only just starting to shift it

Whats the problem with bleach in the house? yes I know its nasty stuff, but what is it that you disapprove of?

Not having a go or anything, just genuinely interested.

As you say its nasty stuff, and the issue is that most people don't use the rubber gloves or anything else that they should to protect themselves...plus, how many people with young kids, have bleach in the cupboard under the sink, just where an inquisitive toddler can get at it?

Very few if any cleaning companies now use bleach, as there are other products, which are not bleach-based, which do the job just as well