That large Sharkmouthed Typhoon from Airfix (update 2016-08-22, Gun bay repainted, Build complet, RFI next!)

very nice paintwork there Christer, I use the Vallejo range myself and get on really well with them all apart from yellow in any brand lol. looking forward to the big finish

Well done with the paint, great work and skill.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the major painting seems to be done. What a relief.

It didn't turn out that bad either.
P1040339_zpskasgmzrj.jpg

P1040342_zpsohwfxsbo.jpg

P1040344_zpsv0adavfd.jpg

P1040346_zpswmzpmnyr.jpg

P1040347_zpshfd33nrl.jpg

P1040352_zpsce32dxrn.jpg

The keen eyed notices that I haven't removed all masking yet, the reason being that I have some painting to to in those areas. The fuselage band is to be covered in something that looks likes its done in the field, and the wing walkways still needs to be filled in and so on.

High time to order some masks too, since I plan to paint all markings.The prospect of painting them is a little scary, but what could possibly go wrong?

//Christer

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 7

I am rather excited about seeing the paint go on, really does bring it together! Looks very nice, the finish is great with the squiggles underneath and the leading edge chipping looks like real chipping.

Rob

What an amazing epic build this is, I will have to keep this one for reference when I attempt to build mine, even the squiggles are neat.

Cheers

Dennis

Very nice Christer the paint looks good as does the chipping its starting to look like a nice Tiffie !

Guy

Thank you for all your kind words! It really encourages me to finish the beast.

I haven't removed any maskol from the fuselage yet, so there's still a lot of chipping to bring forth.

Also, ordering some Miracle Masks for all roundels, fin flash and code letters now.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your kind words! It really encourages me to finish the beast.

I haven't removed any maskol from the fuselage yet, so there's still a lot of chipping to bring forth.

Also, ordering some Miracle Masks for all roundels, fin flash and code letters now.

Masking your own markings as well! Your putting your all into this one

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update, but still no markings...Those are still a little scary.

I've focused on a few areas that needed a little different paintjob.

First of all, there is a colour profile in the Typhoon Supplement from Airfir Model World Magazine showing the Sharkmouth Tiffy in January -45 which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Here, they've just painted over the Sky tail band with fresh paint, and I did the same using a few drops of black into the normal colours.
P1040357_zpsqnff9eux.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the wing walkways. I could use the decal, but the Aviaology sheet for this individual states that the walkways were very worn, so I thought I could have a go at painting them instead. Remember that I've painted everything aluminium first, and added lots of Maskol. Before I did the black lines I added some more, just to get the underlying cammo paints to show through. This is the result.
13138917_10204327786833491_2978932630820
P1040356_zpsv2aitsom.jpg

P1040355_zpsckqkquzr.jpg
The effect work as I had hoped, even though it looks a little bit too regular and blobby right now.

Further weathering might help, I hope.

Then I redid the welloe leading edge ID-markings
P1040353_zpsokfflzsy.jpg
Same principle here as for the walkways but here it looks a lot better I think. Compare to my old try some months back
535192_10204024027439696_216765750414585
Now its worn down to both Dark green / Sea grey and metal.

Unfortunately, I hadn't cleaned the right wing thoroughly from all vaseline, so when I removed the masking, some paint lifted with it.
P1040358_zps9efox0ii.jpg
Oh well, repaints are fun too I guess.

Soon time for a clearcoat I hope!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It was high time to start painting all markings from Miracle Masks.

I've dreaded this, since I've NEVER used vinyl masks before

The instructions supplied with them were a great help though!

I decided to start small, with something easy, namely the reg. number MP197 (or whatever it's called)
It took a while to get the hang of it, but just one color sure simplified things a lot!

13321966_10204437286890924_3358981869467

13310443_10204437287050928_3046966138423
It worked!

No bleeding paint either! :yahoo:
After that I tackled the Fin flash too.
P1040496_zps5ot8zmtw.jpg
P1040502_zpsbhi6ybif.jpg

For the RAF colors I used Tamiya mixes that I found here on BM.

Blue 95% XF-8 Blue and 5% black (might be a bit more)
Dull red is 85% XF-7 Red and 15% XF-68 Nato Brown

To my eyes that looks ok.

The roundels on top of the wings took a long time to fit.
P1040497_zpshyho49fb.jpg
The open gun bay covers were not helpful at all to get the masks in their proper location.

Many hours later and I could start on the fuselage roundels and also the underwing ones.
P1040500_zpscucto05p.jpg
P1040505_zpsakomgjuz.jpg

Practice makes perfect and this time it didn't take that long time to fit the masks. Off course, smooth surfaces helps a lot!

After what felt like ages i could finally remove all tape and masks, and be rewarded with this:
P1040507_zpslymlyltc.jpg
P1040508_zpsmp8xago9.jpg
P1040509_zpswduyyaet.jpg
P1040511_zpsa6yuzdcm.jpg

Yep, I'm mighty pleased with result!

Whoever suggested that I should paint all markings, thank you!

And also a big thumbs up for Miracle Masks! Time-consuming but worth every minute in the end.

• Like 10

Thanks Val & Bodmin!

To spray these markings, it took me closer to 15 hours I think. When everything was removed there was a sizeable ball of masks and Tamiya tape...

Edited by Christer A

Great work those markings have come out good, well worth the time and effort.

Guy

Edited by F4u

Thanks Guy!

For a quite long time I've had a sinking feeling regarding the SAC white metal legs. It seems that they started to bend more and more, and whenever I tried to bend them back I felt like I was pushing them over their (low) fatigue limit (technical term).

I actually started to contemplate to heat them up just a tad, so that I could normalize the worst areas. That action had probably led to disaster!

Finally, I resorted to securing them in place with lots of CA and also the interconnecting strut.

That fortunately did the trick!

Whew!
P1040515_zpse8o6crfx.jpg
When the gear cover is attached to the outer part of the leg, it will become even stronger.

Then off course, it all needs to be weathered, but you noticed that already...

With the landing gear more or less in place, my attention then shifted to the wheels. Brassin ones from Eduard to be exact, but the pouring lug is awfully big. So big infact, that my razor saw couldn't cut through it.

The solution was found among the more brutal tools at my disposal. Hacksaw FTW!P1040512_zpsy27tczbc.jpg

That made a quick job of it!

After that, just paint and glue the together and we end up with this:P1040516_zpsqrhtcde0.jpg
Now, how did I go about when weathering the old wheel?

Something to ponder on for a while.

One thing is for sure though. Mud is needed!

• Like 5

Those wheels look good but like you say need a bit of weathering.

Guy

Thanks Guy. Will this do?
P1040518_zpsugrtudua.jpg
Mig Earth wash, Tamiya black washes in the hubs, some pigment and pigment fixer was used.

However, the wheels should be installed too...and one of them didn't cooperate. Bring out the Hobbit Trilogy then (it's good as support at least...)
P1040520_zpsyfa4885f.jpg
And finally, with all landing gear and covers in place:
P1040523_zpsk0lzveia.jpg
P1040524_zpsl9hxbfy5.jpg
P1040526_zpsludzfhyk.jpg

Until next update!

(which should contain decals, I hope)

• Like 5