Save our Shackleton

Truro Model Builder

Oh dear! I heard about the chopper being used on brand new Nimrod airframes at 'Lossie', but 'inappropriate' to make comment sounds like a Civil servant's exhortation for us to never remember we had some tremendous, even if stop-gap, maritime patrol aircraft. No doubt the hush-up over the recent Russian sub embarrassment has extended to truly worthwhile projects like saving her. Under the carpet Sir; or else! :fight:

But practically speaking, what can really be done I ponder? :hmmm:

Thanks for heads up.

Graham

'inappropriate' to make comment sounds like a Civil servant's exhortation for us to never remember we had some tremendous, even if stop-gap, maritime patrol aircraft

A civil servant writes: no, not at all. What this almost certainly means is that there's a live sale exercise under way and they don't want to say anything that could put buyers off or lead them to sue. "Inappropriate" is a stupid choice of word (I always say, the word most often used inappropriately is "inappropriate") but it's the current vogue and we can't seem to drop it.

I can't read the Facebook stuff from here. Does Save Our Shackleton have a solid plan for how they might deal with the corrosion problems, and where she might end up?

• Like 2

Nothing concrete, it seems. I fear that they are a well meaning group who do not realise the enormity of the task that would be ahead of them, unfortunately. It's a shame, as I would love to see her preserved, but I really cannot see it happening.

I have not heard of Save Our Shackleton before but would be surprised (and disappointed) if they were entirely unrelated to the sub-group of Cornwall Aviation Society who have been lovingly giving up their Sunday mornings to tend this aircraft (and even convert her back to MR.2 configuration) on a shoestring for years. She is as well looked after as a small group of dedicated amateurs can achieve on an aircraft stored outside in a hostile salt-laden environment. I doubt whether you will find a group less naively optimistic about the corrosion etc issues they've been battling for years, As to longterm future, well, there's an aircraft museum with immense hangars elsewhere on the same base. They don't have a Shackleton at St Mawgan yet...

In the meantime, go and see her while you may.

• Like 2

Hi guys

If I might throw our hat into things? We are not "Save our Shackleton" or affiliated with them. They are a group headed by a local enthusiast who intend to put the aircraft on a pole outside the Aerohub.

We are the Shackleton Preservation Trust (registered charity 1020951). We're an organisation dedicated to supporting the preservation of all surviving Shackleton aircraft. Formed in 1993, the SPT own Avro Shackleton WR963 based at Coventry Airport which is hoped will fly in the near future. Over the years we have been fortunate to acquire a sizeable amount of spares for the aircraft, tooling, equipment, the original manufacturers drawing archive, and the design rights.

The SPT have had a long standing association with the Cornish Aviation Society and through them WL795, organising loans of parts and vital spares to replace damaged or corroded items. Parts were offered to the RAF as late as 2012 to prevent WL795's demise. As such we have put in a tender for WL795, with no other motive other than to preserve her intact and with the intention that she stay in Cornwall. We don't require donations to take things forward, or to crowdfund, nor will we ask. Bidding is already over. They had to be in to the MOD in hard copy, with a firm price offer by no later than Wed 17th December. We expect to hear back in about a month's time if we are successful or not.

We won't strip WL795 for parts. We have enough spares to keep WR963 going, and have sent new parts down to Rosalie. We have more waiting to go on to make her safe should we be the winning bidder. A local home is already secured. She won't leave the area. we're committed to keeping her on duty in Cornwall - an important task she's done patiently for 25 years. The local link to the spiritual home of Coastal Command at St Eval is one we are proud of.

If we are successful WL795 will not die at the hands of the scrappers.

Kind regards,

Rich Woods
Shackleton Preservation Trust

Edited by richw_82
  • Like 12

Yes, all the very best with the bid Rich

...and keeping on topic; Airfix have got on pre-order; the Avro Shackleton MR Mk.2. Maybe going to be a good year for the Shack...well let's hope.

Thanks guys!

On the subject if the Airfix Shack, as holders of the design rights we supplied the original manufacturers drawings for the project. Its the first time ANYONE has had full access to the data since the 1970's.

I'll keep you all posted with progres on our bid for the St Mawgan Shackleton.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Its not us (SPT) that won the bid, but the local "Save Our Shackleton" camapaign group. We are in contact though, and subject to Trustee approval, we'll be helping out.

The aircraft will be staying in Cornwall, and although its early days it looks as though she has a secure future.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Another update: according the BBC, the group has started dismantling the airframe. No word on where they intend to take her, though.

I'm told that she's being moved "across a live airfield and to its new home for restoration".

I presume that therefore this is a move from St Mawgan to the Newquay airport part of the former airbase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-35015179

Sam

Its a strange state of affairs when we Brits have airframes we want to preserve and huge hangars that could hold and yet the RAF/MoD can't/won't do that. Up here at Cosford we are gradually accumulating significant and in some cases unique airframes and they are sitting outside. That means they will gradually rust away - as happened to a large chunk of the last 'lot' to be outdoors. I appreciate that old airframes have little relevance as training aids but surely these airframes should be stored under cover and plans laid to build more 'super hangars' to display them in? Hendon is seriously limited on space/growth but that doesn't apply to Cosford. We all really should push to have the RAF Museum at Cosford extended with plans made for develpopmnent over the next 10- 15 years and thereafter to ensure that airframes are not lost forever. I sincerely hope that whatever happens to Rosalie, she ends up somewhere dry - better that and out of the public view so that, one day, when the funds are there, she can be properly displayed - indoors!

Rant over

Simon

• Like 2

Rosalie was moved across to the civilian side last week, after being partially dismantled to allow her to be towed up through the St. Mawgan site. She will be reassembled for public display on the Aerohub site at Newquay airport.

Hopefully she`ll remain indoors and not be mounted on top of a pole as originally planned!

Tony

Agree with Tony she needs to be indoors !!

Guy