357 Magnum

Deanflyer

Hi all,

Been away for a while as I've been busy with work, but I'm on hols for xmas now and I've knocked this together over the last few days. It's a 1:1 scale Smith and Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum revolver with a four inch barrel, identical to the one I used to own when such a thing was still allowed.

It's a plastic kit painted with Alclad Gun Metal and a coat of Johnson's over the top to give it that gloss shine of blued metal, and the sights and sight rail are matt black as per the original. The trigger and hammer on the real thing are case hardened, which leaves a lovely blue/red/brown staining effect on the surface. I tried to replicate this with various Alclads and Tamiya clear blue and red. You be the judge of whether it looks like metal.

The rounds in the photos are real but inert, and the walnut grips are the originals from my old gun. Happy days...

Here's the main views then:

m19a_zps85d9f52c.jpg

m19f_zps60a7fe96.jpg

Needs some ammo:

m19b_zpsf110fa0a.jpg

Swing out the cylinder on its crane:

m19c_zps3187a10d.jpg

And slot in the rounds:

m19d_zpsaa9f839c.jpg

JSP's...mmm...

m19e_zpsd3c8092d.jpg

Personally, I'm quite pleased with the effect:

m19g_zpsd924875f.jpg

m19h_zps37c734c0.jpg

Here's the case hardening on the hammer:

m19i_zps337908e6.jpg

And the trigger:

m19j_zpscc939b8c.jpg

As they used to say at the gun club - "It'd get you shot...":

m19k_zpsee20306a.jpg

Now, what's next...?

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Deanflyer
  • Like 7

Nice. I have the old LS Luger PO-8 kit half made up that I should finish, and would if it was even close to legal to own. Seeing as it's not, it stays half built (badly, I've had it a long time) in its box, in the deep stash.

Does anyone know the exact legal standing of these kits? Can Dean expect the long arm of the law to come knocking at his door for owning one of these (I'm sure there are serving police officers on this site)?

Andy

Does anyone know the exact legal standing of these kits? Can Dean expect the long arm of the law to come knocking at his door for owning one of these (I'm sure there are serving police officers on this site)?

Andy

I'm no expert, but wouldn't have thought so. Guy in our club collects de-activated real ones & it's apparently legal to own those. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to wave one at an armed Firearms Officer though...

I'm no expert, but wouldn't have thought so. Guy in our club collects de-activated real ones & it's apparently legal to own those. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to wave one at an armed Firearms Officer though...

Deacts are not replicas though.

Under the VCRA it is illegal to purchase, sell, gift or manufacture Replica Imitation Firearms without a specific defense (Airsofter, reenactor, theatre/film/television). Ownership is not a problem. If you own the kit and then build it, you are breaking the law though. Yes, the law is an bottom.

Deacts are not replicas though.

Under the VCRA it is illegal to purchase, sell, gift or manufacture Replica Imitation Firearms without a specific defense (Airsofter, reenactor, theatre/film/television). Ownership is not a problem. If you own the kit and then build it, you are breaking the law though. Yes, the law is an bottom.

You just have to laugh!! From memory my club mate has a Sten, MP42, Luger & a couple more I forget, & was looking to buy a Bren - all legally, but you can't build a plastic toy...??!! Bottom indeed - who writes this stuff...??!!

And thinking about it, I hope they define 'replica' as in being full size? Otherwise many of us could all be in trouble with our replica 1/35th scale Lee Enfields, AK-47's et al. After all, almost everything we model purports to be a replica...

Replica:

"Can be mistaken for a real firearm-

By someone who is not an expert

Without close inspection

Without attempting to load or fire"

The law doesn't define expertiese, or how close is close inspection. Had the Airsoft community had the funds to hire some decent lawyers, the VCRA could have been shredded.

Legality-wise, I think it's going to depend on which country you live in, and if you're in the USA, possibly even which state (or county!) may make a difference. When in doubt, check local legislation and consult a real lawyer.

Edited by Rob G