1/72 Airfix Baby Spit

Seamus

Evening all,

With the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain next year, I've devised a cunning plan to build as many RAF and Luftwaffe types from the conflict as I can. A couple of decals sheets arrived today, and I've already made a decent start on the first kit, Airfix's lovely little Spitfire I. The interior is pretty much there now, nothing too special going on, just the addition of some Eduard seat belts to tart it up a little.

_MG_8671_zpsa59471bd.jpg

There's a variety of Spitfire to choose from, though I'm a bit of a sucker for black and white undersides, so may well go for that option. Decision time is still a little way off, though she should come together pretty quickly.

More soon, thanks for looking,

Shaun

• Like 6

Solid start so far Seamus.

I built one this year and loved it's simplicity, yet the detail is excellent. Planning to do a double build to finish/start 2014/2015 due to it's simplicity and low parts count. I imagine you could build a great collection of BoB types from new mold Aifix alone. Spitfire I & II, Hurricane I, Blenhiemi, Blenheim IV, Tiger Moth (if you wish), Bf 109E-3/4, Bf 110C, Dornier Do 17Z (gimme, gimme, gimme). I'm hanging out for the Dornier & Blenheim IV personally.

Solid start so far Seamus.

I built one this year and loved it's simplicity, yet the detail is excellent. Planning to do a double build to finish/start 2014/2015 due to it's simplicity and low parts count. I imagine you could build a great collection of BoB types from new mold Aifix alone. Spitfire I & II, Hurricane I, Blenhiemi, Blenheim IV, Tiger Moth (if you wish), Bf 109E-3/4, Bf 110C, Dornier Do 17Z (gimme, gimme, gimme). I'm hanging out for the Dornier & Blenheim IV personally.

Also, the Airfix Gladiator and soon to be released Defiant.

The Airfix Spitfire is my favourite kit, I've done 10 of them with another 2 nearly finished, one can't really go wrong and you look like you've made a good start.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Also, the Airfix Gladiator and soon to be released Defiant.

The Airfix Spitfire is my favourite kit, I've done 10 of them with another 2 nearly finished, one can't really go wrong and you look like you've made a good start.

A new Airfix Defiant? I'll buy at least two :goodjob:

Thanks guys, glad this has generated some early interested. B)

This will be the second airfix Spit I've built after an early Mk I, really is an excellent little kit.

As for the rest of the project, the Xtradecal sheets have markings for the following types:

Hurricane Mk I- Waiting for Airfix to update their ragwing Hurri to a metal winged version.

Defiant- Airfix new tool when it's released.

Blenheim IF- Have the bomber version in the stash but could do with sourcing the gun pack for the fighter version

Gladiator- Airfix is the obvious option, but I don't really build biplanes, so will see about that one

BF109E-3/4- Tamiya is my preferred choice, might build a couple as there's loads of options

BF-110C- Will source an Eduard Profipack for this

Do-17Z- My Airfix kit is on its way

He-111P- Will hold out for the new Airfix kit next year

Ju-88A-1- At the moment, converting a Zvezda A-5 seems the best option, but will hold out for a new kit for the time being

Ju-87B- Not sure about the best kit available for this?

There are obviously other types available, Beaufighter I for example, but I'll stick to the sheets and see how I get on. I'm sure I'll want to deviatwe from the project at times too, so might not get them all built. Time will tell.

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks all, seems the Stuka will also be a new Airfix kit after today's announcement B) Just a shame a metal winged Hurricane wasn't announced too, but we can't have it all....

Work has continued apace with the Spit, with the bulk of construction complete. Despite my best efforts to avoid it, the IP pushed the fuselage halves apart a little, causing a small gap running from the engine cowl to the canopy. Nothing a CA+pigment filler mix didn't sort, but it also meant the wing roots were a little wide. A few swipes of the inner edge of the upper wing halves were required to gain a pretty tight fit at the root, though I might have the dihedral of the wings too shallow as a result, not that it's immediately obvious, so I'm more than happy to let it go. A few touches of filler elsewhere and she's just about ready for the last few parts to be added and a quick prime to check the seams for any gaps I've missed.

_MG_8842_zpsbc74d900.jpg

_MG_8844_zps33287da5.jpg

More soon, thanks for looking

Shaun

• Like 1

I did both drill the female locaters and sand a little off the IP. Dryfitting showed it to be a decent fit, but I guess after painting, it put the IP out again. Something to think about for the next one.

More progress to report. Yesterday was spent adding the final touches, priming and sorting a few things out before rubbing it down with some micromesh cloths. I expected that to be my lot until after Christmas, but with a little more time on my hands than I expected today, I've got the Sky underside sprayed up. I used Xtracolor as usual, which I find a little too green, but provides a good base for post-shading with a lightened mix. As usual, the photo doesn't do the shading justice, but I'm pleased with the result.

_MG_8846_zpse067fd49.jpg

That will have a good few days to cure now before I'm back home after Christmas to crack on with the upper camouflage.

Thanks for looking,

Merry Christmas everyone! :santa:

Plenty more progress has been made with the Spit. Once Christmas was done with, I sprayed the Dark Earth.

_MG_8847_zps4f734c66.jpg

This was duly masked off....

_MG_8848_zps10b947bb.jpg

In preparation for the Dark Green this morning.

_MG_8850_zpse95b61d9.jpg

Rustins driers work a treat for speeding up the drying time for Xtracolor, allowing me to safely handle the model for unmasking. A couple of touch ups later, here's where she stands, with the prop dryfitted for show

_MG_8851_zps25e7008f.jpg

_MG_8852_zps208329a7.jpg

_MG_8853_zpsb96ead8e.jpg

Still unsure on Xtracolor Dark Earth. Seems too dark under certain light, but looks fine under others, as the pictures suggest. I won't worry too much about it as the post shading alters the tone anyway.

Will let that all cure over night before a sealing coat or two of Klear ahead of the decals

Thanks for looking,

Shaun :)

• Like 2

Yep, that's the kit I'll use. Just a shame it's due for release in December, unlikely I'll get it done this year...