Here at last

:lol: My original intention was to build a single engine Lightning combining the wings/undercarriage/cockpit using the Airfix 1/48 F6 & the fuselage/tail of the 1/48 KP Sukhoi SU-7. Unfortunately, a broken arm has imposed serious curtailment of my recent modelling activities .Back in business now but time constraints have forced me to come up with plan B - The Lightning F6 SHB (Should Have Been!). Features much improved & more powerful AI radar with longer range. Full width radome. Retaining 2 x 30mm cannons & armed with 2 Radar guided BFMs (Big F****** Missiles) and 2 x Red Top heat seekers. I'm going to mount the BFMs on the over wing pylons. As carrying the larger Red Top missiles required a larger tailfin in the F3/F6, I'm going to fit my Lightning with a larger fin to compensate for the even bigger missiles

The general ease with which the Airfix kit assembles is a great help. The wings and undercarriage are already built & put aside. Most of the work is on the fuselage. Hope to get this all put together over the next couple of days. I'll be using a pair of redundant 1/32 Sparrow missiles as the basis for the main armament. Tail fin is from the Revell 1/32 F-16. The intake was made out of an unidentified piece of fuselage I found in my bits box. I have moved the nose wheel bay back . The nose wheel will be located at the front end of the bay

Allan009-10.jpg008-12.jpg

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 4

Glad to see you are joining the party Allan :D

Thanks Col.

Better late than never. Got a couple of weeks off work over Christmas so I'll be able crack on with this

Allan

It looks very interesting. At first glance my thought was Super Crusader or a crossbreeding of it and the Lighting

My original plan was for cheek intakes but in order to simplify construction I opted for a chin intake. I like the look of the Crusader III - I think the swept forward intake actually makes it look sleeker. It also suits the Lightning

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Latest W I P! Took these a couple of days ago. Ready now for its first coat of paint. I'm going for a two tone grey wraparound scheme using the no 11 sqn decals from the kit. The radar guided BFMs ( Big F****** Missiles) :lol: are a combination of 1/32 Sparrow missiles & various finny / wingy things I salvaged from the bits box! A blanking plate over the intake will cover a multitude of modelling sins! Missiles are Blu tacked in place for the photos.

Allan

003-27.jpg002-28.jpg001-27.jpg

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

I hate to be the bringer of bad news but, I'm afraid I will not finish in time for the deadline. I am not prepared to rush things. My recently mended arm has been very painful over the last couple of days so I'm having another rest from modelling. I've started applying the camouflage pattern & will hopefully get another couple of pics before close of play. I will continue to show on the Work In Progress section & post in the Ready for Inspection when completed.

Allan :weep:

• Like 1

Shame you're not going to get it finished in time but it'll look great when completed. I know how you feel with the dicky arm, it has taken me a year to recover from rotator cuff damage to my shoulder and I couldn't get too much done for ages.

Duncan B

Shame you're not going to get it finished in time but it'll look great when completed. I know how you feel with the dicky arm, it has taken me a year to recover from rotator cuff damage to my shoulder and I couldn't get too much done for ages.

Duncan B

I broke my right arm in probably the worst possible place - right below the shoulder socket!! Very nasty break. I couldn't use a cast because immobilising the limb would have caused problems with the joint later on. so, I had it in a sling only.Had to be my modelling arm of course!! That's the breaks I guess !! (absolutely NO pun intended!!!) :lol:

Allan

Allan I know exactly what you're going through. 10 years ago I was run down by a forklift and broke both my arms just below the elbow. No cast either just slings and being told by the emergency staff to use both as much pain allowed them to do. I was devastated thinking about the humiliation getting wiped my bottom by someone else. But I managed to do it my self with a lot of pain :yahoo: Its actually amazing what you can do with two broken arms. Played a lot of Playstation. Driving like a broken arm :weep::analintruder:

This one is looking great so far and I think you have a good reason for not finishing :oops:

Will keep an eye out for your continued progress.