Q: Sea Fury wing interior colour

Sten Ekedahl

Have been looking at my Trumpeter 1/72 Sea Fury for a while. Since I will give it the "full Eduard treatment", I have decided to build it with folded wings. That raises the question about what the interior coulour of the wings, visible at the fold, was. In b/w photos it is clearly a light colour, but the question is which one: natural metal/silver paint, sky, or yellow primer? Any answers greatly appreciated.

This is how Peter Cooke illustrated it in 1983, and he got his information from the (then) curator of the Fleet Air Arm Museum, who'd served, with the Sea Fury, on a carrier during the Korean war; the wheel wells were the same "Hawker yellow," as Danni and her father have described it, but standard zinc chromate will probably suffice.508_zpsf6b66447.jpg

• Like 1

Parts of the wheel well and wing fold on the example in the FAA Museum at Yeovilton are the paler yellow that Danni and her Father call " Hawker Yellow" . To my eye, it is much paler than YZC and a little "brown" rather than green, and I would probably add some white to something like RAF trainer yellow to get to that shade.

I used humbrol 7 for "hawker Yellow" in the u/c bay on my recent Trumpeter Sea Fury. Slightly lighter than zinc chromate. I left the wing fold in sky. By the way I don't know whether Trumpeter repeated the errors on the 1/72 kit as the 1/48 offering but the latter has "tear drop" shaped farings on the main u/c doors which shouldn't be there ( they WERE on the FAA historic flight's TF956 before it was lost in 1989 perhaps they used a photo of this machine for reference!)

By the way I don't know whether Trumpeter repeated the errors on the 1/72 kit as the 1/48 offering but the latter has "tear drop" shaped farings on the main u/c doors which shouldn't be there ( they WERE on the FAA historic flight's TF956 before it was lost in 1989 perhaps they used a photo of this machine for reference!)

Yes they are present on the 1/72 kit too.

Yes they are present on the 1/72 kit too.

Actually, it seems they were present on FRU machines late in the Sea Fury's career but I have no idea what they were for! Presumably the FAA Historic flight machine had doors fitted from one of these.

:winkgrin:

Or Steve as his friends call him :)

Thankyou Steve - as a Gentlemen I would of course never presume to use a persons Christian/Forename until formally introduced :winkgrin: