Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson!

HansReggelsen

There seems to be some bewilderment that Nelson is the next choice by trumpeter in its 1/200 series. To be fair, irrespective of the vessel, 1/200 scale is more than likely going to be the jewel in the crown of any ship collection.

Each modelling genera has a scale that aims at the markets- for instance, 1/16 for MV's & AFV'S. 1/24 for fighter aircraft.

I would love to have the budget, time and the space to build and display a single ship in this scale in my collection. Sadly I don't, however I do appreciate and enjoy the photos of the fruits of modellers that do.

As for choice of subject, the design of class is an unusual one with all main guns on the foredeck, but they are as historic as any other vessel trumpeter have produced.

I'm grateful that any manufacturer goes to such great length to satisfy our appetite in a hobby that is as volatile as modelling, given the current world economy.

In my 40 odd years of kit building, many great names of manufacturers have gone, but never before have we had the opportunity to build such a diverse and wonderful range as we have today.

Enjoy it while we can.

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 2

Ohhh-kay?! So Nelson came out first in 1/200, to be joined soon by Rodney. However, Rodney will be the first in 1/350 but there's no sign of Nelson in 1/350, yes?

What about a version for all my 1:144 aircraft kits then???? :shrug:

At the way some of the far eastern manufacturers to be going with 1/16 AFV's, 1/200 ships and 1/32 four engined heavies- it may be on the horizon in the next few years!!! ;-) ;-)

I hope we get new models of these ships in 1/700 too, a proper WW2 Rodney would be great. I'd take a model of Nelson or Rodney over Arizona, Bismarck or Missouri any day as I bet most British ship modellers would.

I would recommend to anyone to get the Shipcraft book and Burts RN Battleships of WW2 book, if your building Nelson or Rodney, especially in this huge scale. For those wondering about Rodney, there are quite significant differences in the bridge structures between the 2 ships. It's kinda hard to explain them but if you have the 2 books I've mentioned and compare drawings and photos, you'll see what I mean. The other differences should be easy to model, with appropriate etch.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chango, If you have built any of the earlier Trumpeter 1/200th series?

Could you comment with regards to the quality of the polystyrene used and the thoughtfulness of placing sprue attachments on part edges that would ultimately be unseen e.t.c. with the "Nelson".

I am interested in getting hold of the "Iowa" when I've finished "Nelson" but I am concerned that I would be disappointed with the earlier quality and kit design after really enjoying this "up to date" "Nelson" (OOB) build, if you see what I mean.

Anybody else with info about this, please fedel free to chime in...

Cheers,

Pete.

P.S. Chango, I shall be watching your build with interest!

Hey Chango, If you have built any of the earlier Trumpeter 1/200th series?

Could you comment with regards to the quality of the polystyrene used and the thoughtfulness of placing sprue attachments on part edges that would ultimately be unseen e.t.c. with the "Nelson".

I am interested in getting hold of the "Iowa" when I've finished "Nelson" but I am concerned that I would be disappointed with the earlier quality and kit design after really enjoying this "up to date" "Nelson" (OOB) build, if you see what I mean.

Anybody else with info about this, please fedel free to chime in...

Cheers,

Pete.

P.S. Chango, I shall be watching your build with interest!

Thanks! I've been bitten pretty bad by the 1/200 bug... here's my Arizona, Bismarck and future Iowa:

Retreat2012073.jpg

c8IgxHel.jpg

YnmeSq2.jpg

r3NcHAcl.jpg

Yea, I'm "that guy" :banghead:

The plastic is Trumpeter's typical thick, somewhat soft light grey stuff with all of them, not bad to work with in my opinion but I hear some people have problems with paint adhering to it... usually a problem caused by improper prep work. The fret joints are fairly big unfortunately and I've noticed more flashing on Nellie than my previous 1/200 kits. Fit seems a little bit worse this time too, but still not what I'd consider really bad.

On the plus side, Nelson seems to have a more accurate hull than the previous 1/200 kits; it bugged me so bad on the Iowa that I burned myself out pretty much totally rebuilding the hull and am holding off on that build while I do the Nelson. The Iowa is otherwise a really nice kit above the waterline and shouldn't disappoint if you liked the Nelson.

Edited by Chango

Thanks for that Chango.

And here was I thinking that the "Nelson" parts fit wasn't bad!

I have not found any flash on my frets but perhaps I am lucky and don't have a "Friday afternoon model"...

I think that you are totally nuts doing all that correction work that you do but kudos to you: it's obviously what floats your boat, (quite literally) and you excell at it but you are nearly half my age and for me (with health problems) life is too short to worry about hull shapes and the like, I'm just going for the overall WOW factor!

Some would write me off as "not being a serious modeller" because of my attitude but I have too many builds that I want to start/complete before the big trip upstairs, to take on that level of work.

Thank you for giving an honest and open appraisal of Trumpeter's 1/200th range and after "Nelson" I will be looking at "Iowa" possibly with an aftermarket set or two....

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by Peter Coleman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a company that produces ww2 warships in 1/128 of course depends on what ship you want to build a 2ft destroyer or Nelson or Rodney, for either static or r/c