Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson!

HansReggelsen

• 1 month later...

Why is it too big for the enthusiasts? The 1/200 scale is perfect for enthusiasts with a bit of display room as you can pack a lot more detail into a 1/200 scale ship than 1/350.

I built the Revell 1/350 Bismarck and chucked the Lionroar Advanced PE set at it and it came out looking great, but the 1/200 Pontos set on the 1/200 Bismarck leaves it in the dust for detail. And I think I am an enthusiast.. :yikes:

Got me wondering too... I've got at least 50 hours into my 1/200 Iowa (I rebuilt the hull for accuracy) and bought 500 bucks in aftermarket shiny stuff for it... figured I was being pretty enthusiastic about it. :yahoo:

The Iowa/Missouri with aftermarket stuff makes the Bismarck seem like a normal, sane project, so a Nelson is like an easy weekend build I guess...

Edited by Chango

• 4 weeks later...

I for one am really pleased to see these ships in this scale and will definitely be getting hold of one. Always been a favourite of mine since building the Airfix thingy as a nipper. I agree that I/350th would also be nice as well as more manageable but it's a great choice...... ...now if they could just manage a Fuso in mammoth scale I'd be a very happy little herbivore !

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

If you are going to build this ship, and live in the North East of England take a trip to the Discovery Museum in Newcastle. There's a brilliant builders model of HMS Nelson on display there (saw it last week) along with a few others ships built on the Tyne.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've managed to get one of these kits but haven't done much with it yet as I'm waiting for the various upgrades to come out. I've made a start with the hull though. Does anyone know of any decent pics of the propellers on the real thing? The glands look a bit 'clumsy' (i.e. the hole through which the propeller shaft enters the hull is far too big).

Plus there are a two rows of what look like colossal rivets running down each side of the hull at roughly waterline level. What are they meant to represent? Should they even be there?

Yes, I am lucky and have an understanding Wife (who actually buys me models), lots of display room and the kids have grown up, well in body if not in the head yet..

Are they releasing it in 1/350 as well? I have the Arizona, Bismarck and Missouri still to build in 1/200. Might have to wait for the Nelson.

(And how is this for a whinge) Why oh why couldn't they release the HMS Rodney?! I mean to say we are awash with kits of the Nelson, and... blah blah blah...

Is it possibly the name Warren? After all, Admiral Nelson is one of our most famous naval officers. Although he had a long and distinguished career I guess Admiral Rodney simply lacks the historical prominence? I must admit, I rather like the appearance of the Nelson class. A particularly British compromise. If I could afford it, I would buy this. Looks particulary attractive in camouflage

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

In the Trumpeter 2015-2016 catalogue for 1/200 scale they list HMS Nelson 1944 ( #03708 ) and HMS Rodney ( #03709 ) and in 1/350 scale they list HMS Nelson 1944 ( #05625 ) and HMS Rodney ( #05626 ).

In the catalogue there is a 1/200 scale HMS Hood ( #03710 ) listed as well.

I second your :yikes:

That could turn into a lifelong project. I'd best avoid it!!

Trust me, I built a 1/350 Enterprise and that was HUGE!! A 1/200 Nimitz would just be silly... although.... Best not start on my 1/350 version then... :whistle:

• 3 months later...

Hi I'm a newbie here on the forum and also to battleship modelling.

I picked up this kit on a whim about a week ago. I bought because I needed a BIG project to get into to in order to take my mind off my current illness and also a virtual promise that I probably have advanced prostrate cancer.

My question is a simple "newbie" question, Trumpeter have produced Nelson as she was in 1944 and the painting directions call out for the major part of the hull and superstructure to be quite a dark shade of grey: Vallejo 992, which converts to Humbrol 27,(which I'm using), but it looks very dark when compared to the few B/W photos and wonderful "Ship-Craft" book illustrations are available in this configuration, even the boxtop artwork shows her in a much lighter looking shade.

I am building this ship "straight out of the box" because there is no way I could afford any of the beautiful aftermarket sets whilst trying to eke out an existence on sickness benefits. It's only down to the goodness of my tame model shop owner that I have the kit in the first place.

I will probably start a build log when I have summoned up enough courage, and will most likely be asking a lot of "stupid" questions.

If you would like to check out my HMS Victory Modellers Forum, here is the address (hope it's allowed) http://www.hmsvictory.org.uk

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by Peter Coleman

Hi I'm a newbie here on the forum and also to battleship modelling.

I picked up this kit on a whim about a week ago. I bought because I needed a BIG project to get into to in order to take my mind off my current illness and also a virtual promise that I probably have advanced prostrate cancer.

My question is a simple "newbie" question, Trumpeter have produced Nelson as she was in 1944 and the painting directions call out for the major part of the hull and superstructure to be quite a dark shade of grey: Vallejo 992, which converts to Humbrol 27,(which I'm using), but it looks very dark when compared to the few B/W photos and wonderful "Ship-Craft" book illustrations are available in this configuration, even the boxtop artwork shows her in a much lighter looking shade.

I am building this ship "straight out of the box" because there is no way I could afford any of the beautiful aftermarket sets whilst trying to eke out an existence on sickness benefits. It's only down to the goodness of my tame model shop owner that I have the kit in the first place.

I will probably start a build log when I have summoned up enough courage, and will most likely be asking a lot of "stupid" questions.

If you would like to check out my HMS Victory Modellers Forum, here is the address (hope it's allowed) http://www.hmsvictory.org.uk

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Peter,

I'm in no way well up on late WWII RN colours, but I would imagine that the scheme would be an Admiralty Standard one consisting of the warm light Grey G55 with the blue B45 on the belt armour area.

Joseph

Thanks for that, Joseph.

Therein lies my problem, G55 means nothing to me, I need a Humbrol equivalent.

I have a pretty cool set of conversion charts but no mention of Admiralty colours.

Does anyone happen to know the Humbrol equivalent to G55?

The book mentions G45 for the grey and B20 for the blue area, the Humbrol equivalents to these codes would be most useful to!

Thanks in advance,

Confused of Sussex.

OK, After a little more digging around on the web I think that I've answered my own question!

It looks like the ubiquitous Humbrol "Matt Light Grey"=(64) is my best bet for G45 in ready to use rattle cans.

Also Trumpeter call for the completely wrong shade of blue: Humbrol "Midnight Blue"=(15), it should be B20 which is a totally different colour altogether!

Ah, the relaxing and fulfilling joys of this hobby....

Cheers for now,

Pete.

Edited by Peter Coleman

OK, After a little more digging around on the web I think that I've answered my own question!

It looks like the ubiquitous Humbrol "Matt Light Grey"=(64) is my best bet for G45 in ready to use rattle cans.

Also Trumpeter call for the completely wrong shade of blue: Humbrol "Midnight Blue"=(15), it should be B20 which is a totally different colour altogether!

Ah, the relaxing and fulfilling joys of this hobby....

Cheers for now,

Pete.

Hi Peter,

When I get home I'll have a look at the lid on my tinlet of Colourcoats B20 and see if I can come up with a reasonable Humbrol equivalent. I can't guarantee that it'll be available in a rattlecan.

Joseph