Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson!

HansReggelsen

What an extraordinary choice. It would have been an ideal subject for 1/350, like their Richelieu and German heavy cruisers. Well known, but not seriously popular. So far the 1/200 monsters have all been the most popular battleship subjects (Arizona, Bismarck, Missouri) but why make a Nelson in 1/200?

Seems bizarre to me. Too big for the enthusiast and too obscure for the masses. :shrug:

I'm not generally a maritime builder but the Nelson/Rodney I'd particularly be interested in, especially in a bigger scale than the 1/700 (?) Tamiya Waterline kit which is the only kit of these ships I've seen.

Something about the unusual 3 turrets at the front. Definitely on the "buy list"

My Grandfather served on the Nelson's sister ship - HMS Rodney - during WWII (including the Bismark action). I'd consider getting one of these kits and building it up for my mum as the Rodney (assuming someone comes out with an appropriate conversion set - which I'm hoping will just be a name change...).

My Grandfather served on the Nelson's sister ship - HMS Rodney - during WWII (including the Bismark action). I'd consider getting one of these kits and building it up for my mum as the Rodney (assuming someone comes out with an appropriate conversion set - which I'm hoping will just be a name change...).

Memory suggests there were a few significant changes, notably a large cut-out in the base of the port side of the forward superstructure for the aircraft crane and the roof of the Admiral's Bridge was cut back to provide an open platform for aircraft spotting (or was that the other way round?)

• Like 1

HI Everyone,

Too big for me, and 1260 parts too boot! Rather you than me if you are going to build this kit. I think there is a builder's model of Nelson in a museum in Newcastle as the ship was built at Armstrong-Whitworth's yard. It might be worth visiting the museum and taking a few photographs of it if you are thinking on building this kit.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Not really a ship modeller but a 1/200 Bismark, Rodney, Hood, KG V and PoW with perhaps the Ark would be a nice wee set. Well not so wee and also damaging to the wallet

Of course I have omitted to add several other cast members !!

• Like 1

I've always wanted a large scale Nelson or Rodney, so the news that both are being done in 1:350 and 1:200 is quite amazing. Add the 1:200 Hood and my wallet will be going into meltdown. :frantic:

What an extraordinary choice. It would have been an ideal subject for 1/350, like their Richelieu and German heavy cruisers. Well known, but not seriously popular. So far the 1/200 monsters have all been the most popular battleship subjects (Arizona, Bismarck, Missouri) but why make a Nelson in 1/200?

Seems bizarre to me. Too big for the enthusiast and too obscure for the masses. :shrug:

Why is it too big for the enthusiasts? The 1/200 scale is perfect for enthusiasts with a bit of display room as you can pack a lot more detail into a 1/200 scale ship than 1/350.

I built the Revell 1/350 Bismarck and chucked the Lionroar Advanced PE set at it and it came out looking great, but the 1/200 Pontos set on the 1/200 Bismarck leaves it in the dust for detail. And I think I am an enthusiast.. :yikes:

• Like 1

The 1/200 scale is perfect for enthusiasts with a bit of display room

That's by no means a majority, and by a bit, I would say that means a lot, if you want a selection of 50x10" display models!

(or at least a very understanding wife and very careful kids!)

That's by no means a majority, and by a bit, I would say that means a lot, if you want a selection of 50x10" display models!

(or at least a very understanding wife and very careful kids!)

Or single mate :winkgrin: At least they're releasing them in both 1:200 and 1:350, giving most maritime modellers the chance to have a nice big Nelson or Rodney in their collection.

Yes, I am lucky and have an understanding Wife (who actually buys me models), lots of display room and the kids have grown up, well in body if not in the head yet..

Are they releasing it in 1/350 as well? I have the Arizona, Bismarck and Missouri still to build in 1/200. Might have to wait for the Nelson.

(And how is this for a whinge) Why oh why couldn't they release the HMS Rodney?! I mean to say we are awash with kits of the Nelson, and... blah blah blah...

• Like 1

A whoosh parrot? What us that? No I did not know they were releasing both.. I was only trying to be funny... and not succeeding by the look of it. :shutup:

You use a whoosh parrot to stuff a budgie smuggler Warren :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's a phrase used when someone posts something that you think is obvious but aren't quite sure if the poster is taking the micky, or just hasn't seen their mistake. It's used a lot on one of the other forums I frequent. Don't worry about it. :D