RAAF dress code 1941-42

Tom Hall

I've finished looking at the AWM collection of photos of RAAF Catalinas and I see that by mid-1944 it was common to fly shirtless. Was it customary to do so in the Pacific 1941-42?

Depends. Some pilots flew wearing short-sleeved shirts and shorts while others wore flying suits, with the former being more common (at least that's what photos of the Buffalo pilots in Singapore show). Not seen any pics of shirtless pilots.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by mhaselden

I just flicked through my two volumes of RAAF camouflage and Markings Tom, and have not found any photos of shirtless pilots from this time frame.

As the Japanese Air Force still constituted a major threat, I imagine all pilots would have worn the required gear

Cheers

Bruce

Okay, many thanks.

I did not imagine fighter pilots would fly shirtless because they were not usually in the plane for half a day. I can understand how it would be comfortable on a long-range daytime search or mining mission to take off the shirt, and AWM has several photos showing that, including one of a first or second pilot.

I came across some photos of Catalina crew gunners operating totally nude. I was looking for details on the rear guns of Cats and these came up on internet. The photos did not say what nationality these men were and as they have no uniform on its hard to tell.

• Like 1

Do you have any idea of the date? Does the blister gun have some little boxes on top, apparently electric?

I have seen pictures of Lincoln MR.31As (the long-nosed ones) being flown by shirtless pilots; that would have been in the '50s and '60s. Understandable, as they were based in Townsville, North Queensland, and it would have got VERY hot inside a Lincoln's glasshouse at the sort of low altitudes at which they were operating. As to your time frame, I suspect that it would depend on the operation being undertaken, as you note above. Fighter pilots would normally have worn shirts (probably with short sleeves), given the relative shortness of their flights and the fact that they were likely to be operating at altitude. Ditto the bombers, if for no other reason than if they were shot down the shirt would have been useful once they hit the ground. MR ops could well have been different - long trips at low level in high temperatures would make comfort a serious consideration, so shirtless would be a real possibility.

I came across some photos of Catalina crew gunners operating totally nude. I was looking for details on the rear guns of Cats and these came up on internet. The photos did not say what nationality these men were and as they have no uniform on its hard to tell.

Do you have any idea of the date? Does the blister gun have some little boxes on top, apparently electric?

Here is the one photo I saved. I blanked out his bum so as not to breach the rules here, but trust me this guy was not wearing pants/shorts.

c7f6b174d112f7bad078f2a516ea8b68.jpg

The code on the photo was just a number and WW11 -PBY Blister Gunner

Somewhere - though I can't find it right now else I would include a scan - I have a Spanish publication on their Civil War. There's a photo of a biplane... a Fokker C.X, I believe, with the observer climbing out wearing just a parachute and tennis shoes. The caption goes on to say (in Spanish) that sometimes in hot weather the uniform was dispensed with. Always thought it would make an interesting diorama!

Aaaahh that's a crew member of a Catalina flown by the rather obscure 119 Squadron RAAF in WW2. This squadron was formed from volunteers from the National United Declothed Enthusiasts (NUDE) who felt that they would abandon their usually peaceful enthusiasm for sun-worship due to their patriotic yearnings to defend Australia Their unit motto was "arseholes tibi Tojo" which translates into English as "Arseholes to you Tojo". They were a true expression of the lean tall suntanned Aussie warrior.

Edited by MilneBay

Thank you, Black Knight.

That photo throws me at the moment because of the armor shield. I don't think I saw armor in the AWM photos, but the silhouettes of the ships taped to the bulkhead are Japanese ships, with Tama class light cruisers at the upper right and one below them that is probably a Myōkō class heavy cruiser. I'd say this Catalina is RAAF, RNZAF or USN. I'll check into the headset to see if I can narrow it down, but I doubt it's 1941-42.

(The poor kid is dripping wet on his back.)

Here is the one photo I saved. I blanked out his bum so as not to breach the rules here, but trust me this guy was not wearing pants/shorts.

c7f6b174d112f7bad078f2a516ea8b68.jpg

The code on the photo was just a number and WW11 -PBY Blister Gunner

Impossible, the regulations had to be followed strictly or severe military court punishment would have followed at foot.

Same with aircraft painting regulations ...

• 3 weeks later...

Photo of naked man appears in World War 2 in colour, P19 in the USN section, together with name of photographer and explanation of circumstances. Date 1944. To put you out of suspense, he's just rescued someone. RAAF connection spurious.

Edited by dalea
  • Like 1

Okay, thank you. I had my doubts that it would be 1942.