1/48 Airfix BAe Hawk T.1 in flight

I bought this kit off the Airfix web site for about £8 and its a bargain. It went together well and the only problem I had was that I had to scratch build part of the undercarriage covers as the only kit option is wheels down. The pitot tube was made from a cut down syringe needle and a pin.

15848776448_19798ef40a_b.jpg

16010436476_f0d41d651b_b.jpg
15850174809_ce8ba40584_b.jpg
16034274881_37d9f5f742_b.jpg
15848956580_38bc116b1e_b.jpg
15416582993_38087d2b9b_b.jpg
15850467157_2814a845b1_b.jpg
16010453166_d783e906db_b.jpg
15848945390_008341911e_b.jpg
15416574223_9ae08deb31_b.jpg
15850457947_a7c4acbb2d_b.jpg
16034273071_541603c4d7_b.jpg

• Like 20

wow, great job i wish i'd gone the same colours and i'm facing same thing, i decided to go air break up and flaps up. then find that there is no option for wheels up. not great for someone coming back into the hobby after a long time. chucking in a load of filler just gives a bad surface.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I forgot to add I used a photo etch set by Kuivalainen for the interior (KPE48013) which is well worth the money from Hannants for £7.99.

That's really nice. Out of curiosity, how did you get that neat curve in the acrylic rod?

I first saw how to do it on Phil Florys excellent site Florymodels. He has done a video how to do it and its on his January News Show which is also on youtube. Any way this is what I did.

The acrylic rod I used was 6mm in diameter and 50cm in length. First I cut it in half with a razor saw, then I put the electric fan assisted oven on in the kitchen and set the temperature to approx 125 degrees C. I borrowed one of the wife's cotton kitchen cloths and a pyrex glass bowl (20cm in diameter).

I folded the cotton kitchen cloth in half and placed it in the pyrex bowl so it covered the bottom and sides of the bowl to prevent the acrylic rod touching any part of the glass. I then placed the rod across the bowl and the cloth. Now with the oven on temperature I put the lot in the oven and closed the door. While the rod is warming up I lay another kitchen cloth over the edge of the kitchen bench.

After about few minutes the rod in the oven should start to sag in the middle. When it does this take the rod out of the oven place it on the cloth on the bench and start to bend downwards with firm gentle pressure but don't force it, if you know what I mean. Be careful as the rod will be warm to touch and I have used a pair of leather gloves to hold the rod.

If you don't get the bend required just put the rod back into the oven and warm again. Once you have the bend you want keep hold of the rod as it cools down to keep its shape. Thats all there is to it and it only takes about 10 minutes max for a 6mm rod. If you use thicker rod I would extend the time and I wouldn't increase the temp.

Hope this helps

Thanks Ian. I have bent acrylic rod by heating over a candle (very hit and miss) and by bending the rod around a pot of boiling water on a gas stove, pulling the rod towars me and bracing the pot handle against my midriff (how dangerous?!!!). Next time I'll try your trick. Thanks again.

Dave

• Like 1

That's a gorgeous Hawk. It's odd that Airfix give you pilots but have the undercarriage doors moulded as one unit in the lowered position, but Italeri let you have the undercarriage raised but with no pilot. Sometimes the engineering of a kit can make a simple idea more difficult than it should be.

When I built my Red Arrows synchro pair I had to have one of each, and I agree that using filler in the Airfix u/c bay leaves you with a tricky job to get those complex curves done smoothly, but you have made a very convincing job of it.

A warning to anyone thinking about replicating this idea though; be careful which filler you use. I tried a "hot" filler, (Squadron Putty), on an Airfix Lightning and it melted through the thin styrene.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks guys for all the comments.

That's a gorgeous Hawk. It's odd that Airfix give you pilots but have the undercarriage doors moulded as one unit in the lowered position, but Italeri let you have the undercarriage raised but with no pilot. Sometimes the engineering of a kit can make a simple idea more difficult than it should be.

When I built my Red Arrows synchro pair I had to have one of each, and I agree that using filler in the Airfix u/c bay leaves you with a tricky job to get those complex curves done smoothly, but you have made a very convincing job of it.

A warning to anyone thinking about replicating this idea though; be careful which filler you use. I tried a "hot" filler, (Squadron Putty), on an Airfix Lightning and it melted through the thin styrene.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul you are spot. I was surprised to find no option for a closed undercarriage. I never thought of using filler, what I used was a thin piece of plastic card. I placed the lower unassembled wing on the card and used it as a rough template for the undercarriage covers then I cut it out then sanded to ensure a good fit. Once I was happy I used the thin card as a much better template and used thicker plastic card for the actual covers. Once cut and sanded to fit I used scrap plastic card to packout the undercarriage housings so the covers were slightly proud and glued in place. Once dry I just sanded down to get the wheel bulges. I am going to use the template again on a Red Hawk and a Canadian Air Force CT-155 Hawk.

I hope this helps someone?