Kit for a 10 year old?

somnas

Personally if it was me I'd try and find out what his favourite plane is...then buy him a kit and let him build and paint it! obviously some kits are more difficult than others but at 10 years old I was tackling Lancasters,Sunderlands,swordfish in fact anything I could lay my hands on ok so they were not outstandingly brilliant but that's how I learnt to get better,let him have fun with it,i bet he does better with whatever you give him than you think he will!

Edited by The Crusty one
  • Like 1

My 2-penn'orth: Airfix new tool Spitfire Mk IX. Little interior to worry about, nice shape, good fit.

I have just bought one for my 5 year old for Christmas - although I'll be helping him a fair bit.

regards,

Martin

I would go for an airfix starter kit, they are cheap and come with paint and should he enjoy it are fairly readily available.

But my main point is make sure you get the appropriate accessories:-

Using a liquid glue instead of a tube really improved my modelling.

I only got a pair of snips a couple of years ago, I always thought a knife was good enough, but snips are wonderful..

A emery board would be good.

Masking tape ( good for holding planes together while waiting for the glue to dry (as well as the obvious)

A nice knife (possibly not suitable?)

Acrylic paints (especially for a 10 year old who will probably be working in the bedroom or kitchen - no nasty fumes).

I am sure others can improve on this list but you get the idea.

It just so happens one of my LHS stocks a lot of the easy assembly kits from Hobbyboss.

That will be the kind of kit I get for him next time because now I can't get it time for Christmas.

For this Christmas my mom solved the problem and got the Italeri JAS Gripen 1/72 gift set so I have something to give him. I haven't built that kit myself so I don't know how it goes together but I will be able to help some before I go back home.

I might even take my current Revell 1/32 Spit with me so both of us can work on our projects :)

Again, thank you!

/Erik

Before it's too late, how about Armorfast 1/72 tanks? They have about 15 parts, they're really quite faithful renditions, and there's no mucking about with tailplanes falling off before they set and that sort of thing.

I've built both the Hobby Boss 1/72 Hawker Hurricane and MiG-15 kits and I think either would do well for an enjoyable build.

I'd give a slight edge to the MiG by virtue of less complex canopy framing if you plan to paint the finished model.

I did my first WWII plane kit when I was about 10, it was a P-40 and getting the canopy framing painted nicely put me off WWII stuff for a very long time.

And this 55 year old has just ordered the Quickbuild Challenger Tank - you can never be too old!

Dave

And this 46 yr old has just had two Airfix 1/72 go downbird on me. Sticklebricks for a while for me I think