Sepecat Cool Cat Jaguar trio Oh......

perdu

No gynaecologists were permanantly harmed during the changes to this LRMTSer

We've a little lens 1.5 mm at the upper face of the sender with its shiny reflector removed, bulged side out

Then over the lens there is a 2 mm little lens with ITS reflector removed too fitted centrally to the aperture thus having a pair of assymetric lenses quite a bit like the picture Steve found for me in his embarrassment (look Steve, there's really no need for you to be embarrassed for finding that pic, I'm very happy that you did)

(oh Just a thought, maybe I should be emba......) oopsadaisy (what prat ever says oopsadaisies like thingy in THAT movie, huh?)

Anyway

15706036034_a35d9046e9_z.jpg

And another view, this is staying like this now

It will prolly disappear when the windows are on but we know don't we ;)

16326683181_0e7342a593_z.jpg

Now off to 'filler' the aux doors a lot better than they are now

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I've popped the windows on over the LRMTS laser and it will probably be good when the windows have been detail finished

Polishing and refining the framing areas

16332299031_e43aed28ce_z.jpg

16308122586_089af25ae4_z.jpg

"On my honour I promise to make the edges as tidy as I can get them and then also to clean up after me"

Looks a bit messy so far, hence the oath (plus I was quietly swearing at the nose probe which has decided to sag under the lights)

I thought the Airfix RWR gubbins looked a bit 'mean', no wonder. On measuring I found it was 3mm too short over all

And lo, out of Italeri there comes a spare tailfin with its own RWR, which is the right length

Now I have to consider this, careful like.

Is it better to hack the whole fin off with a consequentail shape discrepancy at the base along the spine of the aircraft?

Or is it better to just lift the top of the two fins, then transfer the top from the Italeri one to the Airfix one, giving me possibly less buggeration factor five to worrit about?

16308127396_4277553f20_z.jpg

This is the two alongside, what to do huh?

The base of the fin is different by a slight curve on each tail spine

15714158593_8e2b041051_z.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I say hack off the Airfix fin top and put a sliver of plastic on its bottom edge. Let the glue set and shape to suit then put back on the fin.

• Like 1

I say hack off the Airfix fin top and put a sliver of plastic on its bottom edge. Let the glue set and shape to suit then put back on the fin.

I reckon you are right, that is the (revised) plan

Wish me luck I'm going in!

:thumbsup:

EX-FAAWAFU that is one of my favourite ever photgraphs of an aircraft

Lloyd takes many similar, brilliant pictures in Wales at the Mach Loop, stood astride the mountain as the jets perform.

I wonder sometimes if they are working the contrails just for him

edit

Hmm that picture, I'm almost aching to see how Steve tackles that canopy...

Edited by perdu

So I did

Had me more than a tad worrited too, but I suppose it counts as fixing what IS broke

Fixing what ain't goes against the grain mightily

15713628424_1d6f7d7b9b_z.jpg

16148677150_d800cf0f7f_z.jpg16150163467_2326a284e5_z.jpg

Two similar shots to check the sticking uprightness of the fin

15716141663_143d924734_z.jpg

Time to order the home moulding set now then

And finish off the laser nose

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

Are all the cool photos of Hawks?

I could do with one from 77 showing the upper beacon on the spine of my Jag from Bruggen at Finningley in that Jubilee year

Most pictures show the type of beacon fitted to the GR3s (and Lloyd's black Hawk) which is a triangular moulding with a quite pronounced round (paxolin?) base

( I know the joke chapses PAX o LIN, say it like that)

The Airfix kit shows a rounder beacon lens which I suspect was current in 77, looks a bit like the red tail light lens off a Hillman Imp, I had a few of them back in the day :)

Oh well off to trawl the net again

I suspect that the 77 aircraft had Red Anti-Collision Beacons whereas the later aircraft have Strobes which can be set to White (day) or Red (night).

On the aircraft I flew the strobes had a clear lens with what appeared to be a red bulb inside if that makes sense?

• Like 1

Have you seen these?

http://master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=311&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

As you probably have gathered, I use their stuff whenever it's available for a model - cheap for the quality and improvement they give. I can tell you the Tornado version makes a very effective thumb-piercing needle...

• Like 1

Have you seen these?

http://master-model.pl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=311&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56

As you probably have gathered, I use their stuff whenever it's available for a model - cheap for the quality and improvement they give. I can tell you the Tornado version makes a very effective thumb-piercing needle...

I was about to suggest the same. I've got one for my next Jag, and for several other models too. They are absolutely stunning and in my opinion the single best aftermarket improvement you can add to a model. Besides, they don't accidently break like the plastic (or resin) ones do.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

EX-FAAWAFU that is one of my favourite ever photgraphs of an aircraft

Hmm that picture, I'm almost aching to see how Steve tackles that canopy...

Well - to start with that photo's just about perfect to use to make a template/jig.......

Keep returning just to look at that photo. It's captivating...............Oh - as is your work on the jags of course Bill :)

The photo CT posted of the Arrows Hawk is a cracker too. Is it my eyes or are the NACA ducts on the noes (at least the larger front one) angled at the back rather than perpendicular to the longitudinal centre line. Not noticed that before.

A Drawing here on this page on the Large Scale Planes website for the MDC, not checked it for accuracy though.

Ta CT. That now resides on my hard drive. I will have to decide whether or not to go down the paint in the moulded MDC route - looks pretty good on your Arrows Hawks. Also crossed my mind that I might be able to make use the moulded MDC as a template/former. Maybe press the annealed wire into the moulded in recesses? All speculation as I haven't even decided what kit to use yet.

Sorry for the Drift Bill.

Wot am I saying? You started it - posting up your charity Hawk build on your jag thread.....

Better say something Jag related - I'm with Sten on those brass pitots. I've already acquired a couple. I figure that if I slowly accrue add-ons for my jags over a period of time then by the time I build em it'll feel like they cost nowt.

My particular prejudices (FWIW and no-one actually asked :)) on small scale finishing (in no particular order as they say on Strictly Come Dancing) are (i) Canopy joins - I reckon the effort on blending in the fixed section of a canopy pays dividends; and (ii) the fineness of bits and bobs like the pitots/aerials. There I 'spect no one cares wot I think. The missus and most judges I appear before certainly don't - so I can't think why anyone here would :)

• Like 3

... are the NACA ducts on the nose (at least the larger front one) angled at the back rather than perpendicular to the longitudinal centre line?.

It is interesting questions such as this that make my wife (& I suspect 99% of other non-modelling other halves) snort, laugh and leave the room; she would particularly enjoy the phrase "perpendicular to the longitudinal centre line". I love her to bits, but she will never understand why anyone should care about that any more than I get why her idea of paradise is digging the garden.

They do look angled, yes - but I've never driven a Hawk so would never have noticed.

• Like 2

OK OK I will be buying THREE of those gold plated metal pitots

And the associated AOA probey bits too no doubt

D'you know what I haven't even noticed whether the T2 has the AOA prod, off to the archives now ;)

Steve thread drift doesn't happen in here

Lateral conversation does, anyone popping in here expecting a short sharp Jag build best get away and wait for yours

Almost my only reason for getting involved in here is the lateral chat

Bl........... black flies

It's January, it's not very warm outside (Aerosols under the hot tap all the time whilst in use) and some blooming suicidal black fly decided to see if the white Tamiya Primer was dry yet on the Hospice Hawk

It wasnt :(:(:(

Good thing is it was ONLY the primer, I wonder if he'd have landed on the Arrows Red?

The fin on the Jagjet looks pretty good, I will be dribbling a thin line of cyano along the fault line/joint line

Just so there's a second line of defensive strength on it

And now for some bad news for Steve, the MDC moulded into the canopy isnt inset, I wish it had been. Mine would have had some thin paint to colour it 'here'

No it has been moulded proud so any paint has a tendency to swill around the edges, I couldn't even get the marker pen to stick to it as I wanted

:(

This sort of comparison build could do with a section of its own. The question of "what's the best kit for xyz" often comes up and it's not always easy to find the relevant threads and how well each kit builds up. I've a pair of Hase Jag's to do (and at least one Whif) so this is really helpful for me :)

• Like 1

Tidy work on the fin :thumbsup:

I 'spect no one cares wot I think. The missus and most judges I appear before certainly don't - so I can't think why anyone here would :)

'Cause we all worship you as a god-like deity with magical scale modelling powers.