Sepecat Cool Cat Jaguar trio Oh......

perdu

Be careful, not all Mk4s are the same. I think Steve explained the difference in his JP thread. Quintesentially the Mk4 fitted to the Lightning had metal 'sides' where the para pack is, the Mk4 in the JP did not.

Yes Debs I remembered the metal sided upper seat frame anyway, from way back when I was young and MB seats were all the rage in the new E E Lightnings :thumbsup2:

Thanks for that

I had a seat strapping in practice session before the T5 went tech at Wattisham many years ago when I was with 1600 sqn ATC

The next most exciting thing on that camp was wandering around inside the dome of 1ACC on the far side of the 'drome

"Keep your heads down below the line around the inside"

Radiation can cook yer nuts they said

So near then so far from paradise :(

And I'm glad we cleared that up about the MB4s

So the French didnt like their crews as much as we do

Edited by perdu

OK then where was I?

Ah yes making a Jaguar or three wasn't it

I have been fettling slowly while the lurgy dissipates and atmospherics affecting someone else's senses abates

Firstly, the intake doors on the Airfix one, filled ready for polishing and scribing

15654368453_62a9db8efa_c.jpg

And getting on with the seating arrangements, here represented by the Airfix slightly slender one, the beefier Hasegawa one and for the love of mike the wonderful Matchbox sofas

I see I still haven't wrapped the tape restraints around the Pavla, Airwaves and Tamiya tape harness on the 'nearly' finished real one :(

thinks must remember the upper strap fixings

16248317016_61999bbac9_c.jpg

If the Airfix one wasn''t so small I reckon I could make a go of that one, easily beefed up though

16248321726_ed8603c7d0_c.jpg

On ther T2 fuselage I have cut out the forward wheel well that will have its doors shut but the bracing strut will disappear inside later

Here is the pair of boxed in wells shown from the invisible side (later)

The fuel and power bays have been given the fuel uptake filler and the PU exhaust port like the ones the Airfix one got, noty clear here 'cos the flash swamped the visible detail

But they are there honest :)

16086692908_139dbdd0cd_c.jpg

So moving swiftly on I have modified Hasegawa's cockpit interior to make the rear seater's bit and also begun fabricating the front floor ready to pop side wall details in

For fun I also popped the two Pavla seats I have here in

And immediately found a biggy :(

The seats fit nicely into the front of the T2 but horrors lookit the back seat driver's leg room

A need to bang out would be an invitation to 'chop yer own legs off'

15651814244_a4e40f570b_c.jpg

This has made further progress on the Matchbox T2 somewhere between impossible and unlikely

I found a new line drawing to check out the T2 against the Matchbox toy and bunged on the intake bodies for the look of it

not nice at all

16088361397_ea71a28a5f_c.jpg

The intakes themselves are blooming horrible, sweet ffffannyadams like the ones on a Jaguar. Too curvy and tapered and way too long too

The intake behind the cabin is too far forward which doesn't matter because the rear of the canopy is in the wrong place too

The nose is too short and the entire canopy is wrong in most directions

16088387287_ff2e06b688_c.jpg

To paraphrase the classy Mr Cleese

This is a dead T2 toy

As a model it is no more

It is pushing up the ...

Joined the choir invis...

It is

No more

So as I put away my quill to get some respite I can inform you dear reader

I popped onto the 'bay and bought myself a Fujimi T2, here and now I hope there's no-one about to tell me its a repop of the Matchbox one :(

If it is a repop of the venerable Froggy I may not mind so much, though

I have fondish memories of that one

(still got a canopy from one of those lurking around the model room or its environs)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Doh no ;)

It isnt Fujimi

Its Italeri which has my fuddled old pate kinda worried now :(

Not sure why I fixated on Fujimi, suppose I wanted it to be a nice Fujimi type moulding

Oh well, whatever its on its way

I'm not a great fan of Italeri but it does have to be at least a decent bash at the bird

Doesn't it?

Oh well

If it turns out to be another Matchboxer I will be able to splice two fuselages and make a decent shot at it, it's only the basic length length problems that cut me off at the seams tonight

:(

Later grey scheme decals too, must be better than a very feeble Raspberry Ripple (the badges as printed are poor, very poor)

That's all right then :) For an orrible moment there I thought you were gonna do a Mitsibushi to Sepecat T2 conversion. Wouldn't put it past you........

Just found this:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8732-jaguar-kit-comparisons-172/

I daren't tell you how many hours I got in the 'Tub' with LTF at Binbrook. ;)

I didn't get any when I wos on the LTF :(

Edited by Fritag

she had to gloat didnt she

At least I sat in it once

and

At least I didn't have it go tech whilst I was in it, the MB ride wasn't really what I fancied at all

Reading about their serviceability on t'net sometimes you have to wonder if they did fly

But four of my cadets and I were in the shed when two of them had to GO

And boy didn't they

• Like 1

Hi,

Re: Pouring silicones - This may help:

If you find they take a long time to set, decant parts A & B into separate, capped containers (plastic pots/tubes work better than glass jars) and let stand in warm water for a few minutes, then mix and pour. This reduces the viscosity (to capture finer detail) and also reduces the setting time.

Regards MD.

• Like 4

Think I must have gone round Britmodeller with my eyes shut for the last month to have missed this thread, Very impressive detailed work again Bill. Will be watching with interest as I have 2 Hasagawa kits in the stash to do.

For the casting I never used a kit but have found this RTV nice and easy to use and for the resin I use a product called Easyflo 60 think its the same resin as in the sylemaster kit.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark and doc

I will look to be getting my mitts on those suggested items, your recommendation is good enough for me

Now about those tubes/containers for mixing, do we think a pack of assorted shot glasses in acrylic would do for mixing and separating the resins when stirred

I have a whole new world of learning ahead I see

All this stuff to be purchased next week I hope

As for the T2

Thanks for that link to the comparisons page Steve, looks as if the Italeri T2 will do nicely for me

At least it isnt a cheapo ropop of the Matchbox one :thumbsup:

The Matchbox has wings too far forward, cockpit rear decking like wise and a bloody awful canopy

I might make a dio with a stripped down T2 in a hangar somewhere, using SOME of its horrible bits, but probably wont

The Italeri one seems to have a nice cockpit (from the review pics ) but awful guns, still nothing too awful so we'll see

Three piece bang seats too

Quite looking forwards to that now

Where's my Hasegawa jet? Time for a 3 now then

As for the T2

Thanks for that link to the comparisons page Steve, looks as if the Italeri T2 will do nicely for me

The Italeri one seems to have a nice cockpit (from the review pics ) but awful guns, still nothing too awful so we'll see

Looking forward to piccies of the Italeri T bird and you views on how it compares with the Hasegawa.

Oh. BTW. probably a typo - but it's gun - not guns for the T-bird. T-bird only had one 30 mm Aden cannon - the port one - so if any of the T bird kits have two - it's wrong.

:)

• Like 1

Oh no mate you must be wrong

Italeri AND Matchbox wouldn't get that wrong surely

;)

I did know that, faired in starboard banger

Port one banging

Yes so far I know from looking at the debris that Matchbox has it wrong and from looking at the sprue shots Italeri might just be on the naughty step too

Aha take it back Bill. Looks as if Italeri have moulded a blank port for the right hand side yeehawww!

pictures later but I'm popping on some of the Airwaves etch around the cannons on the GR1and adding brake door details to the etch that Hasegawa is getting

Airfix is still in for my home brew brake panels if I can sort out the rectangular slots

That etch stuff

beats me again, it looks silly stuck over the outside of the cannon bulges :(

Just silly so I've ditched it

I will be adding six holes and four slots to the vent areas with old reliable modelling knife and hot spike technology

The holes should be the tips of six tubes anyway, holes look daft if you know about the vent tubes :)

The etchy stuff might get a rerun later on the Hase bird, but ah huv me doots, ye ken

Thanks Mark and doc

I will look to be getting my mitts on those suggested items, your recommendation is good enough for me

Now about those tubes/containers for mixing, do we think a pack of assorted shot glasses in acrylic would do for mixing and separating the resins when stirred

I have a whole new world of learning ahead I see

Very welcome Bill

For mixing cups and stirrers do the following

1 Enter a McDonalds eating establishment wearing a big coat with big pockets.

2 order a coffee or tea

3 take coffee or tea to the milk sugar ketchup area.

4 add milk sugar etc and at the same time fill pockets big hadfulls of them wooden stirrers and those waxed paper pots for ketchup

5 take coffee or tea and scarper!

I invested in some plastic squirty type bottles to decant and store the resin in keeps the dribbles and mess at bay just wipe the end of the nozzle when you done.

Its a rewarding learning process. Do you have any lego?

• Like 4

It's no good complaining Debs

Those Q'ey peeps kept encouraging junior rocket pilot thoughts in the jet jockeys

Cant possibly complain if some of them stuck

Lego is on the list

purely for purposes of making reasonable attempts at moulding

of course

Quicky

The Italeri T2 has landed (early)

And I like it mucho mucho

Getting on with it now

Steve, very fine detail, similar to Hasegawa GR and with a very reasonable cockpit tub and seats

Blanking for the stbd gun, good detailing for the port gun's venting slots'n'holes

And unique so far of any model I have yet seen, the teardrop fairings under the fuselage behind the guns with their vents in too

Nasty ejector marks on every wheel though :(

It ain't all gravy, I'll have a bit of modelling to do, the u/c is rather like the Hasegawa's, not quite a cigar for these

(Oh yes, the transparencies, beeeyootiful)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Look at the state of this

This is what was inside the cardboard packaging

15668909853_71a9c3b1f9_c.jpg

I have to say I expected crushed polystyrene

16102644099_6478f12ea4_c.jpg

but no all is OK inside, so my man got a positive feedback

Nice detail inside the fuel and power bays, though I have a little bit to do to the front of the main gear wells

And the fuel and exhaust items are puny as something from punyville

I'll beef them up before the yellow green coat goes on

16287937252_e5c83c17ab_c.jpg

Some detail inside the cockpit walls and here in the centre the unique to Italeri (and Sepecat) vent bulges that sit aft of the gun bay

[url=https://flic.kr16288765255_0346709264_c.jpg

To my eye only Airfix's main wheel legs get even close to the real aspect of the Jag and as I have alreday made the Airfix legs to the 'image' I have in my head the others will need to be close in 'look'

Here the Airfix jobbies are on the outside, the strange idea tht Italeri have for the legs/actuating and shocjk absorbing struts is left inner and the beginnings of a modifeid leg is at right inner

A piece of Evergreen square rod is fitted to a flat filed onto the leg

The flat needs to line up with the swinging arm as it supports the shocker, like on the Airfix legs at the outside locations

16288780735_63d7631fc5_c.jpg

This looks like random corners of a polystyrene scrapyard but its all going to come good later

15668902623_8f522a68ca_c.jpg

Some spurious ridges needed whipping away, like so

16286965451_635c0a928e_c.jpg

As ye see I ahve attached the upper brackets to both now

They have to get a coat of all over cyano to add solidity to them before the vital shaping is carved into them

tomorrow

16101422100_0f8572a6fd_c.jpg

With the start made on the Italeri u/c I decided to mess about with the equally wrong Hasegawa legs

Yukk and oops

Here is the modified Airfix leg, stage left the beginnings of the modified Italeri leg stage right

And centre stage Mr Hasegawa's offering

Again, no cigar

16262828896_868530ee4c_c.jpg

These had spurious ribs round them too

why why why, just how hard is it to look at a photograph?

Anyway, offski chum gettouta it

16287924542_31133510c4_c.jpg

So here we are with their new bracket pieces, also awaiting the cyanostiffnness treatment

16288750485_e111323ab5_c.jpg

Anyway, here's a gratuitous shot of the dumb gun muzzles and the really not bad bang seat, each seat gets a pair of side panels

Looks OK so far, maybe no need to contact Hannants/Pavla for furniture for this bird

16262832046_0a46fb83b5_c.jpg

One of the seats in full, a view inside the tub and this Jag even has the overwing pylons, a Phimat (sp?) pod and the AN--lots of letters underwing pod too

16286976881_2fee3de7d8_c.jpg

If we wonder where I might give praise to Hasegawa, here's some

The Hase kit has similar surface detailing to the Italeri offering but has by far the best jet pipe of any of the four I have now seen

The reheat petal type thingies on the Hasegawa model even have the eight little hinged dooberrys around the pipe

Excellento

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

As light relief (OK I do have a butterfly mind sometimes, making FOUR aircraft at the same time makes me jittery) from making three sets of undercarriages I have popped a few layers of Alclad on the tail end of Jag#1 the Airfix GR1

Steel for the unpainted 'gets very 'ot' bit and some burnt exhaust for the jetpipes

Then a mist of burnt exhausty colour over the 'steel' area and a mist of steel over the burnt exhaust jetpipes

15705287003_7f4bd9ef79_c.jpg16139311657_ff2b64813f_c.jpg

To make the jetpipes a bit less 'doh' I took a couple of old, cheap ballpoint pens that had dried out and cut two lengths to BE the interiors of the pipes and then to give me the inner flame thingy, where the hot comes out I took the end caps off them pens and reversed them and bunged them inside the pipes and drilled out the blanking piece on the kits jetpipes

This didnt actually make the innards look exactly right but did give me a tripple moulded rib effect set of holes down inside that looked better than the blank plate across the original Airfix jetpipes

[16299241526_a4be0f6c11_c.jpg

Althouigh I might be getting carried away with the undersides detailing (that no bugger will be likely to see) I do intend adding the various upper surface vents and blodgetts it needs too, some of the upper surface after filling and beginning to get the upper details better

16138978359_7cb110e679_c.jpg

Also been makingthe clear bits so I can close up the cockpit soon

Here's the new front screen section ready for final trimming

16324533562_0f888c5a08_c.jpg16137832448_63fdd1ccfe_c.jpg

And I have been refining the nose wedge section for the LRMTS (?) window, a few strokes with a fine needle file to get a better wedge

we all need a better wedge sometimes I 'spect

Here's the cut acetate window readay for trimming after 'Clear'ing

16138012100_f55105e27a_c.jpg

Now I havethe front 'window' roughly right it is time to look inside it, which has taken hours of Net trawling the result iof which is this picture of the wedge

Whether this is right or whether somebody decided to put 'something inside the hole' for display purposes I don't know

STEVE?

anyway yertez

16138805248_aed50a2053_c.jpg

Which I have dealth with by painting the innards black and adding a Little Cars 1.5mm clear light lens

15706448113_8fecabf99e_c.jpg16324565611_90ec1b3251_c.jpg

So this is it so far for the Jags

Er

There may have been some confusion amongst our EX naval friends

No as far as I am aware the Red Sparrows don't have their own Hospice, but who knows? Back in the day when there actually was a Defence Budget instead of the leftovers from the Foreign Aid Bribery fund maybe they could have

Anyway, I will repeat for anyone who noticed that I am in a club that has an ANNUAL CHARRIDDEE CONTEST

The contestants all bring to the Christmas Club Meeting and party a kit that they wish to donate to the Great Game

The kits must be buildable with all the parts and transfers inside and must be wrapped for anonymity in Christmas paper

All participants make a small fixed donation to the club treasurer, for which they are invited to delve inside a big black bin bag and remove one 'Present'

Upon opening the treasurer then photgraphs the victim with his 'present' and issues the order

Complete this model in time for it to be placed on the competition table in february next (this) year

This therefore gives the comp sec a guaranteed heaving table in february and gets our modelling muscles working double quick time

Anyone missing the deadline has to donate further funds to pour charity which is normally the Children's Hospice, hence the name of the competition, The Hospice Trophy

Possibly less fun than an aerobatic team's retirement but...

I picked out a shiny silver paper wrapped New AIRFIX HAWK in Red Arrows livery

This one is the newest moulding and would make a very nice Red if anyone wanted one

I didnt :(

The model HAS to be made OOB and may not have any aftermarket detailing

So on I went

Built up basic, nicely moulded and some care needed to get the cab area in the right place

guess what?

16139315197_5a041f6a55_c.jpg

I didnt get the floor pieces down far enough and that left the rear section just a bit proud

had to cobble the frames a bit to get the rear and the canopy pieces in place

Worth anyone else taking note of that? I wonder

16325186165_385e560ace_c.jpg

The canopy has its MDC moulded in and needs painting with a steady hand for realisticnness Doh

Here's a picture of MDC I trawled off the net, taking this from the fabulous set of pictures by Lloyd H

This may have been from the Mach Loop but anyway shows what the MDC looks like from above

It is shiny enough so I have not even attempted it on the model

16325182925_20cb07f1a0_c.jpg

Here's the canopy masked off ready for a coat of Tamya White Primer when the sun comes out to warm the garage a tad

16138972399_1fe74df7a3_c.jpg

Then a dash of Arrows Red ready for a shine up and the decals

Which I'm not looking forwards to, the decals for the instruments were a real pig to install,

So

Ho hum this is me for now, signing off and getting ready for a trip out to dine

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Whether this is right or whether somebody decided to put 'something inside the hole' for display purposes I don't know

STEVE?

anyway yertez

16138805248_aed50a2053_c.jpg

That's something some has decided to put in the nose for display purposes :(

This is a real LRMTS:

http://sepecat.info/images/43-moore2/willm-03.jpg

Which I'm afraid to say took me nit very long by googling Sepecat Jaguar LRMTS and clicking on images.......Always have to add the Sepecat or you get lots of car adverts - irrespective of what else you type.......

BUT in better news - I think your 1.5mm little lens does the biz quite nicely indeed :)

So all's well that ends well.....

BTW. Nice piccie of the Hawk MDC. I think I'll ave that........

• Like 1

I knew really that a proper search would do it but with so much spuriousness out there on t'net I was cheating by letting you do the harder bit for me

Good picture and I might just do a bit of lens adjusting to get a bit closer to that bibblybobbly inners look but I might also wait 'til you've done yours to see how you do it :)

Anyway, if you like Lloyd's fantastic pic so much here's ALL of it, the man is a fantastically talented photographer

16326323251_99eeb94a28_z.jpg

Now then that LRMTS

If I take the shiny part off the back of the little lens I will just have a rounded blob of great clarity

I wonder if I can carve out the laser sender receiver blobs

Not going to be able to DO the wires though, not in there

I'd need to be Barbie's gynaecologist to get in there that small and delicate :(

Hmmmm

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Good work on the Jag tail pipes and the shiny back on the little lens does separate, sometimes a little too easily!

I got caught out with the hawk floor too, had to file a bit off the rear air-con cover and the coming above the rear instrument panel to get them to fit., There is a thread on here regarding dealing with the MDC on the Airfix hawk by running a water based grey wash into the engraved lines then once dry cleaning away the excess with a damp cotton bud later. It is also mentioned on a Flory models video during his 10 hawk commission build. Ill see if I can find it. Did this with my Hawk but the grey wash I used was a bit too dark but never mind it looked good.

• Like 1