Sepecat Cool Cat Jaguar trio Oh......

perdu

:)

That is how I intend tackling the LRMTS head too, I made a solid block of clear polystyrene do the job last time I did one

This time I want it just a bit 'nicer'

As for this kit, I found it to be shape accurate, with detail wibbles

So is the Hasegawa one but at least Airfix made the slots in the airbrake, slots

Hasegawa made them into little blocks sticking out of the brakes although much of the Hase detailing is a bit nicer than the Airfix one's

Matchbox however, fish of a different kettle :(

Matchbox's kit choices were always a bit different, lovely biplanes like the Fury or Seafox

Tempting double duty types like the Tempest where they tried to make a decent fist of mix'n'match with radial and inline engine choices

But sometimes their 'modelling' just didn't hit the spot for me, like this T2.

My verdict?

Close enough for government work but no ceegar

I will have to do far more to the T2 than either GR 1 model

As it happens I don't mind modelling, it's what I do

At the end of this process I expect to have three nice enough Jaguars

Then I can sit back and revel in an object lesson from Steve Fritag when he finishes his Hawk(s) and hits Sepecat for six

Edited by perdu

This picture has the exhaust duct that sits in the brake well, still awaiting info on whether its for an APU, but I think it is

It is Bill. Actually called an 'Air Generator' in the pilots Flight Revfrence Cards - but same thing.

You started it as one of the last things in the Pre-Start checks and then used it to start No 1 Engine and then checked it had shut down at the beginning of the After Start checks.

• Like 1

Thank you Steve, nice to know I was in the ball park

Some of you will have the Aeroplane Illustrated Icons mag/book about the Jaguar with the iconic pink Jag on the cover

I know Steve and others do and while looking at the front cover at the great front on view I could see that Airfix did get the front end of the transparencies wrong

The planform of the kit's front section (wot, for convenience I will identify as 'the screen' ) is almost rectangular whereas the real thing has a lovely curved taper and a double bubble where the fuselage meets the side windows

That tapers round under the flat middle screen section to make a complex panel at the joint

I decided to tackle the screen mould so I could get the shape more like the Jag

Here is the screen being reshaped and prepared for a quicky test mould

15888610059_d1ef750114_z.jpg

Here's the newly reshaped starbord window which is much more like the proper one

15887414210_98848bb88f_z.jpg

And the other side, nice curves huh

15887257488_edeb715ace_z.jpg

The fuselage needs reshaping too, short work for a double curved needle file to reshape the upper faces leaving a new faired in outer coaming

16072762991_a6536ee234_z.jpg

First canopy pulled of the moulds and rough trimmed to test it out

16074691305_fbd030100d_z.jpg[

Here's the rough trimmed test of the front screen added to the other one

The reshaped screen lead in shows quite well methinks

16074687395_f5400ebacc_z.jpg[

This is the front section and canopy being fit trimmed, not down in the well yet at the front but after this I am happy to begin moulding the 'good ones'

16072755611_0391c0bd33_z.jpg

Now that it is almost Christmas the Curse of the Hospice trophy has struck

Some may recall that every Christmas my club demands we give three pounds to the treasurer and dive into a black plastic bag in order to withdraw a Seasonally wrapped parcel, this contains a 'kit' which has been donated by a club member

Our only redress aginst getting a pile of rubbish is Lady Luck, so far I've been fairly lucky. Puma, Sea Fury and this year's grand 'gift'

The brand new Airfix Red Arrows Hawk which HAS to be completed out-of-the-box by February

No enhancements no after market at all unless there was AM in the box when we open it

So I may have to do bits of unlicensed Hawk occasionally, I dont want to pay the huge fine for failure...

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Really nice work there. I love how you think nothing of crash molding new parts and can breeze through them in now time - and producing quality parts !

I too was just pondering on the skill, speed and confidence with with which Bill wields a file and knocks out moulds and mouldings.......

Edited by Fritag

Glad to see the clothes peg again. I have to thank you for that, after your scout build I went out and bought a packet of wooden ones.

And I agree with Hendie & Steve about the crash moulding.

Guys you are too generous, but thank you

Steve I spent years in engineering, tool making and machine setting

A needle file was never far away when minor tool fettling became necessary

and crash moulding is so easy I get surprised at how many folks shy away from what is a basic skill

Not every shape needs vacuum to get it done

And oh yes Aaron, clothes pegs.

They need to have hung clothes out to dry for a while so they get worn and dampened and dried and dampened etc

Fresh ones dont worlk too well for me

Let us know how you get on with your nice new ones

;)

• Like 1

As it is airbrake time I also took a look at the Matchbox T2

Hmm

15864842248_4a790ed5e6_z.jpg

Interesting, basic shape not too bad but many areas of detail are underplayed

Over deep panel lines and some, as on the airbrakes need redoing

but as I am in airbrake mode I will probably open the misshapes up and make four new doors instead of two

The gun bay shapes are miles off :(

We shall see, this might just be the Jag I enjoy building most, I wonder which 'owner' to model

I could go ETPS as in the crude transfer choice in the box, but not decided yet

I rather like camo T2s, but not the SoOAF (or was it RSOAF)

I remembered that I've got the Matchbox T bird in the attic. Got it out. Looked at it. Put it back :) Am looking forward immensely to seeing what you do with it Bill :) I think the two seater is a fantastically attractive aircraft; especially when cleaned up without external stores.

We used to program regular training in 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 air combat (aka a bit of fun) - god knows what justification we used as a ground attack squadron; plus the fact anyone dogfighting a jag in search of a guns kill for real would clearly be 'tuppence short of a shilling. Anyways - whenever possible we had the engineers drop the tanks and cbls and flew them clean - it had a very good 8g load limit IIRC - so it'd be perfectly proper to see a wrap around T2 absent external stores. Of course you may have to paint up a 1/72 scale pilot complete with huge grin on his face...........

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Would he also have a passenger with a huge grinning fun face too?

Just 'cos...

The two colours wrap around sounds like a plan then

Some time ahead yet though of course

I'm not brave enough to build three Jags at the same time, my name isnt Friday

;)

• Like 2

My assumption that building more than one model at a time would result in more completed models has been proven to be hopelessly incorrect. Just the opposite in fact. What actually happens is that I don't spend enough time on any of them. When my Tornado, Fishing Boat and ASK21 are done, It's one at a time for me. Probably.

• Like 1

Probably

Not sure I will see that from you doc, but...

as for the ONE I'm building (so far) I did the LRMTS cutaway with a few gentle file strokes ready for window making soon

Maybe I should call Safestyle

Or not

15471196163_ef5cd9a813_z.jpg

And gave myself some spokeshaving to do (for another model a century away)

15903435038_25a852e653_z.jpg

In the quest for airbrake accurac... reasonable lookness, I carved a heat former

You know what from

Big radius on the sides to form the curved shape of the fuselage at the brake panel

16065080536_bc7ba28b88_z.jpg

Then pulled a few sheets of 15 thou onto the former with a tea light heat source

not nice, idea rejected anyone want a part worn clothes peg?

15903589240_a432cd0724_z.jpg

with that dumb idea disposed of I tried another way, bearing in mind I have at least two and possibly three sets of airbrakes to make I decided to bring in a little industrial thinking

First cut out a prototype practise brake and make its inner parts too, brakes open you can see the strengthening portions and I feel I need to have them visible

so prototype here

16065060586_92a4d9393e_z.jpg

Apologies for this next blurry picture, I thought it was OK when I wiped the memory card, there was a better one there honest

This brake has three components, outer shape to fit the hole, middle section to give stiffness and allow air to bleed through the long slotted holes and a thicker front section that has the hinges and operating ram attachments on it

16090870805_b76e3c30e7_z.jpg

After deciding that this will work when the shape is refined I made some (ten) outerpanel blanks

15471183783_dd7b5f234a_z.jpg

The black you see isnt where the layers are apart, it is black marker pen on theinner face of the outer panel, put there for me to mark the holes out

put them all together in the vice and cleaned them up and sized them up

16065067396_37fd89fbf9_z.jpg

And squared them up

15468541794_ee996af301_z.jpg

Then I just have to clean up the hinge ends and free off the excess ready for slotting and also making the inner portions

16088938311_e7d41ce719_z.jpg

may not be doing much more for a day or two, the gaffer tells me she will be needing some help from me

Maybe she has a visitor on the way?

Is this a timely time to wish you ALL a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year?

'course it is!

have good times folks

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Well yes

It is probably not practical for me

YET

I have only done little casting jobs using do-it-yourself silicone rubber to make the moulds and plastic padding for the moulding material

i should have picked up a casting kit from Telford

And bent people's ears for know-how

It will probably be good for my soul to knock out a few this way

maybe

;)

b

Should have put a casting kit on your christmas pressie list Bill :); I'm with Hendie on how surprisingly easy it is and how useful it is.

That said you'd still have had to make a left and right airbrake original; you couldn't easily have moulded in the airbrake holes; so they'd have to be individually drilled out; and I 'spect the Perdu production line will soon be knocking out airbrakes at a prodigous rate of knots.......

Can you still use the carved peg as a former to get the curve into the airbrakes? Tape one to the peg; dip it boiling water? Just trying to get you value for money from the peg work :)

BTW. How did the plastic canopy masters stand up to the heat from the crash moulding? No crazing or deformation? How many attempts do you think they'll stand up to?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

You two will no doubt be right in that casting is a nettle I will need to grasp, but for now its a max of three pairs

(unless I sells some later) for these three. My factory can cope with them :)

Holes will be a problem as you say Steve but leaving indents to be cleared might work

I have been using the 1.0mm screwdriver tip from a multitool set I picked up at Lidl t'other week to impress/punch em through in my blanks

I may still be able to do that with the peg Steve, I might make an extra one to use as a test mule

And the canopies are as good as I left them

But I did have to alter their shapes to suit the real McCoys, no surface crazing yet and I expect to get a few more before I grasp the new buck mould problem to my bosom

If?

This is some impressive work. I admire your patience for building such a nasty kit! The improvements you've made will turn it into a winner I'm sure.

I did make it myself around 6 months ago... Made it and then gave up! Here's a quick snap of my poor effort, I hope it will inspire you on to greater things!

Dan

SDC16250.jpg

• Like 1

Ah

so that's what the decal sheet would have been if I'd had one

The Jag looks OK, soon sort that out with a lick of paint

or two

The model's a bit basic but accurate shape wise I reckon

I'm happy to carry on with it

hey

nice big cutting mat, makes me feel a bit cheapo ;)

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well

Christmas is a coming and the...

Oh yes, it isnt yet is it, kinda missed the buzz this time round

I've been full of grade one, weapons strength lungy lurgy, so not much modelling has been going on

I have I hope been partly responsible for introducing our new friend ascoteer to the party though so I claim five bonus house points please for keeping my eye on the ball

When I closed the last piece I was fuddling about with new face panels for airbrakes, expecting to use about three sets on these builds

I am sorta no further in with these

I cut the ten slot holes in the outers using a small screwdriver as a punch

Hmm, judgement reserved as yet so no

Not yet photogenic enough

So I had a think, slowly with additional incohal and decided to pop over to the T2 to get a small start on its decidedly 'odd' bits

The airbrakes are just stunted lines deeply enmatchboxed in nearly the right place and nearly the right size

So out they had to come ready for the usual parked Jaguar open brake doors so that vital services can be accessed by interested parties

Unless they had more interesting parites inna mess last night ;)

With fuel on one side and the power dooberri on the nearside (for we left hand drive folks in GB)

I have no pictures yet of the holes in the dense green Matchplastix, happily though I do have the holes

Lots of sculpting to do when I feel more like a modeller again, at pres I am more like an ex-modeller on steroids because the doc says I need a short course of steroids to kill the weaknesses the bug has loaned to me

It is only a loan, soon be back to norma... no I mean soon be better than NOW

When I was getting a multiplicity of Jags in stock for the build I also collected a few Jagged bits from the aftermarketeers

I got the Pavla seat that I couldnt see well enough to paint, thus having to butcher a perfectly good armchair and fettle it to winthin a ninch of its life, see pics a page or so ago

Also got the etchy set from Airwaves (Hannants of course, without them and paypal I would be somewhat fettered these days) designed to suit the Hasegawa Jag

And as an afterthought I bought the Pavla cockpit set too EEEEK resin

Anyway razorsaw akimbo I got hacking off the cockpit moulding base (Hasegawa kit again, do these people not see there are other kits that would welcome some mollycoddling?)

Now I had been planning to use it on....the Hasegawa one, naturlich but just on the orfcharnce I popped it into the Matchy body, just to see of course

Hmm nice

15556727324_68e6d9b4ee_z.jpg

Not going to happen though, but it prompted a rare dash of 'modelling'

I made a couple of flat sidewalls and plonked an over wide floor panel in

15556637954_a21834d261_z.jpg

then separated the floor to resize it, now I have a floor unit with the proper room for a nosewheel built in

Which is a good job, 'cause I'd already popped a little hole in the wheelwell

16153498906_e92a70e959_z.jpg

Not much else happened around her 'cept number one (and only) son bought his dad something useful for Chrimbo

15556973494_963caacdb9_z.jpg

I show this for two purposes

One I love my new eyes, at last I can see in fullwidescreen normality the models Im making

two, a little boast.

Do you see there, just below and left of my fantastic grandchildren, a bright red obtangular item, sat atop a MBB105 box?

That Laydeees and Gennulmans is a 3" by 8" piece of unused, unFADED RAF Dayglo tape that didnt get attached to a JP3, Slingsby T21 or 31 or any other possible recipients in the early seventies

I know I will never use it

but I have it, it is mine, the man who said I can have it has left a certain military force and now it is impossible for him to be indicted

And I found it on the floor and saved it from becoming FOD

Oh yes and the unidentifiable man in the picture has no chance/risk of being identifed by an angry mob

I shaved the fungus off yesterday, I was so full of cold it was uncomfortable

Praise the lord for razor blades

in other news

I made some wheels for something else

16153541776_0325161a6b_z.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

Them eyes

Weird 'tis true but blimey they make a real difference but now I have to learn the art of materials handling whilst wearing them

:)

As certain retired but obviously still missing the excitement jet driver is missing a minor fix of Jaguarery, heres a bit

A small bit

Well several small bits to be fair

'cos I am making the products of three manufacturers all of the same basic machine it makes some sense to ensure the same bit of each airframe corresponds with 'the next one' so at points (like this) I'm working each one with its buddy

Airbrakes and undercart seem like obvious places to start and we already know there is no 'matching set' on those

so how about the underpinnings?

Well not too promising either :(

Airfix's main legs we saw earlier a blob on the side of the leg is supposed to be the shock absorbing ram and I cut those off ages ago

as here

15955774066_e40574f900_z.jpg

And new upper brackets tacked on with a quick flash of the MIG welder

Well I would have if they'd been a bit sturdier but this IS Airfix styrene so liquid poly followed up with a skinfilm of cyano to add STIFF

15767614538_2f961ca20e_z.jpg

New shockers cut out of polyrod with a fescalised bit carved out at the bottom

(did I really fall for the old fescalised gag? :( dohhhhh)

15981545815_0ec84d47c3_z.jpg

So having seen what a dogsbrekkie they made individually it seems I will have to build three lots of u/c to a similar standard

I find that the Hasegawa leg and shockers, whilst different to the Airfix ones are still wrong and their shocker fits to the axle beam way too far down the beam and is skinny as twiggy (if you have to ask, well please make it a separate request or we'll be here after Steve finishes his first Hawk)

Then I looks at the Matchbox legs... and draws deep on my can of sipping lager spluttering

Airfix sqared for wrong shape and just a bit sad, this Matchbox is far closer to the Matchbox toy status than their delightful little Hawker Fury was

Here are the Hasegawa and Matchbox sprues for your mutual entertainment

15589754453_67b2f9a069_z.jpg

As you see I havent started there yet

I finished off with Airfix's main gear legs first

New brackets up and behind the shocker brackets and a pair of retraction jacks also added fitted and awaiting the cyano strength through blocked up nose and joy treatment

16183749086_b23fcc0d59_z.jpg

So, happy that I will have a reasonable looking setup I addressed the real pain in the sittupon situation

The nose wheel legs

None were right

(of course)

But one was righter than the others

And one wasn't

OK out of yer misery quickly tonight, it was Airfix that gave us the nearest to real unit, even moulding the studdy things the tow bar hooks on to

Which I promptly broke off one side of mine, early doors

none of them give us a forked nose leg, but they each make a poor fist of giving us a triangular lump we can modify

Guesses?

Airfix best again

I have bifurcated the Airfix leg, the pleasure of doing the same with the others 'awaits'

Good job I am NOT superdetailing these innit

16022089338_828557882f_z.jpg

Matchbox left Airfix middle Hasegawa right

White bit is repair to tow points ;)

The centre of the fork support strut is a hollow box of flanges that the fork hangs out of and the shocker drops down behind

We have to open the front and make the cross beam for the towbar run across

like this

16207723911_1c66e713a4_z.jpg

this is as far as the Airfix one needs to go for me except a few rods and brackets

Haswegawa's is similar but less well done

Matchbox?

That will be for another day I fear

(yes FEAR)

nightly night

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

nice detailing - looks like your new eyes are working!

I couldn't do without my optivisor. I just bought a cheapy to see how I liked it and it's now the first thing I grab when I enter the modeling room. (The cheapy version has last me for over 18 months now and still going strong)