Italeri B-57 B Canberra

Mario

Hello everybody,
Managed to get some good daylight photos of my recently finished 1/72 Martin B-57 B Canberra today. In fact it is a restored model, but the repairs were nearly as time consuming as building a new model from the box. The biggest problems were the bend and broken landing gear, wrong colors of wheel wells, bomb bay and weapons and extremely silvering decals, especially the tail codes. The landing gear problems were solved by strenghtening the parts with small nails (same technique that was used with the P-61 B a couple of weeks ago). All bombs were separated from the bay and pylons and newly painted. The silvering of the decals was the biggest problem and as they were already sealed with clearcote, I tried a rather unorthodox approach: making small cuts with a new and sharp hobby knife blade and then brush on Tamiya´s extra thin plastic cement. This worked surprisingly well in this case. Also tried some postshading of the raised panellines with pastel chalk dust and archieved paint fading effects by drybrushing some panels with a lighter paint. Chipping was done with a silver pencil. Finally the complete model was sealed with “Emsal” and Tamiya´s acrylic flat. The canopy wasn´t easy to re-open, so I left it closed. Otherwise I had improved the cockpit a little bit.
As I´m currently working on Airfix´ B-26 Invader, the Canberra shifted back into my focus of interest, as it was the Invader´s replacement. It was also one of the few foreign concepts that were adopted by the USAF and one of the first aircraft that flew combat missions in the Vietnam war.
I also have the Airfix kit of the B-57B in the stash that allows the build of a RB-57 and Italeri´s B-57 G that had a pioneer role in the development of laser guided weapons.
Best regards,
Mario

Canberra2IMG_2379_zps9fa2ecdd.jpgIMG_2372_zpsd3aefb1d.jpgIMG_2371_zps5ba1f843.jpgIMG_2377_zps1ac196f8.jpgCanberra1IMG_2381_zps4ece57cb.jpg

Edited by Mario
  • Like 19

Hi mario!

A few weeks back i asked about adding nose weight to Italeri’s b-57g and if so would the kit landing gear be able to supprt the kit plus additional weight. I am really interested on how you strengthened said parts. Could you please elaborate? Some pics if you have them please?

Thanks in advance!

Tipper

• Like 2

Hi Tipper,

thank you for your interest! Unfortunately I have no photos of the repair of this specific model, but I made some pics to describe what I have done. First picture shows the tools you need. A motor tool is not a must, but makes things much easier.

The sprue shall represent the broken landing gear leg. First you have to sand the area where it is broken and find the middle. I usually begin with a 0,5mm drill and then widen the hole. Cut the front and rear end of a 1mm nail and glue it with CA-glue into the hole. You can do the same thing with the other side of the landing leg and push it onto the nail. insert some epoxy glue to the gap. This gives you time to test if the new landing gear strut has the right lengh. In case you are not happy with the result, you can tear it apart again and the side with the epoxy glue will give in, as the CA-glued side has a stronger bond.

r,IMG_2393_zps6a7a414f.jpg

IMG_2395_zpsd7a56e79.jpg

IMG_2396_zps2f8c30ad.jpg

In case the whole landing gear is too weak, as happened in case of my Airfix P-61 Black Widow, glue a piece of 2mm brass tube (Albion Alloys) to the rim and push it into the nail. Of course you can add some details to the brass tube like landing gear scissors for example.

IMG_2402_zpse1ce8c8a.jpg

I hope that helped you. If there are more questions: Feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hello again Mario!

What i basically have to do is saw the strut in half, bore holes on both sides of the strut, insert a thin metal rod in the hole, then glue the parts back... Guess the trick there is aligning properly before boring said holes... Tricky but i’ll give it a shot.

Super tip nonetheless Mario, thanks!

Tipper

• Like 2

Nice refurb Mario, the undercarage legs on the Italeri kit are one of the bad points of the kit, but one of the easiest to fix, I've taken to using FROG or Matchbox legs, which are not as good looking as the Italeri units but are much stronger, luckily for me I have a good Canberra spares holding. There is a white metal set from SAC which are good but quite costly. I've been retro fitting the FROG/ Matchbox legs as the models need them and on new-builds.

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9357325-italeri-b-57-now-has-a-leg-to-stand-on

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8557400-b-57-modifications-repair-refurbishment-

John

• Like 2

Nice refurb Mario, the undercarage legs on the Italeri kit are one of the bad points of the kit, but one of the easiest to fix, I've taken to using FROG or Matchbox legs, which are not as good looking as the Italeri units but are much stronger, luckily for me I have a good Canberra spares holding. There is a white metal set from SAC which are good but quite costly. I've been retro fitting the FROG/ Matchbox legs as the models need them and on new-builds.

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9357325-italeri-b-57-now-has-a-leg-to-stand-on

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8557400-b-57-modifications-repair-refurbishment-

John

Hi John,

thank you for the comment, the interesting links and the advice with the SAC undercarriage legs. Didn´t realize that this was such a widespread problem. Generally I´m reluctant spending too much money for aftermarket products and prefere the do-it-yourself approach. These Canberras are bad tailsitters and as I usually add more nose weight than the manufacturers suggest, I had a lot problems with bend landing gears. Additionally Airfix and Italeri use very soft styrene which is very helpful for sanding and scratch-building, but bad for long-time presentation. Hope the problem is solved with the nails now, but you can ask in 25 years again what has happened ! :)

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

Good looking B-57, Mario. Its good to see that your older kits got the needed TLC to bring them back on display.

Got this one in my stash too, so i am warned about the under carriage.

Silvering decals can disturb the whole build, the idea to made cuts with a sharp knife is used by me too but i am using future or an acrylic glossy varnish.

On my newer builds i am polishing the surface with tooth paste for example, works for me.

Did you post pictures of your B-26 here ?

• Like 2

Hi Bernd,

just saw that you wrote a comment, too. You are right. I also prefere clear coat to eleminate silvering. But in this case the decals were applied on glossy surface and sealed with Revell´s old enamel clear (brush painted).

First tried with Tamiya clear, but found that the cement worked better as it had a good capilary effect and softened both decal and undercoat.

The B-26 isn´t ready yet. It is the old Airfix model. It needs a lot of scratch-building, as I want to turn it into an aircraft of the "Farmgate Program" from the early stages of the Vietnam war. Don´t think too many people would be interested in a longtime project with such an old kit.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Hi Bernd,

just saw that you wrote a comment, too. You are right. I also prefere clear coat to eleminate silvering. But in this case the decals were applied on glossy surface and sealed with Revell´s old enamel clear (brush painted).

First tried with Tamiya clear, but found that the cement worked better as it had a good capilary effect and softened both decal and undercoat.

The B-26 isn´t ready yet. It is the old Airfix model. It needs a lot of scratch-building, as I want to turn it into an aircraft of the "Farmgate Program" from the early stages of the Vietnam war. Don´t think too many people would be interested in a longtime project with such an old kit.

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario, sometimes are "special" solutions needed to get a proper result, will put the "plastic glue solution" in mind ! I am quite new here but a long time runner with an old kit and a lot of scratch building is very interesting.

Kits like the Airfix B-26 are still contained in many unbuild collections. And they can still build into nice looking kits, i am looking forward to yours.

Best

Bernd

• Like 2

Hi Bernd,

thank you for the interest. The Idea with the tamiya plastic cement was a kind of "ultima ratio", so be warned. It worked in case of the Canberra, as clear coat and decals were very thick. I wouldnt´t suggest this for a NMF finish for example.

The build of the B-26 is a real interesting project. I know that with the Italeri/Revell models there are better kits on the market, but I had stockpiled some Airfix Invaders in the past that I got for a bargain. I think with a bit of reshaping of the nose and propellers and some additional details in cockpit and bombbay it will turn into a nice model. Also have to scratchbuilt the underwing pylons and weapons load. Decals will be taken from an unused Heller T-28 Trojan sheet and the others will be self-printed. When finished, I could present it together with some pics of the building process as you did with your Focke Wulf 190.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Sounds great Mario, can t wait to see it, did this kit more than twenty years ago and i sadly have it no more, it was a pleasant build and it looked the part so far. The Italeri kit is newer but not always better, the wide recessed panel lines are, to stay kind, a matter of taste.

Got that one in my stash, it looks quite good but my motivation to do it, could be higher ( its the Counter Invader)

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

Thanks Bernd,

this afternoon I made the propellers turn very easily by drawingpins (Heftzwecken :)- had to look into my dictionary ) and small nails. Luis Alfonso has warned me that the engines belong vice versa in the cowlings and I have already changed that. Also did some serious rescribing work (only the straight panel lines) and a "wall" in the nose, so that I can add the guns later from the outside (canules).

The Italeri Counter Invader is also in my stash, together with Squadron´s KC-135 wheels. Also have a nice idea for my second Airfix B-26 - an aircraft from the Bay of Pigs campaign. But first I have to finish this one.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

Sounds great Mario, you have good ideas and a lot of ideas. A Invader from Cuba is not often seen, it seems there are a lot of nice kits coming from you.

Cool stuff. :-)

• Like 2

Hi Uncle Mario:

I haven't seen this magnificent masterwork before, but today while watching what's news about you found the Helos and now this one. Really I liked a lot the labour of love you made with this veteran, and BTW it would have been wonderful to watch all the "reborning" process step by step, to share with the novices or newcommers how to capitalize things that happen to have a wonderful kit to display.

I have bought the Italeri G,the Airfix B/E Patricia Lynn and some three of the old Revell 1/87 nostalgic black offering to build some variants adding new underwing stores in different styles, just "A la Uncle Mario", and was missing the Cammouflaged one who comes over a cessna O 2 in this nicely done late 1960's-early 1970's box, but remembered and rediscovered that this one have missing all the armament the black one has. (The first time I built one in the 80's i don't understand why the kit has underwing pylons and not armament, and thought the one who sold me tis kit second hand has stolen it, but not).

Well, I was always very pleased with the nice built masterpieces and the wonderful reborn masterworks items you post, and many times with the gift of a wonderful tip to improve the building process.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Hi Midnight Cowboy Luis Alfonso,

thank you very much for taking so much time and for all the "likes". The Canberra repair was really a "reborning process". From time to time I like to improve an older model to test new techniques and materials for future builds. But now I promise to concentrate 100% on the Invader. Crafted some armament from old Revell F-16 fuel tanks and epoxy glue this evening and strenghtened the landing gears. Next steps will be the underwing pylons and painting of the engines. Perhaps I will do a project in the Work in Progress Corner next year.

P.S. Obviously you are not only collecting Invaders, but also Germans. Nice you have with Bernd a second German in your friends list ! :)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

Hi Uncle Mario!!!!

I have seen the nice chat both of you have had, and I am believing that in Germany there would be more than one great person interested in Invader Topics, and as I have seen, it would be a great adition to my not too grown friends list here. I Have also seen that he has a store, so it would be nice for you to buy many more kits nearby home ;)

As soon asi have time, I'll see the work of our common friend.

I have been these last days very busy at job and with some things at home that I wanted to do to have manymore comfort for build my models, and hope as soon as possible to have a chance topost something here, obviously not so wonderful masterpieces as your but just to give something to watch for the friends.

Have a nice day plenty of happiness and nice things!!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2

Hi Bernd and Uncle Mario:

Its a real Pleasure to have a real treasure in every friend I have, thank you to you to accept my friendship, hope to be more in contact since today and hope your new year will be more heppier and healthier in every sense to you and your family too!!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 2