FJ-4B Fury, HobbyBoss 1/48

Hi all

Here's my latest build the navalised Sabre and allegedly the best of a great line of aircraft.

3143f030f7c968c5433e7e8a39d3b011.jpg

The kit went together well, tho the instrument panel was poor, I added a spare etch panel (you can barely see it anyway!). Spare seat belts helped the seat to look the business.

af277f7c6aaf5b4a0a0567822fdbd167.jpg

The kit has two main faults, first the nosegear is way too short, presumably modelled on a museum model with a collapsed nose leg oleo. I cut the leg at the end of the fescalated portion and inserted a cut off pin, extending it by 3mm, about seven inches in scale, I then wrapped this in Bare Metal Chrome foil to make up the diameter. The torque links were split and extended and then re-fitted. This gave the model an authentic Fury "stance".

15914cfa7a43a15ba35367e7cccf8516.jpg

Secondly, the kit is supplied with six AMG-12 early Bullpup missiles. Unfortunately the Fury had to carry a guidance pod to use this ordnance which is not included,

AMS resin to the rescue, their guidance pod is back in stock at Sprue Brothers and this provided the solution. Fins are scratch built from a supplied template.

aac65f4e1e2cac50ca3decb53fd1333a.jpg

I loved the markings supplied as one of two options, Marines VMF-323 from 1958.

c1abb3121913b0456671040b2be99bc9.jpgthis time round I tried pre shading the panel lines with Faber Castell artists Pitt pens "shades of grey". I think I need more practice as I was a bit slap dash but this has to be an easy way forward. Again I post shaded lightly using Royal and Langnickel Soft Artists Pastels in greytone.

bec48b323aeaa8dd686e1b1b844d3f52.jpg

That's it, hope you like it.

Next up my biggest (literally) challenge to date, the mammoth 1/48 Trumpeter A-3D-2 Skywarrior.......wish me luck .......

Best

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 10

Thanks both.

Scott, many congrats on your first post on the Britmodeller Forum :-)

Michael, I think you may have a bit of a wait......I opened the box this morning and started on a daunting amount of plastic! There is so much to fit inside the fuse and the two fuse halves are a bit hit and miss dry fitting with nothing inside them. I think this one is really going to test me.

However, it's a challenge, we'll see how it progresses.

TonyS

Edited by dhdove
  • Like 1