HMS Dreadnought 1907, Trumpeter 1/350

I'm building this kit myself at the moment, so I can appreciate the effort, patience and skill you have needed to achieve this. With the number of tiny parts that have pinged off across the room, I'm likely to have only half a ship at the end, and although I want to try some rigging, my eyesight isn't up to matching what you have done here.

The aerial spreaders are outstanding, they show up so prominently on photogaphs of the ship that they really are necessary to make a convincing model. The whole thing captures the look of an iconic ship perfectly.

Cheers,

Paul

I'm building this kit myself at the moment, so I can appreciate the effort, patience and skill you have needed to achieve this. With the number of tiny parts that have pinged off across the room, I'm likely to have only half a ship at the end, and although I want to try some rigging, my eyesight isn't up to matching what you have done here.

The aerial spreaders are outstanding, they show up so prominently on photogaphs of the ship that they really are necessary to make a convincing model. The whole thing captures the look of an iconic ship perfectly.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your kind words (this goes for everybody else here too).

That (see red sentence) is exactly what I thought about Dreadnought. - hence my efforts to have them spreaders produced.

May be some magnifying device can help? I could (still) do it without, but only just.

Ingo

Very nice Ingo,well done.And a great tip on doing the aerial spreaders,I'd been wondering how to tackle those little suckers, and your method has provided a solution.Did you space the starfish by eye or use some form of template?

Thanks for your effort on getting WEM to bring them out,fortunately I ordered 2 sets before their unfortunate demise.

Dave.

Thanks for your effort on getting WEM to bring them out,fortunately I ordered 2 sets before their unfortunate demise.

Dave.

If you should have any spare after your build Dave, I know where they could find a very good, loving home.....!! :winkgrin:

Lol!Sorry Keefr22,have 3 (I must be bloody mad!) Dreadnoughts to tackle,just started the Zvezda kit with a Pontos detail set which includes the aerial spreaders and a bucket load of other etch :banghead:

It will be interesting to see who takes on the WEM line when everything settles down,it would be a shame if they disappeared.A Russian company,North Star also produce Dreadnought etch sets.

Dave.

Three?? I thought I was mad with one! I hope Peter Hall will produce them again in his Atlantic Models range. I know he concentrates on post WW2 stuff, but he's listing some WW1 sets as forthcoming. That Pontos set looks very nice & I heard at the club meeting last night they are apparently releasing one for the Trumpy kit with some modifications to get it to fit. Typical after I bought the two Eduard sets....!!

Good luck with your builds!

Keith

A couple of years to retirement,should have plenty of time then,hopefully,if I'm not already gaga,they'll help on the way to complete madness.Another problem is that Trumpy have produced a 1/700th Dreadnought,and I'm feeling tempted,its such an iconic ship I just can't help myself!

Had a word with the Pontos guy at Telford asking about the detail set for the Trumpy kit and he just said that its on the drawing board still.They are beautiful sets,expensive yes,but the detail is astonishing.Just put on the wood deck,nice but fiddly IMO,think I'll paint on the others,we'll see.

Dave.

A couple of years to retirement,should have plenty of time then,hopefully,if I'm not already gaga,they'll help on the way to complete madness.Another problem is that Trumpy have produced a 1/700th Dreadnought,and I'm feeling tempted,its such an iconic ship I just can't help myself!

Had a word with the Pontos guy at Telford asking about the detail set for the Trumpy kit and he just said that its on the drawing board still.They are beautiful sets,expensive yes,but the detail is astonishing.Just put on the wood deck,nice but fiddly IMO,think I'll paint on the others,we'll see.

Dave.

Don't bank on it Dave - I'm already retired & as everyone else says, don't know how I ever had time to work! To be honest, sourced from somewhere like Lucky Model I think the Pontos set is a bit of a bargain - I actually paid more for the two Eduard sets & a set of Master gun barrels!

Apologies Ingo for dragging your thread a bit O/T .

Keith

Very nice Ingo,well done.And a great tip on doing the aerial spreaders,I'd been wondering how to tackle those little suckers, and your method has provided a solution.Did you space the starfish by eye or use some form of template?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

the Kagero book about Dreadnought (mentioned above) contains a 1/350 scale drawing - I measured the space between the spreaders according to that (to my best ability...)

Brilliant model,love the close ups ,excellent piece of work :popcorn::popcorn:

Got to agree with Chewitt,and they are like a magnet drawing me in,have to keep looking at them.

Have got the Kagero book,and another good tip Ingo,thanks.

Dave.

• Like 1