Sea Fury SR661 Colours?

Paul Bradley

Thanks, Pete. I don't recall where the plans came from - I made a photocopy some years ago and I have no idea where they came from...sorry! They may (I stress may) have come from an old Scale Models mag.

BTW, I am planning on tackling this conversion in 1/48 shortly.

this might sound terrible but I am tempted to let you do all the hard work in 1/48th and then quiz you on how you did it once you're finished! :)

thanks for the offer of having a look in the loft for me, assume the Vc/Seafire prop/blades are a close-ish match the one used on the prototype Fury?

Have to study the photos that are available and as you say use some good old fashion guess-imating?

Pete

The Spitfire blades are not well shaped, for a Spitfire at least, without doing some checking I have no idea if the could be modified. I was only talking about a possible spinner, and that was a trying to think of a spinner that might be useable with a bit if work.

For blades, using on of the spare sets of blades in an Eduard Tempest.

There are replacements for the HC kit blades, but they may also be usable with work.

Again, this requires digging out kits and references!

It is of interest, as I want to do Sabre and Griffon Fury's, I'd not though about the early Fury though.

PS looking at the pics on page 1, SR661 was fitted with a 5 blade prop later on anyway.

For the 1/72, I used a prop and spinner from an old Matchbox Tempest, with the blades suitable shortened. I have an Eduard 1/48 Tempest with a replacement resin prop and spinner, so I'm intending to use those. Other than that, it'll be the Hobbycraft kit suitably modified.

The Spitfire blades are not well shaped, for a Spitfire at least, without doing some checking I have no idea if the could be modified. I was only talking about a possible spinner, and that was a trying to think of a spinner that might be useable with a bit if work.

There are replacements for the HC kit blades, but they may also be usable with work.

It is of interest, as I want to do Sabre and Griffon Fury's, I'd not though about the early Fury though.

PS looking at the pics on page 1, SR661 was fitted with a 5 blade prop later on anyway.

yes I think later SR661 had both the 5 bladed prop and also the standard Sea Fury tail but I don't think it ever had the wing fold or the longer arrestor hook. I suppose the attraction with the shorter tail etc is that you have a Fury that looks very different, but you can model it as a fairly standard airframe but the camouflage uppers and the yellow undersides.

I have a good few resin spinners and blades as replacements for the Hobbycraft parts, so I can experiment with a spinner and props to see what I can come up with?

• 5 years later...
On 13/07/2015 at 00:47, Troy Smith said:

On 13/07/2015 at 07:50, erewhon1872 said:

yes I think later SR661 had both the 5 bladed prop and also the standard Sea Fury tail but I don't think it ever had the wing fold or the longer arrestor hook. I suppose the attraction with the shorter tail etc is that you have a Fury that looks very different, but you can model it as a fairly standard airframe but the camouflage uppers and the yellow undersides.

I have a good few resin spinners and blades as replacements for the Hobbycraft parts, so I can experiment with a spinner and props to see what I can come up with?

Well, here's a thread from the past!

I have the Airfix Sea Fury, I would like to model SR661.

Was there a point where SR661 wore the Temperate Scheme with yellow undersides, in addition to 5 blade prop and Sea Fury tail (from Airfix kit)?

I believe the only required change is to shorten the tail hook and fill in the wing fold lines.