Dornier Do 217 Italeri 1/72 - Two versions

JWM

Hi,

Next German birds from my shelvs. A Dornier-217 family members. Different as much as possible (engines, cockpits, wings). One is Dornier Do 217 K-2, a long wingspan version used for anti-ship attacks using guided bombs. It is 6N+BD from Stab. IV Gruppe KG 100, South of France, 1944. She opearated on Mediterranean Sea war theatre. It is RLM 72/73 camo overpainted by RLM 76 "waves".

The second one is night fighter Do 217 N-2 (scratch conversion from N-1 in box), 3C+HM, 4./NJG4 based in Junnicourt, France also in 1944. This is RLM 75 waves over overal RLM 76.

Comments welcomed :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Do 217 K-2:

do 217 k2 DSC02932do 217 k2 DSC02934do 217 k2 DSC02933do 217 k2 DSC02935

do 217 k2 DSC02936

Do 217 N-2:

do 217 n2 DSC02927do 217 n2 DSC02928do 217 n2 DSC02929do 217 n2 DSC02930do 217 n2 DSC02931

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 22

Nice work J-W! I like both, but my preference is for the night fighter version based on the sleek sinister look it has. I would like to complete mine sometime soon, always the same story though! Too much other work to get done. :)

• Like 1

Thank you Gentelmen for kind words.

The Dorniers that sank the Roma were from KG 100, am I correct?

I think so, but it was as far as I remember with Hs-293 missiles not Fritz-X. I do not remeber if they were fired actually from Dorniers KG-100, I am sorry... - but this is very likely:)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Great builds with a superlative paint job, well done. The bombers who sunk the Roma came from KG100 there was a documentation in the

"Flugzeug Classic" magizine.

Sold my Do 217 N/J this spring on Ebay . After seeing your builds, maybe a mistake.

Well done

• Like 1

Couple of nicely builtmodels and I do like the Luftwaffe "Wellenmuster" camo (translation Wave Pattern) it makes them look very different to the stock schemes

I presume they were airbrushed, what brush and paints were you using? I notice the pattern on the Nachtjager is a lot "rougher". Was this from photos or airbrush problems (no criticism intended, it took me several goes to get a good one!).

I know from reference photos the real thing varied considerably as airfield conditions for field camo were often not ideal and the skills of the individuals applying them also varied which gave a big variety

• Like 1

I presume they were airbrushed, what brush and paints were you using? I notice the pattern on the Nachtjager is a lot "rougher". Was this from photos or airbrush problems (no criticism intended, it took me several goes to get a good one!).

In both cases it was a normal ("hair" not "air" :) ) brush work with Humbrol enmalies. I used a my own mix for RLMs colours. I dilute with thinner. I was doing those Dorniers one after another or even rather simultanously. It was about 2000. The difference in "sharpness" of waves was intentional. The profiles for them published in some Czech model magazine showed this difference - Nightfighter N2 was sparyed with diffesed borders of waves, whereas bomber K2 has sharp borders. Using brush it is difficult to made diffuse (or fading) borders of colours - I use technique of dry brush to immitate this lack of sharpness....I am still working with brush, somehow....

Cherrs

Jerzy-Wojtek

You must have been all wiggled out after such paint jobs and must have needed a new lens prescription! Not to mention the valium to stop you shaking...

Great paint jobs with a brush, of all things.

JR

• Like 1